Oval chainrings

Christo

I still have 3x on my bike but i want to "test" a oval ring so i want to get a 32T oval, will i be able to put it in the middle without changing anything else on my setup?

Yes no problem . Clearance of FD will be determined by the ROUND big ring. Also shift ramps are not a necessity. They just make shifting crisper and quicker. Derailleurs shifted chains for decades before shift ramps came along.

I'm not sure of you can buy the rotor triple chain rings separately. When I used them they came as a set. These have shift ramps anyway. I think Myles was just trying to tell you not to get a ring intended for 1x or 2x use.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so all this oval talk has made me order one :thumbup:

Some day soon I'll give some "snake oil" or "I'm like totally a  Quinata on the climbs now" feedback.

I am quite interested so see if the "more traction" claims are true - climbing really steep rocky stuff has traditionally been a weakness of mine.

I thought Gambit's only weakness was a good hand of poker? Isn't that why he's always throwing his cards at people? :)

Yes no problem . Clearance of FD will be determined by the ROUND big ring. Also shift ramps are not a necessity. They just make shifting crisper and quicker. Derailleurs shifted chains for decades before shift ramps came along.

I'm not sure of you can buy the rotor triple chain rings separately. When I used them they came as a set. These have shift ramps anyway. I think Myles was just trying to tell you not to get a ring intended for 1x or 2x use.

yes

No, it's not. I was attributing woo to the concept of elliptical chainrings. IE if it WAS just "woo" (like homeopathy) I think ellipticallicity would fit quite well as a descriptor of the cult.  

It should be a word, though. 

I think the actual word you are looking for is ellipticity.

I think the actual word you are looking for is ellipticity.

see, that doesn't address the potential woo-factor, and as such would do the word a disservice. Kinda like saying anti-vaxers rely on "science" to support their claims. They fecking don't. 

So while you are right, it wouldn't be right to use it if there turns out to be no benefit of oval. But I think there is. Need to test against a 34t round to be sure though. 

I have personally had no shifting issues with my oval chain ring but then again Shimano XT (10 speed front der) der's have a ton of clearance. I am still running the crank that came with my 2 x 10 setup and the same trigger shifter.

I thought Gambit's only weakness was a good hand of poker? Isn't that why he's always throwing his cards at people? :)

Too true..

I'm more of a pavlov's dog kinda guy :clap:

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so all this oval talk has made me order one :thumbup:

Some day soon I'll give some "snake oil" or "I'm like totally a  Quinata on the climbs now" feedback.

I am quite interested so see if the "more traction" claims are true - climbing really steep rocky stuff has traditionally been a weakness of mine.

Hey Eldron, did you get/ride it yet? Am interested in your more informed feedback than my 'feel' report ....

Must say I am still convinced that it works (more so on the climbs of any kind than on the flats) after riding it now in between riding my other bike which has a round NW.

I have been riding one for 4 weeks now and I must say i feel the difference every time I climb ..much more smooth pedal strokes 

On the flats I feel no difference

• 5 months later...

I have 24 and 32 round chainrings. Problem is I am spinning out. What will be a better option to change to up front? 34 round, 32 oval or 34 oval?

I have 24 and 32 round chainrings. Problem is I am spinning out. What will be a better option to change to up front? 34 round, 32 oval or 34 oval?

32 oval will make no difference, you will still spin out. You need to go bigger.

34 oval

When you have an oval chainring on, are you still supposed to try pedal in a circular motion as with round chain rings, or do you just apply force on the downstroke?

I have been riding one for 4 weeks now and I must say i feel the difference every time I climb ..much more smooth pedal strokes

On the flats I feel no difference

I have to wonder why you feel it working on the hills but not the flats, surely the oval rings don't know the difference between a climb and a flat road?

Or have they got a clever widgetacceleromter thingy embedded in them that allows them to morph into a hill eating shape as soon as the gradient becomes +

Nah I thought not

Stand easy

Edited by SwissVan

When you have an oval chainring on, are you still supposed to try pedal in a circular motion as with round chain rings, or do you just apply force on the downstroke?

You just pedal. Let your legs do the work. "Spinning in circles" is largely a myth in MTB