Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Rate button is important.

Oh look another buyer is offering more, sorry for you, but I am greedy and want more money.

I think sellers should communicate with sellers better. I lost a sale because I did not communicate back to a seller in a timeous fashion. Was it suspect, because I was not given breathing room, hell yes. Was it my fault for not  responding when I was supposed to, hell yes. Does the seller deserve a negative rating, no. If you want something so bad, make sure you move fast, not diddle daddle. And if you get pressure to buy or the oke withdraws cause someone else took it at a higher price reneging on your agreement, either rate seller as such, or stop crying.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought and sold stuff here with no troubles.

When selling:

First guy to arrive with the money, gets the deal. Dibs se m**r.

I won't negotiate on price until we're face to face, and you can make a call on the item's condition. I describe my goods very conservatively.

When buying:

When can I come see? If you tell me someone has dibs I lose interest.

If I arrive and someone beat me by a couple of minutes. That's how it goes.

I also don't waste my time coming to see if I think the item is way overpriced.

All this said, I've also bought and sold sight unseen, even paying in advance. There I rely on gut instinct and so far I have been lucky. But I like to think the best of people.

for the record, to show how few people are using it - you have one seller rating, (and it's positive :clap:  :clap: )

People like to bitch for the sake of bitching. Quite frankly, if I am selling something I can sell to whoever I want to. It's my thing. Even if you called dibs, if another person offers me more, I have the right to sell it to that person.

Unethical is someone advertising something as like new but when you get it, it's a piece of ****.

I think unethical is not honoring the first person who called dibs on your price. That is why this thread has started - because of lack of ethics.

I also buy a lot of golf stuff on an American forum and in 10 years of buying, I have had no problems with my dibs's.

I must say though, I have had no problems with my numerous dealings in The Hub  :thumbup:

The problem is this "dibs" thing. It means different things to different people. 

it can be:
- I'm taking it, we just need to confirm time and place for the final inspection

- I'm moderately interested and will ef you around for 2 weeks while other buyers lose interest only to tell you that I'm not taking the stuff, or that I am going to try and shaft you out of 50% of your very reasonable asking price. 

Whenever I have sold items here it has always been on a first come, first served basis. 

I also fall into this whereby seller accepted my offer. He then comes back stating that he received a higher offer and if I can beat or match then item is mine. I will name and shame him if he replies to my PM today.

What does 'Dibs' mean then? I thought it was 'I want it & I'll take it, read your messages' on adverts that don't have a contact number.  

I've had both good deals and disappointments. But I don't let the bad experiences discourage me.

Honoring dibs was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. 

Sold a dropper once. The guy who was first inline was not easy to communicate with.

While waiting on him to get back to me I was offered more money and sellers who could collect immediately. E-mails, whatsapps, pm's and comments forced me to draw up an excel document with time stamps to establish the waiting order. Eventually I gave the guy an ultimatum. Proof of payment or I'm moving on. He responded, paid, apologized and even promised to give a good rating. Which he never did. I didn't really care about that though. I was just pissed because dealing with him was just so unfair to the rest of the guys that wanted it.

I still try and honor the order in which people contact me when I'm selling something. But I have low tolerance for time wasters now. I also make a point of giving people good ratings when dealing with them. I'm guilty of not doing this previously. But not anymore. You don't have to bend over backwards. Just be easy to deal with and you'll get a thumbs up from me. 

Dibs in most cases equals damn that's a good price don't sell it to anyone else ...... till I decide ....

Dibs, "used" to mean and should still mean - I want it, I'll take it, at the price you offer. I dont have time to sort details out now, by this evening we would have had comms and by morning the money should be in your bank, or you should have been emailed proof of payment.

If not, I will get onto my add, and say that the Dibs is cancelled.

Again, another non bike sale I did through the Hub. A bloke gave me a bit of grace because it was over a weekend and waited till the monday to get everything sorted. But in my mind if he decided to pull the plug on the deal over the weekend, tough luck to me. But these are the things that integrity is built on. Or 10 000 thousand posts ;)

Bought and sold stuff here with no troubles.

When selling:

First guy to arrive with the money, gets the deal. Dibs se m**r.

I won't negotiate on price until we're face to face, and you can make a call on the item's condition. I describe my goods very conservatively.

When buying:

When can I come see? If you tell me someone has dibs I lose interest.

If I arrive and someone beat me by a couple of minutes. That's how it goes.

I also don't waste my time coming to see if I think the item is way overpriced.

All this said, I've also bought and sold sight unseen, even paying in advance. There I rely on gut instinct and so far I have been lucky. But I like to think the best of people.

yip PRETTY MUCH CALLED COMMON SENSE :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: 

EITHER YOU HAVE IT OR YOU SHOULD LET MOMMY RATHER BUY THE THINGS YOU WANT

YOUR POST SHOULD BE THE LAST ONE ON THIS TOPIC LIKE X1000000

Dibs in most cases equals damn that's a good price don't sell it to anyone else ...... till I decide ...

Here are comments I consider dibs worth honoring.

1. I'll take it

Here are the comments i don't consider as dibs.

1. Questions about the ad. 

I'll respond to your request but your interest is not considered commitment till you say       you'll take it.

2. Negotiations. I'm always willing to negotiate. But your negotiations are irrelevant till we       have an agreement. Once we reach an agreement you have first dibs.

If you don't honour that agreement. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Same goes for the guys who dibs the shiiit out of everything and say they will take it and then want to negotiate price while you lose a sale to someone at your intended price. It's the seller right to give it to who he wants. But if he is a doooos about it, then rate him badly.

For me when someone says dibs they must make arrangements for meeting etc. Otherwise it is just I am interested but give me time to decide.

My take on it is simple.

As a buyer:

• If i say I'll take it, then it means I'm happy to pay the price you have listed, send me your bank details and I'll pay as soon as possible (typically communicated via PM as well)
  • If i say "Dibs" (Unlikely but who knows) - Means its a bargain and I want my post to show as fast as possible - Typically followed by a PM / phone call if the ad lists your number
  • If i say "PM Sent" - Then I'm asking a question or possibly haggling, generally where the ad states "neg" on the price
  • I'll provide a rating after completing the transaction, please do the same

As a seller

• I will always give the guy that responds first the benefit of the doubt, until they tell me they don't want it or i don't hear from you in a few days
  • It's not ethical in my mind to try get another R100 from someone by being dodgy, I will list the item at a price i'm willing to take for it, finished
  • I don't mind anyone asking if its negotiable - no offence taken, if i feel its going to a good home i might just send it to you for nothing.
  • I don't respond to anything that says "Send me a PM", if you cant initiate the conversation I'll wait for someone that will.
  • I'm not selling something to put bread on the table, it's going either because it deserves a better home or its in my way
  • I'll provide a rating after completing the transaction, please do the same

I use my discretion with the rouxtije rule, i recently sold an item to a guy 500kms away with 1 post (i think) and it turns out that that he is mates with someone I know down there and is a good oke.