Show us your KOMs on Strava

Ryno.

snip snip...

Halfway you should be about 1:50 - 1:53. The average speed for 3:45 is 19.3Km/h, so I'd try keep your average speed at at 19.5 - 20 Km/h. Try not stand until you're around the right bend (halfway). You will know how long you can hold a standing sprint for... 

Up to the RH bend it's pretty flat, so I agree no need to stand.  To the bend I normally just ride a hardish tempo, easish gear, and then hit the "steep" part with a HTFU slog.  I normally need to stand once just to stretch the legs.  Oh and I try to ride this in one gear, once you gear down, your time is gone.  I think a 53x17 works for me to the bend, a 53x19 just after??

Edited by Underachiever

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, so you do my normal route in reverse.

When you feel like it, turn right at the robot, and keep going to the top of Wessel Str, a real little tester. Segments to the right called "little Gemsbok"/"water tower short climb" 

I've done that once before, need to do it again soon.

I often come out this way and then head over to Linksfield Drive, Silvia's etc. as I've got a mate that stays at the top of the ridge. 

Up to the RH bend it's pretty flat, so I agree no need to stand.  To the bend I normally just ride a hardish tempo, easish gear, and then hit the "steep" part with a HTFU slog.  I normally need to stand once just to stretch the legs.  Oh and I try to ride this in one gear, once you gear down, your time is gone.  I think a 53x17 works for me to the bend, a 53x19 just after??

yeah I'm too weak for that gearing

Definitely got a 3:45 in me.

Did a 3:56 today, and that’s after stopping at the traffic light as the segment starts so that I could chat to some guy who doesn’t know about social distancing, and then giving up 3/4 of the way up so I backed off.

Oh, and I stared the segment on Strava, and because I’m friends with LWB on Strava my Garmin was displaying his time as the time to beat.

Edited by ouzo

Did a 3:56 today, and that’s after stopping at the traffic light as the segment starts so that I could chat to some guy who doesn’t know about social distancing, and then giving up 3/4 of the way up so I backed off.

Oh, and I stared the segment on Strava, and because I’m friends with LWB on Strava my Garmin was displaying his time as the time to beat.

I was also there today with the MTB, yoh that 1st little kicker!!!!

• 2 months later...

Something minor for the paid folk.

Did they copy Garmin?

Here's a quick look at Strava's new Statmaps, which allow you to quickly add hashtags to create overlays atop maps within your Strava feed.

All the official tags are listed here:

Pace #PaceMap - Darker colors are faster paces 
Speed #SpeedMap - Darker colors are faster speeds 
Heart Rate #HeartrateMap - Darker colors are higher heart rates 
Elevation (Absolute) #ElevationMap - Darker colors are higher elevation/altitudes 
Elevation (Gradient) #GradientMap - Red is climbing, Green is descending 
Power #PowerMap - Darker colors are higher power outputs 
Time #TimeMap - Darker colors appear later in the activity 
Temperature #TemperatureMap - Red is hotter
Edited by Frosty

Quick update on this

My current PR is 3:47 in commute mode.

Something minor for the paid folk.

Did they copy Garmin?

Here's a quick look at Strava's new Statmaps, which allow you to quickly add hashtags to create overlays atop maps within your Strava feed.

All the official tags are listed here:

Pace #PaceMap - Darker colors are faster paces 
Speed #SpeedMap - Darker colors are faster speeds 
Heart Rate #HeartrateMap - Darker colors are higher heart rates 
Elevation (Absolute) #ElevationMap - Darker colors are higher elevation/altitudes 
Elevation (Gradient) #GradientMap - Red is climbing, Green is descending 
Power #PowerMap - Darker colors are higher power outputs 
Time #TimeMap - Darker colors appear later in the activity 
Temperature #TemperatureMap - Red is hotter

I saw this, then immediately thought they copied Garmin. Except its worse, you have to try and remember hashtags

I saw this, then immediately thought they copied Garmin. Except its worse, you have to try and remember hashtags

And it only works in the feed view, not at the map/zoom level. It’s like they did half a job.

Also only works on solo activities, groups activities still orange

Technically, it works on group activities, but only if you look at the You Feed instead of the Following Feed at the top.

Group Activity in the Following Feed vs You Feed

dabcb51d747b1f48a4ccd8f194f555ff.jpg68d7e2469561f9cade53d77b2de54fdd.jpg

Edited by Frosty

I can't remember, where does the segment end? at the robot that goes over the highway or further up after flattening out? I rode this hill about 3 weeks ago with the early morning guys but we turned left over the highway towards all the factories.

Turning right at the robot is another lekker little climb.

EDIT: Don't worry, just checked it out now.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I can't remember, where does the segment end? at the robot that goes over the highway or further up after flattening out? I rode this hill about 3 weeks ago with the early morning guys but we turned left over the highway towards all the factories.

Turning right at the robot is another lekker little climb.

EDIT: Don't worry, just checked it out now.

the official segment seems to turn around at the top by the robot.

I normally turn left there on my commute, but have done the right turn once or twice during training rides. 

I see though that Strava actually calculates your time to somewhere just before the robot.

the official segment seems to turn around at the top by the robot.

I normally turn left there on my commute, but have done the right turn once or twice during training rides. 

I see though that Strava actually calculates your time to somewhere just before the robot.

Create a new segment that starts in that commercial park on the left at the bottom, like in the parking lot of that Portuguese restaurant, and ends in the middle of the intersection. Instant KOM.

Edited by TNT1

Create a new segment that starts in that commercial park on the left at the bottom, like in the parking lot of that Portuguese restaurant, and ends in the middle of the intersection. Instant KOM.

So I saw a segment that was on a route I often rode. Without really zooming in to see the exact start/end points I went and klapped it only to see after the ride it never even registered. After zooming in I checked the oke who created it had made it end in his complex, basically at the gate. I wasn't bothered to try again and race up to the gate only to turn around.