Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon if something is sold, the ad should get taken down straight away.

There are already enough things to browse through without having to see things you can't have!

Fair enough - it is the same with estate agents..advertising sold houses never quite get it

Suppose it serves some purpose...showing people fair prices and stuff actually moving etc- I dunno...

I marked my previous item sold as the guy who bought it phoned me and never rated the sale on the hub. We only dealt over the phone. I prefer dealing through the Hub tbh

Also got the "is it really sold" reply afterwards - classic

I mark mine Sold for a day, so that the buy if he wants can find the ad and rate me. After that I delete it irrespective of whether there has been a rating or not.

Another example of NOT COOL trading practices on BikeHub.

So, sometime early am yesterday (28th September), The Professor posts for sale a Vintage pair of Campagnolo Cobalto brake calipers for R1000, no bids, no offers, just buy at R1000. About 5 hours after the ad is placed, I see it and DIBS and send the required Whatsapp.

Around 11 am I’ve not had a reply to my whatsapp. Although it’s been read. I message again and I get a reply --

Hi. There are 3 people interested in them. What would your highest bid be for them?

I decline to bid.

A lengthy whatsapp discussion ensues over the day because:

To my mind, the calipers were advertised at R1k, so whomever was first should get them at R1k.

I don’t think it’s cool to advertise and then ask those interested to ‘bid’.

The long and the short is that The Professor does not agree that this method of doing business sucks!!

Apparently the guy whom was the first to reply to the ad got the calipers. That’s as it should be, but I wonder how much he ‘bid’ to get them in the end????

****I don’t have a copy of the ad, it was removed quite smartly and I don’t know how to access expired ads on the hub. But, perhaps someone can “Vintage Campagnolo Super Record Cobalto brakes” or something similar. The same calipers were advertised on Gumtree for R1000 and I have a screen shot of that ad.

I also have a transcript of the Whatsapp correspondence, for those whom are bored!!!

So, sometime early am yesterday (28th September), The Professor posts for sale a Vintage pair of Campagnolo Cobalto brake calipers for R1000, no bids, no offers, just buy at R1000. About 5 hours after the ad is placed, I see it and DIBS and send the required Whatsapp.

Around 11 am I’ve not had a reply to my whatsapp. Although it’s been read. I message again and I get a reply --

Hi. There are 3 people interested in them. What would your highest bid be for them?

I decline to bid.

To my mind, the calipers were advertised at R1k, so whomever was first should get them at R1k.

The long and the short is that The Professor does not agree that this method of doing business sucks!!

Apparently the guy whom was the first to reply to the ad got the calipers. That’s as it should be, but I wonder how much he ‘bid’ to get them in the end????

****I don’t have a copy of the ad, it was removed quite smartly and I don’t know how to access expired ads on the hub. But, perhaps someone can “Vintage Campagnolo Super Record Cobalto brakes” or something similar. The same calipers were advertised on Gumtree for R1000 and I have a screen shot of that ad.

I also have a transcript of the Whatsapp correspondence, for those whom are bored!!!

Happens often and these are the guys that should be lowballed, and not even negotiate further.

I decline to bid.

Here is the cached version from Google. If it's the same Professor who is in Retreat and an excellent mechanic then that does surprise me as I used to take my bikes to him all the time and he was a straight up guy. 

Bids wars are not something I'll enter into and I'll tell the seller so. It is a sellers prerogative to pull an advert and post it again if he / she wants. It's his item and you can sell it to who you want for how ever much you want but if you advertise it as one price than that is the price unless you're open to a negotiation. 

Maybe the should be a new tag line at the end of an advert 'Price negotiable down or up'

post-132517-0-94699800-1569738400_thumb.png

I am ticked. This is not the first time this has happened but this is 3rd time in almost as many days where I buy something and there is confirmation that I am first after which the seller sells it to the next/another person. I can only assume for a better price. This is to my mind totally unethical. Both on the seller and the new buyer's part. Am I just being upset over nothing? 

