Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

I think you got lucky on losing out. I would love to have comments on the ad to discuss a few points:

Have a look at the wheels - the older generation Rovals (not as wide and deep as those on the Expert). Also, brakes appear to be Deore which is not standard fit (not going to discuss if this is better than TLs).

Possibly some part exchanges by the original seller, justifying the R35k price. And the dealer marking up to a market price for a standard Expert. Problem is Specialized as slashed prices, making the dealers price not very attractive.

And 2017 model - no warranty remains, the free brain services gone, so these are costs you would need to carry. Also, consider wear on components. You might have been better off buying new at a small premium.

I will happily delete my comments if I am wrong. And I am not blaming the dealer for scrupulous dealings. These are just items that have stood out when I looked at the bike, and would want answered before buying.

Interesting....

They offered me R6000 for a carbon mtb (in pristine condition with a number of upgrades) that was worth a minimum of R17000. Apparently it would have been worth much more if it had had the original spec...... go figure!

I eventually sold to a hubber for R15 500!

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a Garmin for the agreed price of R1500 from a hubber (lets call him Ryan) and paid a R500 deposit and cash balance on collection.

We could not meet due to lockdown and agreed to meet at a later stage.

When I was able to go collect he was then “out of town” and there was nobody that could meet me.

I waited till the day he said he'll be back and requested a time to meet, but alas his trip got extended another day.

I then purchased another Garmin and requested a refund.

He then said his wife is home and I could collect from her the following day.

But I told him that it’s not necessary for me any longer and he could sell it to the many people that he turned down because I paid a deposit.

So I suggested he sell it and refund me R450, R50 as an admin fee.

He gave some blabber about he’ll only sell it for the price he accepted from me and it’s not his job to resell it.

This is where it gets interesting.

I advertise it and get a buyer. He then tell me he sold it for R1300 and will only transfer the R300.

But the buyer I had was someone that he agreed to sell the same Garmin to for R1800.

That sale did not materialize because he ghosted the buyer and then the buyer contacted me as my ad was still up.

So Ryan wants to make R200 off my deposit plus the R500 more than what he agreed to sell to me for.

I requested that he refund me R450 or i'll bring the R1000 cash and expect the Garmin.

No he is getting defensive and not responding.

I have tried to reason and have attached my WhatsApp chat history with him to the email to Support/Admin.

He has ads in the sale section currently, and has no ratings currently.

What should i do?

Take it on the chin or name and shame him. 

He has a business with his namesake. 

Where does the bike hub community stand on this issue. This bike was advertised not long ago for R35k. I was sad I missed out when contacting seller. Now being resold for R50k. Is it just my bad luck or is this not right? https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/405564/specialized-epic-expert-xl-bm4187

I think you got lucky on losing out. I would love to have comments on the ad to discuss a few points:

Have a look at the wheels - the older generation Rovals (not as wide and deep as those on the Expert). Also, brakes appear to be Deore which is not standard fit (not going to discuss if this is better than TLs).

Possibly some part exchanges by the original seller, justifying the R35k price. And the dealer marking up to a market price for a standard Expert. Problem is Specialized as slashed prices, making the dealers price not very attractive.

And 2017 model - no warranty remains, the free brain services gone, so these are costs you would need to carry. Also, consider wear on components. You might have been better off buying new at a small premium.

I will happily delete my comments if I am wrong. And I am not blaming the dealer for scrupulous dealings. These are just items that have stood out when I looked at the bike, and would want answered before buying. 

A brand new one, with factory air in the tyres, and the option of choosing your colour of red or black, with all the warranty factors included will set you back the princely sum of R60K ... that is new tech, etc over the 2017 model.

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/epic-expert-carbon/p/171232?color=264106-171232.

post-5403-0-97184800-1590485484_thumb.jpg

I purchased a Garmin for the agreed price of R1500 from a hubber (lets call him Ryan) and paid a R500 deposit and cash balance on collection.

When I was able to go collect he was then “out of town” and there was nobody that could meet me.

I waited till the day he said he'll be back and requested a time to meet, but alas his trip got extended another day.

But I told him that it’s not necessary for me any longer and he could sell it to the many people that he turned down because I paid a deposit.

He gave some blabber about he’ll only sell it for the price he accepted from me and it’s not his job to resell it.

I advertise it and get a buyer. He then tell me he sold it for R1300 and will only transfer the R300.

But the buyer I had was someone that he agreed to sell the same Garmin to for R1800.

That sale did not materialize because he ghosted the buyer and then the buyer contacted me as my ad was still up.

So Ryan wants to make R200 off my deposit plus the R500 more than what he agreed to sell to me for.

I requested that he refund me R450 or i'll bring the R1000 cash and expect the Garmin.

I have tried to reason and have attached my WhatsApp chat history with him to the email to Support/Admin.

What should i do?

You should have first laid out and negotiated the new terms to the sale before you bought a new Garmin.

Life happens, and he could most likely have extended his out of town trip. With COVID nothing has been clear cut RE timing and program RE free movement.

He could have turned around and told you he would be keeping the R500 deposit as this was your way of securing the unit over lock down, and therefore not allowing him to sell to another over this time frame.

I do not think it fair you now want to offer him R50 "Admin Fee", a fee you are wanting to stipulate after you changed on an agreement.

If he wants to sell the unit to another for more than he sold it to you, then that is his decision to make. 

You on the other hand placed and advert for an item that you did not yet posses ..... this is not really kosher in my opinion.

At this point in time, based on what you have said above, I am rooting for "Ryan"

So it's ok for him to lie to me and say he sold it for R1300? so he could refund me less?

I know for a fact that he could get R1800 for it. but he decided to ghost the buyer when the buyer was on his way to meet. so why would he sell it for R1300?

I disclosed to the buyer that i did not have it in my possession and supplied the buyer with "Ryans" number. this is how we knew "Ryan" was the same person.

I advertised it because he did not relist, I waited a few days before i put up the ad myself.

So it's ok for him to lie to me and say he sold it for R1300? so he could refund me less?

I know for a fact that he could get R1800 for it. but he decided to ghost the buyer when the buyer was on his way to meet. so why would he sell it for R1300?

I disclosed to the buyer that i did not have it in my possession and supplied the buyer with "Ryans" number. this is how we knew "Ryan" was the same person.

I advertised it because he did not relist, I waited a few days before i put up the ad myself.

I miss read that part.

Was the other buyer 100% committed to R1800?

You did however commit to purchasing the unit from him by paying your deposit ... so why not sell or keep the extra unit you purchased, and then honour your origional agreement?

That is really a pickle you find yourself in.

The right thing for all parties involved is to either :

Conclude the sale on the price that was agreed on when the deposit was made.

What you do with the unit thereafter is up to you. 

Or, if both parties agree to nullify the sale, for him to return you deposit. But this is only applicable if you both agree. (The R50 "admin fee" is a nice gesture)

What he does with the unit thereafter is up to him.

Good luck

PS. Buying a different unit while you still had a deposit hanging in an open transaction was not the most savvy move.

What should i do?

Sounds like Throttle made two very reasonable options available to "Ryan" .....

I miss read that part.

Was the other buyer 100% committed to R1800?

You did however commit to purchasing the unit from him by paying your deposit ... so why not sell or keep the extra unit you purchased, and then honour your origional agreement?

Yes, i am in contact with the guy.

Have sent admin the voice notes and screenshots.

I don't BS.

Clearly he's in it for a quick buck and does not care about the "community" nor his reputation."

Mistakes can be made, but your character dictates how you manage a predicament. 

I bought another unit because i got another deal and was looking to close the deal with "Ryan" amicably. 

I didn't force him to refund, i actually suggested that he sell and refund me once the sale has concluded and even tried to sell it with/for him.

Yes, i am in contact with the guy.

Have sent admin the voice notes and screenshots.

I don't BS.

Clearly he's in it for a quick buck and does not care about the "community" nor his reputation."

Mistakes can be made, but your character dictates how you manage a predicament. 

I bought another unit because i got another deal and was looking to close the deal with "Ryan" amicably. 

I didn't force him to refund, i actually suggested that he sell and refund me once the sale has concluded and even tried to sell it with/for him.

In that case, best of wishes getting this sorted ASAP

I'm currently having an altercation with a hubber i purchased something from.

He still has 3 items available for sale. He shafted me and ghosted a newbie hubber.

A bad rating alone wont help with this, If i could then i would post a comment on each of his existing listing.

I have sent Hub support/admin a mail about my position this morning and await response.

Contact Admin and ask him to forward you the Rouxtjie codicil to the Hub standard T&Cs

I was/am under the impression that the idea behind or spirit of the Buy & Sell was to promote the sport of cycling and that both seller and dealer feel like they had a fair deal.

Yeah, nah.

Its essentially how the used car market operates...buy the car at the lowest price possible (as a dealer) and then clean it up and list it for what the market on average will accept...

Where does the bike hub community stand on this issue. This bike was advertised not long ago for R35k. I was sad I missed out when contacting seller. Now being resold for R50k. Is it just my bad luck or is this not right? https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/405564/specialized-epic-expert-xl-bm4187

• 3 years later...