Mixing power meter and display unit brands

GaryvdM

I'm looking into buying a power meter (again).

I'm heavily leaning towards the PowerTap C1 power meter. I love that you can fit it onto your existing crank, and as far as I can tell, it's the cheapest crank spider power meter on the market today.

But on the display unit side, the PowerTap Joule GPS+ does not impress me that much. The lack of a manual start stop function is a showstopper for me. I'm leaning towards getting a Garmin Edge 500 or Garmin Edge 510.

How well does it work mixing different brands of power meter and display unit? In theory, it should just work as they both use Ant+, but how well does it work in practice. I am worried about hidden gotchas. Anyone have experience with doing this?

Edited by GaryvdM

as the new PowerTap C1 will work on ANT+ and BLE (Bluetooth 4.0 or Bluetooth Smart) any head unit / phone that is able to read this data and has the power functionality built in will work with the power meter, 

RE the stop watch function, the PowerTap Joule GPS+ does have this ability, simply turn record functionality to prompted 

Oh. OK, Thanks. I read that it could not do it here: www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/11/cycleops-joule-gps-in-depth-review.html. I presume this has changed since that review was written.

i just tested this out on the new Joule GPS+ once the unit has acquired the signal you will be promoted as when you want to start recording the ride and you can then manually end the recording when you finish, is this what you want? within the ride you can also set intervals ?? 

So far I have not had any problems with these combinations:

Garmin 500 -> Powertap

Garmin 510 -> Powertap

Garmin 810 -> Powertap

Joule GPS -> Powertap

Garmin 510 -> Stages

Garmin 810 -> Stages

Joule GPS  -> Stages

All using Ant+

i just tested this out on the new Joule GPS+ once the unit has acquired the signal you will be promoted as when you want to start recording the ride and you can then manually end the recording when you finish, is this what you want? within the ride you can also set intervals ?? 

Yes. I want to be able to hit start at the begging of a race, hit stop at the end, and not have it auto pause the time when I have to stop, due to say getting a puncture.

Do you guys have a show room in Forways/Rivonia that I can come and look at the devices?

Edited by GaryvdM

Yes. I want to be able to hit start at the begging of a race, hit stop at the end, and not have it auto pause the time when I have to stop, due to say getting a puncture.

Do you guys have a show room in Forways/Rivonia that I can come and look at the devices?

Sure the PowerTap Joule GPS+ should do that, i will test it when i race between robots on my way home this evening.

We located @ 1st Floor Rivonia 777 Building CNR Rivonia & 7th Ave Rivonia.