The general sales/purchases on the site has been great from my perspective but is certainly going down. I buy a fair amount yes. I buy for my greater extended family that does not have the finances most have. I look for a bargain yes. I see the potential use for the individual in need. Of late though it seems to happen more an more often where a sale is not represented as indicated. I have bought a XT wheelset in "great condition" with a shot rear hub and freewheel. Frame in good nick with shot /seized pivot bearings. Forks with shot stanchions that are "perfect". These have mostly been a met with an attitude of "wtf are you on about? You bought it. Your problem... " And of late a host of purchases that "sorry another guy took it" after I confirmed I am taking it..

I have never given anyone a bad seller rating. Taking it on the chin. I am however going to start now. And I urge all to do the same. Maybe it will resolve the general slide and decline of moral values in the classifieds. Rant over.

I am ticked. This is not the first time this has happened but this is 3rd time in almost as many days where I buy something and there is confirmation that I am first after which the seller sells it to the next/another person. I can only assume for a better price. This is to my mind totally unethical. Both on the seller and the new buyer's part. Am I just being upset over nothing? 

The general sales/purchases on the site has been great from my perspective but is certainly going down. I buy a fair amount yes. I buy for my greater extended family that does not have the finances most have. I look for a bargain yes. I see the potential use for the individual in need. Of late though it seems to happen more an more often where a sale is not represented as indicated. I have bought a XT wheelset in "great condition" with a shot rear hub and freewheel. Frame in good nick with shot /seized pivot bearings. Forks with shot stanchions that are "perfect". These have mostly been a met with an attitude of "wtf are you on about? You bought it. Your problem... " And of late a host of purchases that "sorry another guy took it" after I confirmed I am taking it..

I have never given anyone a bad seller rating. Taking it on the chin. I am however going to start now. And I urge all to do the same. Maybe it will resolve the general slide and decline of moral values in the classifieds. Rant over.

Have to agree with you!!!! What is steadily creeping into the equation is not only the unethical seller but the unethical buyer!

So the seller advertises and you dibs and think you have the item.....however what transpires is that an unethical buyer finds out if the item has yet been shipped and THEN offers the seller more!

Now, it is the sellers prerogative to sell the item to whom he chooses however the original buyer is left somewhat furious about the item he purchased in good faith and at the asking price at the time from the seller.

This seller should be down rated regarding this misdemeanour so that prospective buyers know what to expect when dealing with him..........so, it is incredibly inportant to rate all transactions to protect and uphold ethical behaviour on the Hub.

This is the only way one can stamp out this type of seller!

• 4 months later...

Have to agree with you!!!! What is steadily creeping into the equation is not only the unethical seller but the unethical buyer!

So the seller advertises and you dibs and think you have the item.....however what transpires is that an unethical buyer finds out if the item has yet been shipped and THEN offers the seller more!

Now, it is the sellers prerogative to sell the item to whom he chooses however the original buyer is left somewhat furious about the item he purchased in good faith and at the asking price at the time from the seller.

This seller should be down rated regarding this misdemeanour so that prospective buyers know what to expect when dealing with him..........so, it is incredibly inportant to rate all transactions to protect and uphold ethical behaviour on the Hub.

This is the only way one can stamp out this type of seller!

Have to agree.

I have made some errors in me trying to sell stuff. Mostly in that people make contact and I do not get back to them. Or tell them I will send pics and just do not get round to it.

So the few negative ratings I have I fully deserve !!

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/394256/merida-big-nine-xt-edition

Just one out OF many with incorrect info , seller is not accountable , buyer expects to get A fox fork and doesn't 

quick comment might have sorted it 

lot's of XT kit noted that is certainly not on the bike .. things like seat, and cockpit is a joke, but calling an XT wheelset while it is a Merida branded rim on who knows what hub is not lekker