Flat Road Training

I live in Blouberg and have the wonderful opportunity to commute to work Tues to Thurs doing anything from 20 - 30 km before arriving at work. The route is obviously very flat and was wondering what training I could do on route to simulate hill climbing/build some strength.

wait till the wind blows :whistling:

Jip and use it!!

There are calculators. http://www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/aerodynamics1.html

To do 25km/h into a head wind of 32km/h is about the same effort as climbing a 5% hill at 25km/h.

A head wind of 27km/h = about a 4% hill.

If I am in Somerset West, there is a road that runs out to Kuils River, flat as a pancake, but if the South Easter is blowing, its perfect for interval training trying to come back.

Blouberg to Paarden Eiland. From home to work is about 14 km so the the other 10 k's are done working Blouberg Hill which is more like a long bridge and then its 14km flat bicycle lane to work. I do some intervals by using lampposts as counters.

I'm sure riding into a strong headwind counts on a flat road.

That's in summer but now with winter there either is no wind or the NWester blows me to works.

Count your blessings on windless days and enjoy. You'll be doing plenty of training in summer when the SE returns :)

Return cycle come to town first and cycle up Kloofnek then head back down and go home! 

Edited by Jakkels