Alex Harris racing Tour Divide

Tieffels

Some might know that Alex Harris is busy racing the Great Divide against what seems to be a very strong field.

Some context regarding his attempt:

He gave himself 3 years to try and break the record. In 2013 he “scouted” the route and came 3rd. In 2014 he was forced to pull out after falling though unseasonably thick snow and buggering up both his ankles fairly early on. So this is his 3rd attempt at the record and he’s giving it horns, but so are the 3 guys ahead of him.

Live tracking: http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide15

Alex is averaging just shy of 350km/day. After 2d17h30min he’s done 936km.

Funny anecdote: Before he left I spoke briefly to him and asked about trail conditions up north, esp night time temperatures. He said, ja, it can get quite nippy, but 3 days later you’re 900km’s away and the weather changes. Netso..

Lets try and get some hub support going.

looks like the leader is about 300 miles ahead of AH :eek:

Bill Peschka is the leader on the map but he is not on the list of riders?

surely this can't be right. Am I reading it wrong?

The guy in front of Alex, Jay Petervary is a Tour Divide legend.

Good luck top Alex he is with some legendary Tour Divide riders!

Had to look hard at this but spotted a tiny leaderboard in the middle of the page.

Current positions: Neil Beltchenko: 608.88 mi; Alex Harris: 598.53 mi; Jay Petervary: 596.56 mi; Seb Dunne: 585.25 mi; Dylan Taylor: 559.20 mi; (0 minutes ago) -- at 02:21:20 AM (MDT) 06/15/15

Ja, the map can be lank confusing. I rather check progress on the leaderboard, and sort it by route mile..

ok, then it looks like he is about 13 miles behind leader. 600 miles in 2 days and 18 hours :eek: :eek: :eek:

Above the map there are a couple of tabs, Main Map, Leader Board, Race Flow.. etc.

Select Leader Board there, then sort and filter as required.

I see the positions of the other top guys have not updated in quite a while, as per the "last update" column - over 4h for the Seb character. So guessing Alex is still in 4th ish, 3h behind the race leader as per their Lincoln splits.

Go Alex!! 

4 Days, 20 Hours in and the leaders are closing in on the 1000 mile mark.

Alex still in a solid 3rd, slowing eating way at the relatively small gap. Seems the 2 guys in front split up after riding together for a while. As it stand the record is under a lot of pressure, with a bunch of guys in front of record pace.

still trucking on! about 20miles behind but these guys have been leapfrogging with different strategies.

Bunch of bloody nutters... much respect  :thumbup: 
Riding these things is one thing, racing them... well, let's just say a straight jacket would be an apt winners jersey  :devil:

Alex lying 3rd - only 25 miles behind the leader and 15 miles behind second place. He has covered 1,158 MILES (1,850 km) in a few minutes short of 6 days!!!!

it really is lunatic fringe week. currently we have these guys crossing the US north to south along the divide range. there's another bunch taking their road bikes from the east coast to the west. and then our guys on their one way trip from maritzburg to paarl.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ALEX!

petervary might be a former champion, might be the record holder. but has he climbed everest?!

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Kato won - apparently he rode past the leaders while they slept - unknowingly.

Alex is a day or so behind.

Josh Kato won - apparently he rode past the leaders while they slept - unknowingly.

Alex is a day or so behind.

i think they rode together a lot the last day. At least it looks that way on the tracker replay.