Tool purchase advice

cadenceblur

Hi guys

Need some advice...

I'm looking to do more of my own bike servicing and therefore need to build up my tool kit. I'm looking at getting quality tools, so probably Park tool?

I currently have the following :

Chain Whip

Chain Breaker

Cassette removal tool

Allen key set (Park Tool)

External BB removal tool

Pedal spanner

Cable cutters

So, I am able to remove and reinstall a crank and cassette, looking at doing more stuff like servicing my own hubs etc.

Road and MTB

Where do I start?

PS I have a Tork bike stand, which is pretty crappy so looking at an alternative there as well..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

Cone spanners. I tried and failed to service my hubs last night due to the lack of these little nasties.

Edit: bleed kit. Quick link removal tool thingi.

Edited by Small Fry

Okay, cone spanners. Are there standard sizes?. I hear you on the bleed kit.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/birzman-hub-tool-9pcs 

depending on what your requirements are you can get them loose, but a set it better if you get a different bike/wheelset later

I'm using quick links at present without any removal issues. What does the tool do?

helps removing the quick link as they are not always easy to remove

Edited by fanievb

Trying to keep cost down by getting the bare essentials for now. That set has a few things that I already have.

I'm using quick links at present without any removal issues. What does the tool do?

The newer (black) 10spd SRAM quicklinks kinda clip together quite tight. near impossible to undo them by hand and difficult with needlenose pliers.

SRAM recommends breaking the chain not by removing the link but by pushing the pins out of a separate section of chain using a chainbreaker and then replacing with a new quicklink....yeah right...they just wanna sell more links.

The quicklink pliers work really well - get a pair that can both open and close the links. Some of the cheaper pliers can only open them......

Edited by JXV