Tubby vs. Clincher

Dr. Seuss

What is the general sentiment here?

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I know that the tubby wheels are lighter than the clinchers,  but is the weight saving worth the hassle?

Are tubulars a hassle at all?

How about puncture resistance?  I am sure that the heavy ones do have puncture protection in them,  but it will defeat the point of buying light rims & then loading them with some heavy tires.

What about repairs?  Do you just throw the tubby away once the broken zamalek has taken it?s toll? (I am talking about road use here)

And the safety aspect for those of us who do not have a pro mechanic in the kitchen cupboard to glue these things on?

What is the general sentiment here?

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I know that the tubby wheels are lighter than the clinchers' date='  but is the weight saving worth the hassle?

Are tubulars a hassle at all?

How about puncture resistance?  I am sure that the heavy ones do have puncture protection in them,  but it will defeat the point of buying light rims & then loading them with some heavy tires.

What about repairs?  Do you just throw the tubby away once the broken zamalek has taken it?s toll? (I am talking about road use here)

And the safety aspect for those of us who do not have a pro mechanic in the kitchen cupboard to glue these things on?

[/quote']

Tough call - and many viewpoints..

Mine (I race on tubs)

Weight saving on wheels - great

Puncture resistance - about the same

Safety- learn to glue and take care and you will be fine

Cost  - high

Repair - no

Ride quality - fantastic

Rolling resistance - about the same

There is a new product by Vittoria that re-inflates and repairs a punctured tub in seconds - permanently (great product)

Overall - I love them and am willing to undertake the hassle factor for my special race wheels.

Talking about rolling resistance, apparently the Zipp guys have got tons of test data.  Vittoria Evox (I think) requires a massive 4 watts less that Continental Competitions.

Doesn't sound like much - but 4 watts when you are on your limit is significant.

Coupled with ceramic bearings (another 3-4 watts) and the differences become substantial.

I ride Zipp 404 tubbys.

Agree with Bikemax on all the points except possible rolling resistance because tubbies can be inflated to much higher pressures (14 bar).  But then you got to really watch out for punctures - I normally race on about 12 bar.

I ride Zipp 404 tubbys.

Agree with Bikemax on all the points except possible rolling resistance because tubbies can be inflated to much higher pressures (14 bar).  But then you got to really watch out for punctures - I normally race on about 12 bar.

At higher pressure the puncture resistance is greater but the handling sucks..

I run my tubs at 100-110psi and they handle great. No pinch flats with tubs is the advantage so you can run them lower and corner harder LOL

Hmmn, the guys at one of the LBS's near me swear that you get more punctures if you inflate very high, not pinch flats, but punctures from glass etc.

Fortunately I have not experienced too many punctures so I can't confirm that from my own experience.

Bruce ,where did you get that info on the Vittoria's ?I went to there website and they have a whole range of evo tubbies , I ride on cont comp at the moment but if the difference is that big with vittoria's then I would like to try them.Just want to make sure I buy the right one's!

Bike max where do you get the vittoria sealant stuff

It's called " Pit Stop" and at present I have had to order from the UK - Parker International but my LBS seem to have something similar.

It is really impressive and has worked very well for me.

Talking about rolling resistance' date=' apparently the Zipp guys have got tons of test data.  Vittoria Evox (I think) requires a massive 4 watts less that Continental Competitions.

Doesn't sound like much - but 4 watts when you are on your limit is significant.

Coupled with ceramic bearings (another 3-4 watts) and the differences become substantial.
[/quote']

And for those of you on tubs

Tubular
Tire Model
Crr at 8.5 or 7 bar *
(~123 or ~101 psi)
Crr at 7.5 or 6 bar *
(~108 or ~87 psi)
Rolling Performance
at 8.5 or 7 bar *
Rolling Performance
at 7.5 or 6 bar *
Listed Width
Actual Width
Height
Weight
Carcass
Inner Tube
Max. Pressure
Puncture
Resistance
Roundness

Veloflex
Carbon
34.05 Watt
34.74 Watt
22 mm
21.9 mm
20.8 mm
268 g
Cotton
Polyester
Latex
8-9 bar
116-131 psi
Low
Very Good
Gommitalia
Route du Nord *
34.74 Watt
36.83 Watt
24 mm *
23.7 mm
22.2 mm
285 g
Cotton
Polyester
Latex
7-8 bar
101-116 psi
Low
Okay
Gommitalia
Platinum
36.83 Watt
38.91 Watt
21.5 mm
21.5 mm
20.7 mm
266 g
Cotton
Polyester
Latex
8-9 bar
116-131 psi
Okay
Okay
Vittoria
Corsa Evo CX
37.52 Watt
38.22 Watt
21 mm
21.1 mm
19.6 mm
271 g
Cotton
Polyester
Latex
8-14 bar
116-203 psi
Okay
Okay
Vittoria
Corsa Evo KS
39.61 Watt
41.00 Watt
21 mm
21.2 mm
20.0 mm
274 g
Cotton
Polyester
Latex
8-14 bar
116-203 psi
Low
Okay
Continental
Competition
41.00 Watt
42.39 Watt
22 mm
21.8 mm
20.8 mm
265 g
Polyamide
Butyl
12 bar
174 psi
Very Good
Good
Veloflex
Roubaix *
41.00 Watt
42.39 Watt
24 mm *
23.9 mm
21.9 mm
283 g
Cotton
Polyester
Latex
6-7 bar
87-101 psi
Low
Very Good
Continental
Podium
41.69 Watt
43.08 Watt
19 mm
19.5 mm
18.5 mm
228 g
PolyamideButyl12 bar
174 psi
Very GoodGood
Schwalbe
Stelvio Tubular
47.95 Watt
50.03 Watt
22 mm
21.7 mm
20.3 mm
234 g
Polyamide
Butyl fused
to carcass
14 bar
203 psi
Low
Very Good
Tufo
Elite Jet
50.73 Watt
52.81 Watt
20 mm
20.3 mm
19.2 mm
162 g
Polyamide
Butyl fused
to carcass
10-15 bar
145-218 psi
Okay
Very Good
Schwalbe
Montello 300
52.12 Watt
57.67 Watt
22 mm
21.7 mm
20.5 mm
305 g
Cotton
Polyester
Butyl
7 bar
101 psi
Low
Okay
Tufo
Hi-Comp Carbon
53.51 Watt
55.59 Watt
22 mm
23 mm
21.1 mm

248 g
Polyamide
Butyl fused
to carcass
8-12 bar
116-174 psi
Low
Very Good

mmmm - cherry's AM Classics are looking more & more attractive

Those are very nice wheels - Zipp 303 rims if I recall correctly, but on AC hubs.

I have ridden Vittoria Corsa CX's for over 20 years, first exclusively and more recently only for racing. These are probably the most commonly used tub in the peleton with most riders just scrubbing the name off the sidewall in order not to upset the team sponsors.

A friend has offered me a well matured set of Conti Podiums and looking at BikeMax's table I think I may take him up on the offer. They seem to compare favourably to the CX's

Bruce ' date='where did you get that info on the Vittoria's ?I went to there website and they have a whole range of evo tubbies , I ride on cont comp at the moment but if the difference is that big with vittoria's then I would like to try them.Just want to make sure I buy the right one's![/quote']

I race with Marco Swart - Cycletech - who is the Zipp agent in SA.  Contact him on (011) 466 9974.

Talking about rolling resistance' date=' apparently the Zipp guys have got tons of test data.  Vittoria Evox (I think) requires a massive 4 watts less that Continental Competitions.

[/quote']

Looking at Bikemax's table, where do I order a set of Veloflex carbon's? LOL