SRAM S2200 Crank Removal - Specialized Epic

Rudi Pollard

So I've been struggling for a while to get my crank loose as the self extracting bolt was extremely tight. I eventually got it loose today after getting some more leverage using a seatpost.

Now I have come accross a new problem. 

On the Specialized you loosen the bolt on the drive side and it comes off easily(once you get the bolt to turn).

What you are left with then is the non drive side and spindle going through the BB. For the life of me I cannot get it to budge. I've banged it with a rubber mallet from a few angles but it is not moving a single millimeter. Am I missing a trick here or has the grease dried up or turned into a paste effectively glueing the crank to the BB?

The BB was replaced a week before Joberg2C so it is just over a month old.

Does anyone have some tips or tricks I can try to get the crank out?

Take the spacers off and it should slide out with minimal force. Maybe a light wack with a soft mallet at most.

Try some heating and cooling - put a soldering iron in the hollow crank and let it warm up a bit then cool down again a couple of times - might help break any corrosion free.

Definitely something seized. Have a look at this video. Around 1m45s in is the crank removal.

Should tap out with a mallet. Perhaps some heating and cooling as per V12man is needed.

I would like to see a pic just to be sure we are talking the same crank.  Specialized also have cranks that split in the middle of the BB like the Campy ones that  can be a pain to remove and worse to put together.  Assuming that we are talking standard Sram S2200 I suggest you have someone support the frame from the opposite side of the bike while you hammer the shaft with a plastic, rubber or pigskin hammer.  This may trash the bearing doing this.

So I've been struggling for a while to get my crank loose as the self extracting bolt was extremely tight. I eventually got it loose today after getting some more leverage using a seatpost.

Now I have come accross a new problem. 

On the Specialized you loosen the bolt on the drive side and it comes off easily(once you get the bolt to turn).

What you are left with then is the non drive side and spindle going through the BB. For the life of me I cannot get it to budge. I've banged it with a rubber mallet from a few angles but it is not moving a single millimeter. Am I missing a trick here or has the grease dried up or turned into a paste effectively glueing the crank to the BB?

The BB was replaced a week before Joberg2C so it is just over a month old.

Does anyone have some tips or tricks I can try to get the crank out?

Some of the specialized cranks need a special tool. It's almost like there is a bolt within a bolt

This is a standard Sram crank on a Specialized bike. I've Googled everything I can think of with no success. I have it quite a good wack with the mallet and it didn't budge. Im scared that I might hurt the frame at this moment...

Edited by lapa

Definitely something seized. Have a look at this video. Around 1m45s in is the crank removal.

Should tap out with a mallet. Perhaps some heating and cooling as per V12man is needed.

I did exactly what the guy in the video did with a lot more force and nothing happened. Its so frustrating!

Take it to Summit cycles in midrand and ask Anton to look at it - better safe than sorry.

My epic;s crank bolt was also insanely tight the first time we took it off - like it had been cranked to 160 foot pounds rather than the spec 160 ich pounds... - took 3 guys and a long lever to get it undone...

Mine too. I had to lever mine with a pipe to get it off my epic. Now on my camber I think it's even tighter. Either a design flaw or over eager mechanic.

I got a shimano crank for my epic for this very reason. Pain in the butt everytime.

I got a shimano crank for my epic for this very reason. Pain in the butt everytime.

Mine is absolutely fine now - no problems removing it - just using the specified torque on the bolt and it's not an issue - the first time was a nightmare...