Morewood Zula 27.5? Anyone riding one?

Bat-ass

Are any of you guys riding the new (ish) Morewood Zula 27.5?

They get good reviews on the web (mainly UK), but wanting to know how the local guys are finding them for local marathon / XC conditions?

Cheers,

Hi Bat-ass

I'm riding one, just did Sani2C on it. As with most bike review opinions it starts with "it depends". The slack head angle, 120mm fork and handling oriented geometry make it an absolute blast through single track and on descents. It is no epic or vipa though, you will pay the price of your fun when the road turns up or when you're trucking along flat (boring) dirt roads. That's not to say it can't climb or roll out long flat roads, it just won't be as fast or as efficient as the 29er steeds that will be passing you on those sections.

I love the bike, but if you're leaning towards marathon or xc racing there are much better options. If you're looking for a bit of swiss-army knife of a bike then the zula 27.5 would be a great options. As long as you're happy to climb a little slower.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum myself at this point as I'm trying to work out whether or not to take the marathon racing or stage racing a bit more seriously. If I do then I will definitely switch to one of the marathon specific 29er options (epic, vipa, anthem, fourstroke, etc.), the speed difference is significant.

In the meantime I'll try very hard to wipe the smile off my face as I push the zula through single track like Hakahana, Van Gaalens, Karkloof or Cascades...

Hope that helps, if you have any specific questions let me know.

I would love to try one, I have the 26er and really enjoy that bike!

But the Pyga 120.............drool!

I think you're looking at the wrong bike for XCO/XCM riding. The Zula does however seem to be a versatile, everyday kind of bike. 

However, I have my reservations. Morewoods were the bikes to have and were trailblazers when the calendar on your wall still read "2002". To me, Morewood is similar to Aston Martin - a slowly dying brand that banks on its heritage and customers' nostalgia. 

Carefully consider your riding style and buy a bike that would compliment that.