Building endurance/speed

As most people around here will know from some comments I have made over the last few months, my sister started riding around October last year.

To me, she doesn't really appear to be getting fitter or faster.

I know that part of her issue is she doesn't really understand what I am explaining about gearing the bike, and I don't know how else to explain it to her.

Off road she averages about 10km/h and on the road its about 15km/h, but she constantly wants to stop because she says her legs are burning.

Last Sunday we did 28km on the road and by the end she wanted to throw up and cry.

I found some exercises for off the bike to help build the legs but they don't appear to be helping too much.

She rode a few times while I was out with a broken clavicle with some friends, but, since I have been back on the bike (around the middle of March) she rides with me 3 times a week (Tuesday, Friday and Sunday so it isn't consecutive days on the bike).

She has entered the 947 cycle challenge, so I need to find a way to get her ride that distance by November.

So, to my questions:

1.Am I expecting too much too soon?

2.Does anyone have recommendations on how to build her fitness levels? (Personally I think she just needs time in the saddle and to stop whining, but that approach is clearly not working ;))

3.How do I explain the gearing (3x9) - maybe a video?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think she's probably improving but just not as fast as you want because as you admitted.. You're a drill sergeant and it's Friday

The way someone explained gearing to me, they rode next to me at a constant (doable) speed, they I had to work through the gears to find what effort is required to keep up with them.. When I started I was always on my small wheel (1st gear), thinking it was easiest but I could never keep up.

Gearing choices is very personal, riding long flat stretches I'm usually in my big ting (3) but the girls I ride with all prefer to stay in the middle.

My fitness while still not great improved a lot after spinning. But even that took 3 months of 2x a week before I could start feeling the difference on my bike.

My 2c- don't push too hard before you turn her off it.. She might be the good sister wanting to make big brother happy but if she's hating it ... You're gonna find yourself selling her bike,

The obvious TITS

I taught my other half the gears on a IDT IT LITERALLY took one session on the IDT (it did how ever take 2 rides to translate it out on the real world)

The only thing I can think if her legs are burning and she wants to throw up and cry, is even though her speeds seem too slow some people are just not as fit as we think and while you might see her whining as lazy and soft you may be expecting to much out of her because of your perception of what is "acceptable"

Constantly making her bleed will not help in fact it will just make her pull the plug

Some people need an extra patient coach, and sometimes HTFU you are the volunteer coach must figure it out, just try read her signs better

Lastly obviously positive reinforcing goes a loooong way

Good luck

Personally I think she's probably improving but just not as fast as you want because as you admitted.. You're a drill sergeant and it's Friday

The way someone explained gearing to me, they rode next to me at a constant (doable) speed, they I had to work through the gears to find what effort is required to keep up with them.. When I started I was always on my small wheel (1st gear), thinking it was easiest but I could never keep up.

Gearing choices is very personal, riding long flat stretches I'm usually in my big ting (3) but the girls I ride with all prefer to stay in the middle.

My fitness while still not great improved a lot after spinning. But even that took 3 months of 2x a week before I could start feeling the difference on my bike.

My 2c- don't push too hard before you turn her off it.. She might be the good sister wanting to make big brother happy but if she's hating it ... You're gonna find yourself selling her bike,

Snap uni ;)

As most people around here will know from some comments I have made over the last few months, my sister started riding around October last year.

To me, she doesn't really appear to be getting fitter or faster.

I know that part of her issue is she doesn't really understand what I am explaining about gearing the bike, and I don't know how else to explain it to her.

Off road she averages about 10km/h and on the road its about 15km/h, but she constantly wants to stop because she says her legs are burning.

Last Sunday we did 28km on the road and by the end she wanted to throw up and cry.

I found some exercises for off the bike to help build the legs but they don't appear to be helping too much.

She rode a few times while I was out with a broken clavicle with some friends, but, since I have been back on the bike (around the middle of March) she rides with me 3 times a week (Tuesday, Friday and Sunday so it isn't consecutive days on the bike).

She has entered the 947 cycle challenge, so I need to find a way to get her ride that distance by November.

So, to my questions:

1.Am I expecting too much too soon?

2.Does anyone have recommendations on how to build her fitness levels? (Personally I think she just needs time in the saddle and to stop whining, but that approach is clearly not working ;))

3.How do I explain the gearing (3x9) - maybe a video?

Why are you

writing these posts at  05h26 in the morning and not riding YOUR bike?????

Lots of zone 2 riding. ..her zone 2....and then find a road with a slight gradient...say 2 percent. ...start there..keep that for twelve weeks...get the Joel Friels book and you set. ..good luck....????????????

