Sani with the family

CogitoErgoSum

Good morning

I got an entry into the Sani 2016 Adventure. Never contemplated of doing it - normally I implode around 65km...

Anyway, is it possible to make the Sani a family outing? Have anyone done it this way? Accomodation close by? Are there spectator points along the route? Easily accessible? Toilet facilities as kids are coming along?

Thanks in advance

#spelling/grammar

Edited by cjlieben

underberg has accommodation nearby, mckenzie has accommodation nearby, jolivet?

alternatively...theres camping facilities available at all the race offices and I am pretty sure family members can buy a meal band each night too

While it sounds great in theory, there won't be much time for family so I don't know if it'll be an enjoyable trip for them. 

There are spectator points on route, and there are accommodation options to choose from, by the time you finish the day, clean your bike, get your stuff sorted out, etc. it's pretty much time to hit the sack. Spectators aren't allowed into the race villages either so they can't come eat with you / join for race briefings.

The race village at Mckenzie and Jolivet are the problem for family, however there was a woman we met at Jolivet that was accompanying her husband (seconding) and she had managed to get a meal band so perhaps check with the organisors first.  

I think it would be boring for young kids.

While it sounds great in theory, there won't be much time for family so I don't know if it'll be an enjoyable trip for them. 

There are spectator points on route, and there are accommodation options to choose from, by the time you finish the day, clean your bike, get your stuff sorted out, etc. it's pretty much time to hit the sack. Spectators aren't allowed into the race villages either so they can't come eat with you / join for race briefings.

both you and your family just end up chasing your tails, been there done that a few times, as said above not the most scenic/safe drive around for the family to chase to the spectator points, one year they wouldnt let my 5 year old in to use the ladies, i understand its hard to control people in //out but rather pay for them to meet you at the end and make a short holiday out of it,, you and they will get double the value out of the money spent

2015 adventure had loads of families chasing riders (actually back markers). after a while you get to know them, after a while they give you free beer, I mean drink. SO if you are doing the adventure please tell them to bring lots of supplies.

Serious though despite what everyone says, its a jol for them as well as they are chasing you. That sheer excitement of hurry up and wait, and hope they did not beat you to the spectator point!

Our families came along for the trail. Made a week long holiday of it, stayed in Underberg before the race and in Scottburgh for the duration of the race (and a bit afterwards). So if some of the kids didn't want to come along to support a particular day they could spend the day at the beach.

There is a map you get at registration with all the spectator points - however the map is not always correct, our supporters really struggled to find some of the points even with the help of a GPS (especially Day 3). All spectator points are accessible by normal cars but some of the gravel roads were a bit hair-raising.

At some of the spectator points they were really treated - also got free Burgers at the Nando's waterpoint, free breakfast at the floating bridge on Day 1 and at one or 2 places even a small play park for them. 

So definitely do-able with kids, you just need to plan properly

Good morning

I got an entry into the Sani 2016 Adventure. Never contemplated of doing it - normally I implode around 65km...

Anyway, is it possible to make the Sani a family outing? Have anyone done it this way? Accomodation close by? Are there spectator points along the route? Easily accessible? Toilet facilities as kids are coming along?

Thanks in advance

#spelling/grammar

Absolutely, we did this last year, and made a trip out of it. Stayed a few extra days and rode up the Sani pass, etc.

Two words.... Camper Van! get one/two of those.

Sani2C caters for them from a parking point of view, its MUCH nicer staying in them than one of those tents, and WAY more convenient to have a moveable base of operations when it comes to logistics, kit and parts etc. You can still use the race villages too! Best of all, the kids love it!

Like it was mentioned above, they hand out maps, and the camper vans follow to the spectator points, where they can act as support too.

It really is a win win, it makes your Sani more enjoyable and it includes the rest of the family, its a mini adventure for them too.

Edited by Patchelicious

Our families came along for the trail. Made a week long holiday of it, stayed in Underberg before the race and in Scottburgh for the duration of the race (and a bit afterwards). So if some of the kids didn't want to come along to support a particular day they could spend the day at the beach.

There is a map you get at registration with all the spectator points - however the map is not always correct, our supporters really struggled to find some of the points even with the help of a GPS (especially Day 3). All spectator points are accessible by normal cars but some of the gravel roads were a bit hair-raising.

At some of the spectator points they were really treated - also got free Burgers at the Nando's waterpoint, free breakfast at the floating bridge on Day 1 and at one or 2 places even a small play park for them.

So definitely do-able with kids, you just need to plan properly

Thanks. Exactly what I am hoping to do. Will have to plan properly then. Alternative would be to drop me and riding partner at the start, and send them down to Scottborough. And then spend few days there after.

Edited by cjlieben

Very interested to see how differently people approach the same race. I never would have thought taking the family could even remotely work. Holiday before or after, yes, but them following the race, I'm amazed. You're never to old to learn.

Now I have to see if I can convince the wife to follow me around with a camper van and then sommer also serve as a masseuse ........Naaaaa, will never work for me, she'll see right through my dastardly plan. :D