Head ache after a long ride!

peds

Maybe your wife complaining about the long ride...? (can cause severe headache)

LOL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard will set you up perfectly, they do cleats and shoes included and all points of contact. If you want pedal stroke analysis as well then comprehensive

Dehydration... combined with a bright yellow pee after a ride?

Drink water till you produce a nice clear tinkle ;)

I get mine even with proper hydration. Including the pee test:) so it may be something else.

Headache is like a throbing migraine.

the cause of headaches seems to be the sudden drop in blood pressure after rides

This, If you feel the throbbing in your head, chances are henrivdr is on track.

I'm no doctor. So I can't be sure but I can advise you through personal experience.

I use to get horrific migraines after excersize. Still do if I don't watch myself.

The trick is not to over exert myself too quickly. This doesn't mean I don't push myself.

I do. But I kind of warm up to it. I also anticipate getting tired and slow down but keep going rather than push till I feel I'm too tired and then slow down automatically. 

I try and avoid long single slogs all the way up to the tippy top in one long climb and then bomb down like I use to. Instead, I ascend, descend, ascend a little higher then descend again and so on etc. I eventually get to the top and bomb down but generally do a longer ride overall this way with far less strain because I'm not maxing myself out for too long.

Its all about regulating the sudden changes in your blood pressure. Well, at least it was for me. Rest when you feel you should. But sudden rest after an intense ride is a trigger for me. Warm up, but also warm down. If that makes sense.

I use to bank on anti inflammatories when it got me. Not good.

My resting heart rate and BP were normal. See a doctor and have yours checked out

My wife always complains about a headache before the ride!

Seriously though, I used to get headaches and I figured out it was a pressure point on my head from my lid being too tight.

I used to think mine was due to loss of fluids as i tend to sweat a lot but I could drink until water was coming out of my ears and it didn't seem to help. What i eventually figured out was it was a lack of salt. Now I either add some extra salt to my water bottle or otherwise have some extra salty popcorn or something similar after the ride. Since doing this the headaches are gone for me.

Could be shoulder tension referring to neck and head area?

Is your set-up / position okay?

Do you do upper body strength training to improve your stability on the bike?

Do you use electrolytes as part of your refueling?

Snap

I get mine even with proper hydration. Including the pee test:) so it may be something else.

Agree mine doesn't seem to be hydration issue either.

I used to think mine was due to loss of fluids as i tend to sweat a lot but I could drink until water was coming out of my ears and it didn't seem to help. What i eventually figured out was it was a lack of salt. Now I either add some extra salt to my water bottle or otherwise have some extra salty popcorn or something similar after the ride. Since doing this the headaches are gone for me.

How did you figure this out?

How did you figure this out?

By noticing the thick layers of encrusted salt on my cycling shorts and helmet straps once they were dry.

Friend of mine had same issue. Trip to Chiro for her back and he clicked a whack of stuff back and no more headaches

This, If you feel the throbbing in your head, chances are henrivdr is on track.

I'm no doctor. So I can't be sure but I can advise you through personal experience.

I use to get horrific migraines after excersize. Still do if I don't watch myself.

The trick is not to over exert myself too quickly. This doesn't mean I don't push myself.

I do. But I kind of warm up to it. I also anticipate getting tired and slow down but keep going rather than push till I feel I'm too tired and then slow down automatically.

I try and avoid long single slogs all the way up to the tippy top in one long climb and then bomb down like I use to. Instead, I ascend, descend, ascend a little higher then descend again and so on etc. I eventually get to the top and bomb down but generally do a longer ride overall this way with far less strain because I'm not maxing myself out for too long.

Its all about regulating the sudden changes in your blood pressure. Well, at least it was for me. Rest when you feel you should. But sudden rest after an intense ride is a trigger for me. Warm up, but also warm down. If that makes sense.

I use to bank on anti inflammatories when it got me. Not good.

My resting heart rate and BP were normal. See a doctor and have yours checked out

Thanks for the advice it does make sense and guess I need to put it to practice to see if it works for me too.

The problem I have with going to the doctor is when I get there I have no symptoms and after all tests he says thanks for your money you extremely healthy cheers. Can't go after a ride because I generally ride on a Sunday or late afternoon.

Maybe i should borrow one of those machines you can check your blood pressure and measure after I ride. Will probably give me some info that I can work with.

By noticing the thick layers of encrusted salt on my cycling shorts and helmet straps once they were dry.

Thanks, I don't get this so perhaps salt is not an issue for me.

I get exertion migraines , tried all the expensive wafers etc all had no effect. GP suggested I try diclo-flam (50mg dispersible) 30 minutes before exercise and that sorts me out. If I forget to take it nothing helps after the exercise and I am man down for 4 hours. It's over the counter so no script needed.

It would seem that headaches are sneaky buggers and everyone gets them for a different reason. The trick is finding out what it is that sets off your ones.