vets league becoming a joke

butafly

two events=two cockups.

the first event there were a number of disqualifications due to some riders not wearing two jersey numbers and this included the winner.

second event started early - by a minute or so -  which caused some riders to start after the main body of riders. the yellow jersey holder, who by the way won it by default at Worcester, started late. now i hear that the Redhill vets race has been declared a 'no race' because of the early start. comments from PPA and Falcon most welcome.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure about vets..but the elite league has been run very well over the first two races - full results by tuesday..

We have been trying to sort out the Red Hill mess - as it stands it has been decalred a "no points " race due to the early start causing a few riders to start late.

Guy Pike has won both races fair and sqaure;

In the first he was denied his points due to the enforcement of the UCI rule re numbers (that had never been applied before)

In the second he was denied his points due to the NON enforcement of the UCI rule re being present at the start 15 mins before the advertised start (that had never been applied before)

The reason being given is that the number rule was in the league guidelines booklet but the start time requirements were not....

I have no problem with the fair and consistent application of the UCI rules under which we race but I do have a problem with the seemingly arbitrary enforcment of these rules. Because the race comm feels that it was unfair to start the race early and because the riders did not know they had to be there in good time - every one loses out (except the late comers of course)

In the absence of a rule in the booklet that Francois provides then they must rely on the UCI rule and refer to that - the UCI rule is clear - you must be there at least 15 mins before the advertised start.

We are pretty pissed off with the situation and would really like a clear set of rules to race by - not to be at the mercy of what interpretation the race comm feels like applying on the day.

i agree with you 100% , by my estimation there were only 4 or 5 late starters in the vets league, one being the yellow jersey. my biggest problem is that we have a race manual that is more concern about transponders, timing mats and the administration of the cyclists. UCI Race rules should be applied en bloc and riders should be familiar with them. they are freely available on internet site etc and maybe ppa and falcon should have them printed and posted at the registration tables. by the way its almost impossible to implement all race rules when there are so many riders riding in own events (fun riders) without race refs. the ppa have created a monster and the prima donnas are squealing like little girls   

I agree that it is a tough situation and I feel for Francois as he has the best interests of the riders at heart I believe. Hoever, if you run the races and administer the leages, and choose to take a very firm stance on the rules at the first race of the season - then I believe you have made your bed and now must lie in it. This means;

1. Making sure the rules are clear

2. Enforcing them consistently

This is the responsibility of the race administration.

We will be appealing the decision formally.

If I was Guy Pike I would think there is a conspiracy against me!!

He is just very disheartened - losing yellow and then working your ass off at Red Hill to win again - then to lose those points too becuase somebody did not get there in time..

Guy Pike knows he's the fittest vet at the moment, and the rest should know it. Brian-yellow jersey- should h've been there 10 min before start. Keep the results. Woester, tuffies.

I'll be back in summer, if I start training...

yeah, poor fellow, BUT, I made a point of reading that little booklet to make sure I know what's going on( and then asked the Falcon dude about the numbers on my bike just like they said in the booklet just to be on the safe side), I think all League riders should do the same, it's your responsibility to know what the rules are imo.

I mean come on, first he did not have both numbers on cuz he did not read the damn booklet, I can forgive that but after that I thought it would be a big wake up call to read the thing just in case he missed something else, but nooooo....LOL
Marius2006-09-22 04:00:35

yeah' date=' poor fellow, BUT, I made a point of reading that little booklet to make sure I know what's going on( and then asked the Falcon dude about the numbers on my bike just like they said in the booklet just to be on the safe side), I think all League riders should do the same, it's your responsibility to know what the rules are imo.

I mean come on, first he did not have both numbers on cuz he did not read the damn booklet, I can forgive that but after that I thought it would be a big wake up call to read the thing just in case he missed something else, but nooooo....LOL
[/quote']

You might want to go back and read the posts....

He lost his points at RH because a few guys missed the start and complained. Nothing in the booklet covered that.

Having seen you when you feel you have been wornged (Tokai MTB) I am sure you would be making a hell of a lot more fuss than he is right now..

oH, well then I take it back. But I did make a big noise at Tokia and guess what, NOTHING HAPPEND, so it's not going to help him either.

Just a correction guys: The Officials enforces the rules not the organisers.

Not in question - the problem is that the official chose NOT to enforce the rule this week but did enforce the rule last week..

So if UCI say you must be @ the start 15mins before, does that give them the right to start when the hell they like?

serious Q?