Sani2c 2016

Squier

So I have been offered a spot to do the Maluti DOuble 90 Road event on May 7, before Adventure starts on the Wednesday....do I do it or am I being an idiot and will regret it with every pedal stroke up the Umkomaas? 

You have 4 days to recover, which is quite a bit. If you take it easy and eat well after the race you should be ok.

We're doing lunch on top of Sani pass at the highest pub in Africa the day before Day 1. Doing Day 0 by riding up on the Monday before registration for the Trail. Should also bring a bit of a new dynamic to Day 2.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been offered a spot to do the Maluti DOuble 90 Road event on May 7, before Adventure starts on the Wednesday....do I do it or am I being an idiot and will regret it with every pedal stroke up the Umkomaas? 

Do it!

#machine

YWe're doing lunch on top of Sani pass at the highest pub in Africa the day before Day 1. Doing Day 0 by riding up on the Monday before registration for the Trail. Should also bring a bit of a new dynamic to Day 2.

Bloody hell.

I’m hoping to finish the Sani before cut-off and you’re going for a quick Maluti beer at 2874m before the race.

I have always found that I feel much stronger the week after a looong ride over the weekend. It is when I do nothing that I feel totally crap. The Maluti route isn't THAT hard (especially if you doing it in a working team) that it will break you for a week. 

Enjoy all that riding!  :thumbup:

Wish it was me.

Hey, guys. Doing my first sani. I saw some videos of the water bridges and I have gained quite a large fear for them now. Any advice?

Hey, guys. Doing my first sani. I saw some videos of the water bridges and I have gained quite a large fear for them now. Any advice?

Slightly lighter gear (ie. Ride a slightly faster cadence than what you would ride a flat straight section of single track), leave a generous gap to the rider in front of you, too close and it all starts sinking, look ahead, not down, gently steer the bike to stay in the middle of the bridge. Think of it as a very wide piece of single track. Edited by GLuvsMtb

Slightly lighter gear (ie. Ride a slightly faster cadence than what you would ride a flat straight section of single track), leave a generous gap to the rider in front of you, too close and it all starts sinking, look ahead, not down, gently steer the bike to stay in the middle of the bridge. Think of it as a very wide piece of single track.

And ziplock all your electronics...

Sani is really not that difficult to finish before cut-off. Just don't spend too much time at the waterpoints... :whistling:

My brother in law s brother is a farmer in the area.. And literally started training in Easter.... I mean got on a bike for the first time in years this Easter... He's riding in teesavs and boots and there is a 2 crate of beer bet if he walks up climb to McKenzie!... If he can do it.. Anyone can!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

And ziplock all your electronics...

And hope there is no wind on the estuary one.... All that said.. The bridges are pretty easy... Don't stress.. Listen to the advice above

Edited by Stretch

My brother in law s brother is a farmer in the area.. And literally started training in Easter.... I mean got on a bike for the first time in years this Easter... He's riding in teesavs and boots and there is a 2 crate of beer bet if he walks up climb to McKenzie!... If he can do it.. Anyone can!

I am literally shitting myself. I expect to hear your mate above coming up behind me at some stage shouting for track. Have been trying to train through an Irish winter with a new job and have not been nearly as successful as I would have liked

I am literally shitting myself. I expect to hear your mate above coming up behind me at some stage shouting for track. Have been trying to train through an Irish winter with a new job and have not been nearly as successful as I would have liked

For 2 crates of beer he'll probably ride past lots of people....

Clear your mind. Look 5m ahead and ride to that point. Do not focus on your front wheel.

Hi hubbers. I recently changed to a 1X11 setup with a 34t. It has been great and worked just fine for the spruit, up Northcliff Hill, Modder, Northern Farm but on a training ride at Suikerbos yesterday I was fine up until the last big climb. My legs had no power left and I made it to the top in my worst strava time. My question now is, should I change to a 32t for Sani or take a 32t with and get mechanic to change for day 2 only. I'm not too worried about day 1 and 3 on a 34t. Day 2 scares me alot.

My question now is, should I change to a 32t for Sani or take a 32t with and get mechanic to change for day 2 only. 

Take the 32 with. It takes 5min and 2 allen keys to change - you can do it yourself very easily.