Anyone on a vegan diet?

Farmer Angus is the only pure grass-fed and finished beef operation in South Africa.

Angus runs a fantastic operation and is highly ethical in his operations. All his animals are very happy and well treated. The quality of the beef and his free range eggs, properly so-called, are second to none. He is my supplier of choice.

There are other pasture-based meat producers all over the country. The consumer's choice is not limited to Spier BD though.

Edited by Blackbeard

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegetarian for 12 years now. Was only going to do it for a month but started feeling better and dropped 6 kg (I am only 156 cm tall so that was a big difference to me).

Tried to become a RAW vegan a couple years ago but the wife (Afrikaans, blue bulls supporter who eats meat) was no amused, to quote "you can eat your own F#@king broccoli when you step through the door at night" 

I used have 3-4 days a week where I only ate fruit and veg, subsequently my climbing ability improved and fitness was good. Now going into winter, there is alot less fruit and veg in the house and alot more meat....Climbing ability has suffered LOL

If everyone just made one or two simple changes in selecting meat and animal products more wisely (investigating processes behind its production) we'd be a lot better off...

Same goes for fruit and vegetable imports - eat local, in season when possible.

not totally true. I always get irritated when I see that lovely green/sustainable/holier than thou supermarket's* range of products in my mom's fridge. Five layers of plastic and wrapping to show off a bean grown in kenya.

BUT, there's a rider to it. the transport footprint in food production are a small proportion of the total chain. Maybe I can find the podcast, but they looked at an extreme example of tomatoes in britain being grown locally in hothouses VS an import from portugal where they thrive naturally. lower footprint on the latter.

*ja, obviously i'm talking to you, Woolies

not totally true. I always get irritated when I see that lovely green/sustainable/holier than thou supermarket's* range of products in my mom's fridge. Five layers of plastic and wrapping to show off a bean grown in kenya.

BUT, there's a rider to it. the transport footprint in food production are a small proportion of the total chain. Maybe I can find the podcast, but they looked at an extreme example of tomatoes in britain being grown locally in hothouses VS an import from portugal where they thrive naturally. lower footprint on the latter.

It's a case of us consumers wanting everything to be available regardless of the season we're in and when it should be produced. Eat things ONLY in season, and that problem goes away. Not that simple, mind, but it makes things more achievable and such in the longer term. 

I've been vegetarian for about 13 years now, and went vegan for a year or so, but back on a little dairy. Initially it was for health benefits, but I've grown softer to the animals' cause. About 2 years ago I was having doubts about my diet and my physical performance (mostly cycling and a little running). I stumbled upon a book by trail runner Scott Jurek and I've since read as much as I could find on the guy. All previous doubts about endurance exercise and plant based diets are long out the window. When you push hard, it hurts. Meat eaters too. If you are curious about veg diet, your body is probably trying to tell you something. Pay attention to how you feel and find out more on the subject. If inspiration is what you need, Scott Jurek may have a message ( and a recipe or 2) for you.

Frank Medrano is legendary!!

No - King Leonidas of Sparta was legendary.

William Wallace was legendary.

Robin Hood, Ghenghis Khan, Alexander the Great, Hannibal... All legendary.

This guy may be legendary in "Camp"s Bay, though.

Vegan - Old Cherokee word for bad hunter.

The stuff that I eat is on a vegetarian diet.

Hehehehe

Francois,

Read up some on former WorldTour PRO, Dave Zabrisky, also known as DZ. he competed at the highest level as a vegan.

Hehehehe

Francois,

Read up some on former WorldTour PRO, Dave Zabrisky, also known as DZ. he competed at the highest level as a vegan.

Aaaah but it wasn't only vegan[emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji6]

Hat, coat, door[emoji11] [emoji13]

Hehehehe

Francois,

Well yes that's true. And EPO is vegan fortunately. Not just rumors and conjecture. He admitted this

Been a meat eater my whole life but I've been thinking about the whole animal farming business of late.

Dunno why, really.

It just seems that a huge amount of cruelty goes into the farming and slaughtering processes to put that piece of chicken/beef/lamb on your plate.

ALL meat in SA is slaughtered halaal which, as far as I know, means that the animal's jugular gets cut by a guy with a knife...that's simply an inhumane thing to do to a cow or other mammal.

Battery chicken farming is on a whole different level of cruelty...

It's not as simple a matter as, "yussis, steak is lekker hey..."

I looked into how the piece of steak or chicken ended up on my plate and both me and my wife went vegetarian. The cruelty in the industry is beyond imagination and make places like Auswitchz look like holiday camps. In most cases the death of the animal before being skinned and chopped up is not necessary. Many cows are skinned while fully concious. Chickens are often killed be being put into boiling water. Pigs - won't even go there.

As far as my cycling performance goes, been vegetarian for about 14 years. Last 3 races, all over 100km, all sub 3's and I am 55.

Protein is available from a number of sources and nothing special is required to get sufficient quantities.

I agree with you here - packaging (and over-packaging) is rife in this country. And beyond packaging woolies are extremely dishonest with things like applying the organic and free range labels to things that aren't (like their milk).

There may be a case for some vegetable growing to be expensive when locally produced - but cutting out most, if not all of your meat intake is far better across the board in terms of energy costs of production.

Been a meat eater my whole life but I've been thinking about the whole animal farming business of late.

Dunno why, really.

It just seems that a huge amount of cruelty goes into the farming and slaughtering processes to put that piece of chicken/beef/lamb on your plate.

ALL meat in SA is slaughtered halaal which, as far as I know, means that the animal's jugular gets cut by a guy with a knife...that's simply an inhumane thing to do to a cow or other mammal.

Battery chicken farming is on a whole different level of cruelty...

It's not as simple a matter as, "yussis, steak is lekker hey..."

Any idea what a "free range" or "barn" whatever chicken eats?

Just asking because I actually know.  You WILL be surprised.

"Free Range Eggs" - Yeah right!

Grain fed - yes of course they are grain fed....and so on.

Edited by Sepia

Wow to all the people who are so worried about the planet. Let's be real. This world is a bit of a toilet. Do you know how your leather shoes were made? I doubt they waited for the cow to live out his final years in luxury. Same goes with your goose feather pillow. If you took time to look absolutely everything has its problems. I get that you think you are doing this world a favor and it makes you feel better. Not the same for me I guess. I suppose each to their own. We are individuals and we are allowed that!

Incredibly narrow-sighted post. Yes, there probably are issues with everything, but if you adopt a philosophy of "everything is broken, so why bother" then you're basically throwing your hands up and saying "I'm too lazy to take any form of responsibility for it". You can make choices in your life which reduce your impact from being part of a broken system and you can help others to make them too, without being preachy or forcing your philosophy on anyone.

Even if the motive was only to feel good about yourself, then it would still be a better rationale than the one you just put forward.

Feeling entitled to make lazy decisions and using an excuse of individualism is as bad as feeling that you're entitled to an opinion... Put some substance behind your words.

We live in societies, not as individuals, and we have a responsibility to learn, inform and change the things that are broken - even if some of these choices will only ever get as far as tokenism.