Race Across America (Fight Human Trafficking)

fastlegs

Hi All

We have a South African friend / family member (Justin Too) cycling the Race Across America (RAAM) as a solo cyclist that started on Tuesday raising funds to Fight Human Trafficking (his goal is to finish in 9 days).

He has had some bad luck since Tuesday with bike breaking and his support car breaking down, but they still going strong.  

Please go and like his Facebook page to show your support - it would mean a lot to him (he does have American citizenship but chose to ride under the South African flag)  https://www.facebook.com/A21AcrossAmerica?fref=ts

For those who have never heard of RAAM:

Race Across America (RAAM) is one the most respected and longest running endurance sports events in the world. RAAM is seen as a pinnacle of athletic achievement not only in cycling circles but the greater sporting community as well.

·Route: 3000 miles (4800km) 170,000 feet of climbing

·Crosses 12 states, passes through 88 counties and 350 communities

This Ain’t No Tour

RAAM is a race! But unlike the three great Europeon Grand Tours (Tour de France, Vuelta a Espana and Giro de Italia), RAAM is not a stage race. RAAM is one continual stage, similar to a time trial. Once the clock starts it does not stop until the finish line. RAAM is about 30% longer than the Tour de France. Moreover, racers must complete the distance in roughly half the time allowed for the Tour.

More importantly, RAAM is not limited to professional cyclists. RAAM is open toprofessional and amateur athletes alike. While solo racers must qualify to compete, anyone may organize a team and race.

Racers must traverse 3000 miles across 12 states and climb over 170,000 vertical feet.  Solo racers have a maximum of 12 days to complete the race, with the fastest finishing in just over eight days. Solo racers will ride 250-350 miles a day, balancing speed and the need for sleep.

To see the leaderboard:  http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcrank.php?s_N_category_group=1&s_N_Race_ID=1

Thanks

"RAAM is about 30% longer than the Tour de France. Moreover, racers must complete the distance in roughly half the time allowed for the Tour."

IMPOSSIBLE! Who writes this garbage????

(Americans, that's who!) fixed it!

Good luck to your friend though!

Edited by FrankieKnuckles

Tour de France 21 days (+ 2 rest days) Distance of 3360km

RAAM Max of 12 days Distance of 4827km

Therefore RAAM is 43% longer in half the time so not sure why you calling the statement rubbish?

Tour de France 21 days (+ 2 rest days) Distance of 3360km

RAAM Max of 12 days Distance of 4827km

Therefore RAAM is 43% longer in half the time so not sure why you calling the statement rubbish?

Tour de France 2015 finishing time 89 hours 59 mins -  average speed 40.7kmh.

RAAM 2015 finishing time 200 hours 17 mins - average speed 24.27kmh.

It is 43% longer but in the Tour they don't race until they feel like stopping - there are time limits.

YOU CANNOT COMPARE these two races.

ok ok, so as Shebeen says, RASA over RAAM...and tour divide and the TdF, I love my birthday month !