Easy on the night lights guys

Quintus

When I ride in the dark, I am like Fikile Mbalula.

I JUST WANT TO BE SEEN.

I make no apologies either......

Perhaps consider an upgrade to your light then..... :)

Have you got your feet unfrostbitten yet after this morning?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out this bad boy for the helmutt...........1600LM.........kaPOW!!

attachicon.gif1600LM BadBoy.jpg

haha, I used to sell some pretty powerful head lights and handlebar\ torches. No stoke at the moment though, and most of them were under R500 a set

I hear your argument.

I am accepting that we are on the same page in terms of our definition of cyclists, this includes us riding our R80k bikes as well as the poor guy riding to work from the squatter camp as he is the only bread winner in a family.

The cost of a reflective jacket = less money to feed his family.

He only owns those black clothes.

Very sad actually.

I think I will make it my mission to donate a few reflective jackets to people less fortunate than myself today.

Een honderd persent. In this instance it was one guy on a dual sus with all the lights in the world.....and 95% black clothing on and a lady running less than 1m from the road dressed in black top, black pants, black shoes, thank goodness she was blonde. Funnily enough 99.9% of blue collar commuters in Joburg either wear something reflective or light coloured enough to make them visible, a lot wear helmets as well which is great to see. I think you have a great idea on donating some reflective kit.

What about REAR lights?

Driving towards rosebank along Bolton yesterday morning at 04h45 - pitch dark, poor viz, trees, wonky streetlights - when I encountered three roadies on a morning training ride.

Well, they're obviously a lot more core than I will ever be but what really struck me is that they had ONE functioning rear light between the three of them.

that's just asking for trouble, in my opinion....

What about REAR lights?

Driving towards rosebank along Bolton yesterday morning at 04h45 - pitch dark, poor viz, trees, wonky streetlights - when I encountered three roadies on a morning training ride.

Well, they're obviously a lot more core than I will ever be but what really struck me is that they had ONE functioning rear light between the three of them.

My rear light is about 1000 lumen I'm sure.  And it strobes at random patterns - like an ambulance.  It's bright enough that nobody rides behind me.

And it genuinely makes a difference on my morning commute (after dawn when its perfectly light) I can visibly see cars giving me a wider berth.   

What about REAR lights?

Apparently they're so fast they only need to see and not be seen

HOW COOL IS THIS BICYCLE LIGHT...........!!!!........here kitty, kitty

7f77baaa6c7159fc3d9e2a8a39c116ac.jpg

NAYN CAT!

My rear light is about 1000 lumen I'm sure.  And it strobes at random patterns - like an ambulance.  It's bright enough that nobody rides behind me.

And it genuinely makes a difference on my morning commute (after dawn when its perfectly light) I can visibly see cars giving me a wider berth.   

Ditto .. this is what I'm running in the rear .. Cygolite Hotspot ... 

post-20017-0-54616100-1433494731_thumb.jpg

You okes are missing the plot.

The OP is talking about a tar road that is closed to vehicular traffic at the time of day he mentions.

The only traffic you're going to see on this road are other cyclists and runners.  It's a smooth, steep, straight stretch of tar. You don't need your lights on bright to ride it.

But even if you're talking about commuting, bike lights are getting too bright. On 'full beam' at night some of the really powerful ones are strong enough to blind motorists for a few seconds.

It's dumb to say, 'well, at least I've been seen' because for that second or two that the car driver is driving blind, it's your buddy riding behind you who'll get taken out.

It's dumb to say, 'well, at least I've been seen' because for that second or two that the car driver is driving blind, it's your buddy riding behind you who'll get taken out.

This reminds me of when I used to dive.  We'd all carry knives, so that if we saw a hungry shark we could stab one our buddies and swim away.  As long as you survive yourself then it's all good.

:ph34r:  :whistling:  

We have some guys that ride with us that use what looks like the standy light from their TV as a read light :whistling:

You okes are missing the plot.

The OP is talking about a tar road that is closed to vehicular traffic at the time of day he mentions.

The only traffic you're going to see on this road are other cyclists and runners.  It's a smooth, steep, straight stretch of tar. You don't need your lights on bright to ride it.

But even if you're talking about commuting, bike lights are getting too bright. On 'full beam' at night some of the really powerful ones are strong enough to blind motorists for a few seconds.

Thanks for brining us back to topic

We came across six MTB riders heading up the tar road towards Rhodes Memorial at about 19:45 tonight.

We were heading in the opposite direction, downhill.

Of the six riders, three had both helmet mount and bar mount lights on full beam, possibly 900 lumens each. While the other three had just bar mounts, also full beam.

I tell you, we had to slow down to allow our eyes to readjust back to low light.

I ride at night often, and in my opinion, going uphill on a tar road does not require two lights on your person, not even one. One on dim is about sufficient.

Anybody agree, or disagree?

It's not lekker having 9 full beams burning your retinas. 

Well theres your problem :ph34r: