Flow Ex on Hope vs American Classic Wide Lightning

cpelser

Hi guys.

I want to get some opinions on the Stan's ZTR Flow Ex rims built onto Hope Hubs vs American Classic Wide Lightnings.

I know the AC Wide Lightnings weighs around 1569 including rim tape, which is ridiculously low seeing that they're 29mm wide internally.

I don't know what Hope Pro 2 Evo + ZTR Flows weigh, but it's not really the weight that will get my attention.

How is the AC hub compared to a Hope Hub?

How much maintenance would the two require?

I'm around 107kgs and not at all a contender in any race, but would really like a wheel where the tyre does not roll over the rim and where it can handle my weight.

I want the Toyota Hilux of bikes..

Which wheels would that be?

Please also include any other contenders, the aim is value for money, not the best looking wheel that fails after a couple of rides...

For now (and I'll keep a pro/con list updated)

ZTR Flow + Hope:

Pro -

• More options visibly, due to AMC only being available in brownish on black
  • Hope's hub, which is known for ease of servicing and durability
  • Priced R6499 (if same price as Crest or Arch Ex)
  • No rider weight limit

Con - 

• I presume they will be heavier than Wide Lightning
  • Hand built somewhere which may or may not be stronger than the mass produced Wide Lightnings
  • 25mm internal width
  • 1871g (only an issue if you're a weight weenie)

Unknown - 

• All adapters cheap and could be included
  • Warranty (if any)

American Classic Wide Lightning:

Pro - 

• Tubeless tape installed
  • Tubeless valves installed
  • 1512g per set
  • Internal width of > 29mm!!!

Con - 

• Not available as rim only
  • Only brownish on black rim available which may not match the rest of your bike
  • Only available as a wheelset, thus no other hubs available
  • Difficult to source in SA, particularly at a discount to RRP
  • More flex than Flow, particularly if you're a heavier rider
  • Complaints of slow freehub engagement on older sets
  • Some complaints about the rim being dented easily, however where this happened it did not affect ride quality

Additional items - 

• Adaptability - Qr, 15mm, 20mm, 142 vs 135 unknown
  • 107kg rider weight limit No rider weight limit

I have to put a disclaimer here, this is just things I think I know, not facts, and the purpose of this thread is to get input into ANY wheelset that can match this weight/durability at the most affordable price.

Again, we're looking for the aftermarket wheelset that matches most fatties or intermediate riders that wants bulletproof wheels at the best bang for buck.

If you feel there's other wheelsets I need to include, list them and I'll read up on them a bit...

Edited by Mongrel

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im also interested, I need to buy 29er wheels soon. Im building a light hardtail for events to compliment my dual 26er, my requirement is for a light set for racing. I like the idea behind using a wider rim to improve traction.

From the classifieds, it looks as if AC Race rims dent easily, which will not work for me.

Which tires are you planning on mounting to a 29mm internal rim?

Normal ones. They automatically become more laterally stable and you can run lower pressures which means more grip.

I'd go AC. They've fixed their freehub issues in their latest hubs, and the extra width is seriously worthwhile for big okes like us.

My 2 cents worth :

6 months ago I was asking the exact same question as you. The wide lightnings looked very tempting and I did some research. Reviews back then we're a little scarce . 1 thing that seemed to come up in every review was that the reviewer had managed to dent the top of the rim on stones that flick up. I'm not sure if any one else notice this coming up a lot? The light weight was tempting , but honestly I didn't want to ride on " eggshells" warring about my rims.

So I went with flow ex on hope hubs. They weigh in at +- 2kg for the set. Not the lightest set around. But ..... the wide rim rocks . Run tubeless at low pressure and not once have I had any issues. I can take on any obstical no stress because I'm on strong "proven " wheels. Never worry , no problems, the width is totally noticeable on cornering , no tire roll or burping..

So I'd you wanting the "hilux effect" go with the flow ex. Hands down.

I am 79 to 83 kg. I race the AC and love them. Granted I am a dirt roadie during training and I would describe myself as light on the bike in technical situations. I am not convinced that they would be the rims for you if you want a Hilux solution.

The extra weight of the flow will be greatly noticable, making your bike feel sluggish. Go with the complete wheel from the manufacture as it will carry a warrantee. The flow is a rim hope is a hub

don't even do much thinking. Buy the AC wide lightnings

The American Classic as far i can remember have a weight limit of 98kg. I stand to be corrected but kinda remember reading something about that.

As far as denting the rims go,I have 2 large dents on the rear wheel,it hasn't effected the ride quality at all . I am not even heavy,but having said that i ride in the rocks very often and run my tyres fairly damn soft. So kinda leave myself open to that Sort of thing. And wouldn't say I was the easiest person on a bike.

That aside,they are really awesome wheels and would buy another set. They roll so easily it's ridiculous and with soft tyres they bite like a robbers dog. Have had no issues with the hubs at all and have done a decent amount of kms on them.

They are really decent wheels and if they made them in 26" would of bought another set for my meta.

Ask the nerd how well they roll...and don't know if it's of any importance but they freewheel for ever when you spin them.

The extra weight of the flow will be greatly noticable, making your bike feel sluggish. Go with the complete wheel from the manufacture as it will carry a warrantee. The flow is a rim hope is a hub

AC's are known for denting... 

Hopes are known for outlasting owners... 

*edit

That being said if you are easy on wheels and bikes anything should last... 

Edited by the nerd

Easily the worst basis for advice on the hub today.

Flow rim weight penalty ~ 50g. For a big guy, that's a single good fart.

Edited by El Capitan

Go with the Flow + Hope. I think this is the better wheelset for your riding profile at this stage.