I suggest making ride fun for her not just a chore. most of us here probably started riding as kids as means of transport or because it was fun the more we rode the fitter we became the more fun we had. choose slow relaxing pace don't push her let her enjoy it  

Where do you ride with her?

I am not a strong rider and I can not ride in a 'hard gear', I prefer spinning (not that I can tell you what my rpm is...never had a meter).

Only doing 28km on the road after 7 months of riding does sound like there must be a problem. Does it seem she is in too hard a gear? Would like to know where you ride with her though, maybe the terrain in too tough...

I want to get on my road bike again (entered 94.7 this week too) and will be willing to go ride with her if she wants other company. Maybe I can pick up something which a strong rider would over look because it comes too natural to them.

What was the time used to cover that 28km?

My advise....be patient, don't judge her ability by the distance...28km at full gas(her threshold and yours will be different) will make anyone cry and want to throw up. So rather do long, slow rides on the weekend....by slow, I mean her slow. Let her set the pace, and aim to ride for 4 hours with a small break in between for coke or munchies. Do this for two months, gradually you will notice the distance will go up for the 4 hour ride....There should be no pressure ito distance and the goal is to have fun, chat and enjoy what you are doing. I think she is trying to keep up with you and whilst you might be sitting idling, she is burning matches, thus she is totally moedeloos by the end of a couple of km's.

In the week, make her do two 45 min IDT sessions. These sessions needs to focus on high intensity(her high intensity)...basically warmup and then bleeding intervals...google tabata for guidelines. These sessions needs to be the total opposite of the weekend rides, they are short but they are extremely tough.

See most people make the long slow distance training too hard and the HIT training too easy. That leads to this nowhere space, this just creates a tired person.

Thanks for all the input.

Will need to maybe find somewhere flatter to ride, Midrand isn't exactly the flattest part of Gauteng.

With regards to the gearing, she either feels like she is spinning and going nowhere or that it is too hard, she doesn't seem to be able to find a happy medium.

Will look into the book, tabata, and cadence meter mentioned.

I accept that our fitness levels and riding abilities are vastly different, it just can be tough to try not to judge, and while I have tried to be patient that is not always my strongest ability.

Moving time on the 28km was 1:58:27, but elapsed time was 2:42:34, so roughly 45 minutes of stopping along the way.

Hayley, I may take you up on that offer.

Just make sure she never uses the small gear in front. I saw with my wife as soon as she gets tired she would shift to the small one, and then we would go nowhere and she is getting burned out.

You can also consider getting her a roadie, once again my wife improved her avr by 5 km/h just by switching bikes.  (14 kg vs 8.5 kg for a person weighing 47 makes a big difference.). 

Thanks for all the input.

Will need to maybe find somewhere flatter to ride, Midrand isn't exactly the flattest part of Gauteng.

With regards to the gearing, she either feels like she is spinning and going nowhere or that it is too hard, she doesn't seem to be able to find a happy medium.

Will look into the book, tabata, and cadence meter mentioned.

I accept that our fitness levels and riding abilities are vastly different, it just can be tough to try not to judge, and while I have tried to be patient that is not always my strongest ability.

Moving time on the 28km was 1:58:27, but elapsed time was 2:42:34, so roughly 45 minutes of stopping along the way.

Hayley, I may take you up on that offer.

As a guy who has ridden Joberg2c, sani2c and transbaviaans with my wife, I understand that patience can difficult. As a fit guy, your slow is probably still too fast and her slow is painful for you.

The above advice is good: keep it fun and slow, let her set the pace. mid week intervals are a good idea. To make it easier (mentally) for you, why don't you try and do insanely hard rides the day before, then you don't mind having a nice slow recovery ride.

Also, try getting other girls involved. It means that she doesn't always feel like she has to keep up with you, and you get some time to ride with the "boys" too (ie hard).

If she stays consistent, she will improve. Just try not put her off by pushing too hard.

Perhaps, sign her up for a gym and let her do spinning and definitely some weights/core work (?).

I know this is counter-intuitive but it could help if she gets a trainer (who's is not related to her) to get her basic strength and fitness up to a decent level.  The spinning classes will help with cadence and general fitness. 

The above is particularly important now that it's getting cold and unpleasant to ride and everyone's motivation wanes...

have a look at www.cycleopsvip.co.za, its not just for the professional and serious cyclists, we have a wide range from those wishing to lose weight to those looking for top results in their cat.

we in Rivonia so traffic might be the only draw back.