'Cheap' tubeless conversion - succesfull!!

NotSoBigBen

I was researching this the other day after my LBS suggested he do a cheapo conversion for me. In the US it's called "Ghetto Tubeless". Checkout this link: http://www.gotubeless.com/

So' date=' had the LBS do the conversion yesterday, will ride it for the 1st time Sat & Sun, will report back.

I got my LBS to use BMX tubes with removeable cores, assume I'll be able to top up with a syringe. I had a half full bottle of Stans, so used this as an initial filler.
[/quote']

Which bikeshop is this lurker?? They deserve theStar ClapClap"Hubbers best service" ClapClapStarStaraward. Awsome, no really If I walk into any bikeshop I know of and ask them to do the ghetto conversion for me they will tell me to Eff off, or they will charge me more than the stans strips cost in the first place..

I must say the guys at actions let me do my own tyres in the back with the compressor and the soapy water, they are nice blokes and dont always pretend they know everything (mabe its cause they know I doLOL)

Name your LBS  StarStarClapStarStar

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slick pm me i have connections!!!!!

Good stuff!!! Thanks.

Now clear your box so that i can send teh pm. Wink

• 2 months later...

I did a ghetto conversion last week using conti 20's. It worked just had some trouble as the the tubes kept slipping down a side of the rim when the tyre was on.

My friend gave me his old tubeless strips as he had bought tubeless rims. I checked and one of the strip is joes and other is stan. the joes covers the whole rim and touches the tyre bead like the ghetto. The stans just covers the rim base. WHat works best and should the ghetto be cut the same size as stans.

• 5 months later...

Hoi BB and other tubeless boffins !!

Question and answer time pse...

1. When using the "bmx tube plan" for a rim strip would it not be better to trim the edges of the tube that hang over the edge before inflating the tyre? In other words trim it so it falls inside the rim?

Just wondering as I'm going back to tubeless on my old Bontrager X lites (UST) but the rim strips I had for them are history. But I do recall that they were much narrower than the example in your bmx tube demo (see below). I've ordered a set of Stans strips as well but I quite like the tube idea and might try it anyways.

2. Also, has anyone used the Schwable Doc Blue sealant, how does it compare to Stans? I will be using Non UST Schwable Racing Ralphs tyres and I know that Stans will work but not sure of the long term effect on the non UST RR rubber? Doc Blue is supposed to be a less agressive sealant...

Ta

20080404_011219_03042008003_sm.JPG

Took a pair of scissor's and cut all the way round on the 'rib' in the centre so that essentially the tube was split and 'hung' over the sides of the rim.

You can trim the overlap before mounting the tyre but it takes forever and you stand the chance of cutting skew and uneven. I thing it is much safer cutting once the tyre has been mounted and has pulled and seated the tube in place.

Have not used Schwable Doc Blue sealant, so can't say....
TNOSE_E2009-08-28 00:26:16

You can trim the overlap before mounting the tyre but it takes forever and you stand the chance of cutting skew and uneven. I thing it is much safer cutting once the tyre has been mounted and has pulled and seated the tube in place.

Have not used Schwable Doc Blue sealant' date=' so can't say....
[/quote']

Tks TNOSE_E

Next Q:

This means that the tube is going to be between the tyre bead and rim, is it not better to have the tyre bead seat without the tube between it and the rim? I thought the strip was meant to seal the rim around the spoke holes on non UST rims and has nought to do around the tyre bead section.

I don't know why everybody strugles with the 20" tube method????

I did my own on my dt swiss rims for nothing and it works beter than any rimstrip!!!

I used black electrical type(insulation type), presta valve cut from old tube, 2 small o-rings and Stans sealant!!!!!

Lightest and best I've ever used!

If you use a UST tyre you maybe right, but for all others they seal much better if they seal directly with the BMX tube rather than directly with the rim. Also getting them to seal will be much easier as both serfaces are rubber and form a slightly tighter fit. the whole idea is to have a sealed enviroment between the tyre and BMX tube for the sealant.

I think if you start including the rim as part of the 'enviroment' it just introduces more areas for failure.

The stans strips are presision cut but also form a seal with the tyre. As to those  Bontrager plastic trips.

That tube, rim and tyre interface kind of makes sense especially with non UST rims. My Bontrager rims are earlier UST compatible rims and not proper UST rims with no spoke holes. The Bontrager rim strips I have are also from +/- 2004/5 and are quite narrow, they fit into the rim / spoke groove and don?t come close to the bead area. I?ve not seen the stans strips installed on a rim so Im not sure how narrow they are, hence my original query.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I don't know why everybody strugles with the 20" tube method????

I did my own on my dt swiss rims for nothing and it works beter than any rimstrip!!!

I used black electrical type(insulation type)' date=' presta valve cut from old tube, 2 small o-rings and Stans sealant!!!!!

Lightest and best I've ever used!
[/quote']

Chill, who said anything about struggling. Just running through the process in my head.

Anyways as pointed out in earlier the idea is that the tube overlap method improves the tyre bead / rim sealing and installation process, whereas the tape method only seals the spoke holes.

The only reason I did it was as Tnose_E said it was easier to cut .......

Regard - whatever floats your boat son!

The only reason I did it was as Tnose_E said it was easier to cut .......

Regard - whatever floats your boat son!

About time you spoke up!! Wink

Ok so where are the Doc Blue users??? need some expurt comparisons of Doc Blue vs Stans, especially WRT effect on non UST tyres and usefull life (how long it stays liquid).

merci...

How can I use a compressor to pump up my tubeless tires when using the thin valve? Some people say a floor pump will work but i'm struggling. I have Specialized Fast Trak wire bead tires.  Do you use a special attachment gun for the compressor, because I don't want to use a co2 canister every time?

How can I use a compressor to pump up my tubeless tires when using the thin valve? Some people say a floor pump will work but i'm struggling. I have Specialized Fast Trak wire bead tires.  Do you use a special attachment gun for the compressor' date=' because I don't want to use a co2 canister every time?[/quote']

I never came right with Specialized tyres. Side walls so soft they dont hold.

BigBen hope you dont mind me adding some pictures to your threadEmbarrassed

Did the conversion at home last week, what a mission if you dont have a garage / garden / place to do this in. Took some pics of the conversion ala apartment... turned out quite easy to do using stans and stans rim strips.

Assuming you have the wheels, rim strip ect.. here's some other stuff that comes in handy

20090906_132540_DSCF1674_Small.JPG

Why the shower? Did I mention i live in a flat with no space to work on stuff... well it makes life easier if you can work on the wheel in the upright position and it's easy to contain and clean any excess soapy water / sealant

20090906_132820_DSCF1675_Small.JPG

Make sure the tyre is fitted correctly regarding rotation direction, before you put in any sealant or inflate, it is irritating to find out afterwards while admiring your new conversion that the tyre is the wrong way around...

20090906_133335_DSCF1676_Small.JPG

Then its time to move outside onto the balcony to do the shakey shake, leak test and bucket procedure

20090906_133048_DSCF1673_Small.JPG

While waiting for sealant to do it's trick during the bucket procedure, time for a quick cuppa

20090906_133539_DSCF1672_Small.JPG
SwissVan2009-09-06 13:40:19