Review: Saris Bones 3 bike rack

Nick

The Saris Bones is a boot mounted design which has been around for some time and claims to offer a sturdy tow bar free solution with bike protection in-mind. Although convenient and generally less pricey, boot mounted bicycle racks are notoriously unstable, often rubbing and scratching their precious cargo. We were interested to see just how well Saris' three bike version, the Saris Bones 3, would fair.

Click here to view the article

I own one for a hatchback and - to be honest - I wish i'd rather bought a thule.

"The straps holding the bikes in place are..." useless and infuriating.

It's a MISSION to load a large fullsus 29er...

I wouldn't recommend unless it was very cheap or the only option.

I own one for a hatchback and - to be honest - I wish i'd rather bought a thule.

"The straps holding the bikes in place are..." useless and infuriating.

It's a MISSION to load a large fullsus 29er...

I wouldn't recommend unless it was very cheap or the only option.

I have used mine on my sedan and my wife's hatch never had a problem with the straps or anything else on it for that matter.

What fullsus are you loading? I have no hassles with my anthem, loaded a Volcan on this weekend which was a bit tricky though because of the frame shape.

I have used mine on my sedan and my wife's hatch never had a problem with the straps or anything else on it for that matter.

What fullsus are you loading? I have no hassles with my anthem, loaded a Volcan on this weekend which was a bit tricky though because of the frame shape.

Large Spez Camber + kiddies bike.

Would be impossible to load a 3rd bike, I think.

The straps are simply not long or stretchy enough for carbon frames.

I admit that, once strapped in, the rack is pretty stable and well attached to the vehicle...I just find mine overly frustrating and difficult to load.

Large Spez Camber + kiddies bike.

Would be impossible to load a 3rd bike, I think.

The straps are simply not long or stretchy enough for carbon frames.

I admit that, once strapped in, the rack is pretty stable and well attached to the vehicle...I just find mine overly frustrating and difficult to load.

Have you looked into getting a bike beam? http://www.saris.com/product/bike-beam

• 2 years later...

Just got one.  Works fine.  Yeah you'll need the bike-beam if running some dual suss or aggressive geometry frames I guess.  Took me a few goes a bit o strain on the rear shock to get that question answered.

i have one its awesome

takes a little time to set up for each car but works great once its done

but seriously nonky you need a bike beam for that camber :thumbup: