Wahoo Fitness Introduces KICKR SNAP Smart Cycling Trainer

HdB

Wahoo is releasing a new trainer, wheel-on design:

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/kickr-snap-bike-trainer.html

Only slightly less accurate than the normal Kickr (according to them, of course), and 1100W instead of 1550W.

A bit less expensive than the normal Kickr, not massively so though, so it will be interesting to see how reviews rate it versus the CycleOps ones...

Wonder if the other manufacturers will also release new ones leading up to the trade shows

[Edit: Corrected the product name]

[Edit again] DCRainmaker hands-on: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/wahoo-kickr-snap.html

Edited by HdB

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that CycleOps has a cat in their bag that will come out fighting at Eurobike...and as for pricing falling - I doubt it that they will fall drastically if at all 

Also I see that in US$ this Wahoo Snap is only $50 cheaper than the CycleOps PowerSync trainer and has the same features and functionality - ground breaking? meh...not so much...

Wahoo Fitness, the leader in workout apps and smartphone connected fitness devices, is pleased to announce the KICKR SNAP, a connected cycling trainer that is easy to use. SNAP connects seamlessly with smartphones, tablets and computers, giving the user full control over pedalling resistance and provides a reliable power measurement so users can monitor and adjust intensity.

Click here to view the article

Oh look, R13k according to the news article...

OR one could just add a little bit more and get the normal Kickr.

Eurobike show is end of August, Interbike mid-September.

Going to be good, should be a few more announcements on the hardware and software fronts - hopefully after that I will know which smart trainer I want, and more importantly, can afford it.

We've been playing with the new KICKR Snap at the offices the past month and it feels amazing. 

What we liked what the minimalism, the ease of set up, it is very quite and most of all I think the magnetic flywheel sell it. It feels realistic.

I'm not a road cyclist at all, but Jason in our offices seems to like it a lot. 

The estimated pricing is set at R12,999 

If anyone is in the Pretoria and would like to have a look at it, let us know. We only have one unit in the country at the moment. ETA on the fist shipment is September/October. 

We've been playing with the new KICKR Snap at the offices the past month and it feels amazing. 

What we liked what the minimalism, the ease of set up, it is very quite and most of all I think the magnetic flywheel sell it. It feels realistic.

If anyone is in the Pretoria and would like to have a look at it, let us know. We only have one unit in the country at the moment. ETA on the fist shipment is September/October. 

Can you clarify what that price will include Christian? i.e. HR strap, speed cadence sensor etc?

Can you clarify what that price will include Christian? i.e. HR strap, speed cadence sensor etc?

Hey Skinnyone, 

The price will only include the trainer. TICKR and Blue Speed and Cadence sensors are sold separately. We also have training matts as an optional extra. 

Maybe I'm missing something here but the thing I love about the kickr is that you don't burn your road wheels and can get accurate power readings when you stand up - why would you want this over a normal kickr? (Excuse the ignorance here...)

Dcrainmaker:

"Now before we get started – Wahoo doesn’t see the KICKR SNAP as a replacement for the KICKR. Instead, they see it as simply adding a lower cost option in their trainer lineup, one that’s about $350 cheaper than the existing Wahoo KICKR."

Surely this is meant to compete with similar tacx/cycleops units at lets say R10/11k ($850 according to DC)?

• 4 months later...

Wahoo is releasing a new trainer, wheel-on design:

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/kickr-snap-bike-trainer.html

Only slightly less accurate than the normal Kickr (according to them, of course), and 1100W instead of 1550W.

A bit less expensive than the normal Kickr, not massively so though, so it will be interesting to see how reviews rate it versus the CycleOps ones...

Wonder if the other manufacturers will also release new ones leading up to the trade shows

[Edit: Corrected the product name]

[Edit again] DCRainmaker hands-on: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/wahoo-kickr-snap.html

lets hope more come to the market around eurobike and prices continue to fall...

I believe that CycleOps has a cat in their bag that will come out fighting at Eurobike...and as for pricing falling - I doubt it that they will fall drastically if at all 

Also I see that in US$ this Wahoo Snap is only $50 cheaper than the CycleOps PowerSync trainer and has the same features and functionality - ground breaking? meh...not so much...

Oh look, R13k according to the news article...

OR one could just add a little bit more and get the normal Kickr.

Eurobike show is end of August, Interbike mid-September.

Going to be good, should be a few more announcements on the hardware and software fronts - hopefully after that I will know which smart trainer I want, and more importantly, can afford it.

Dcrainmaker:

"Now before we get started – Wahoo doesn’t see the KICKR SNAP as a replacement for the KICKR. Instead, they see it as simply adding a lower cost option in their trainer lineup, one that’s about $350 cheaper than the existing Wahoo KICKR."

Surely this is meant to compete with similar tacx/cycleops units at lets say R10/11k ($850 according to DC)?

The KICKR Snap pricing is confirmed for South Africa, R11,999

I think it is a competitive price compared to the other trainers in the market. What are your thoughts?

The KICKR Snap pricing is confirmed for South Africa, R11,999

I think it is a competitive price compared to the other trainers in the market. What are your thoughts?

About the same as the Tacx Bushido Smart. Tough choice between it and the Snap, given the price - each has its merits. For now my Vortex Smart will have to do, but the choices for the eventual upgrade just got more interesting :)

About the same as the Tacx Bushido Smart. Tough choice between it and the Snap, given the price - each has its merits. For now my Vortex Smart will have to do, but the choices for the eventual upgrade just got more interesting :)

Awesome  :)

The price on the snap is actually R1,000 less than the RRP on the Bushido. Given the seamless software perfection Wahoo achieved with its open API I think you should lean towards the SNAP. The electromagnetic flywheel is also a great bonus on the SNAP. 

Edited by Christian - buycycle.co.za

• 10 months later...

Anyone been using the Kicker Snap and want to provide some feedback?

Its awesomeness personified.

If there is any issue, it is with is the accuracy of the power broadcast measurement, which is supposed to be within 5%, but it is said that it is not. There is much discussion on this on d c rainmaker's review. It does not bother me whether it is accurate, because it is consistent. Ie - you can track your improvement. Or deteriation [emoji35]

The machine is very sturdy, and facilitates great stability even when standing, and it's quiet. It is a breeze to set up, and it has joint ant + and Bluetooth capability. This is a big plus.

I have had my unit since January and have made good use out of it. I have a dedicated bike setup on the SNAP, but there no real need. It works well with an ordinary road tire, and clicking the bike in and out of the unit is a breeze.takes a second or 2.

I previously had a tacx, which i loved. But, the SNAP is easy, seamless, strong, reliable and works with multiple platforms.

Edited by Harryn