Specialized expand e-bike range with Turbo Levo trail bike

News bot

Pedal assist high-performance trail bikes open up mountain biking to new riders and reinvigorate existing riders by making the tallest mountains feel more like mole hills. Specialized Bicycle Components expands highly acclaimed Turbo pedal-assist family to include trail bikes.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"To be clear, the Turbo Levo is a trail bike with pedal assist Turbo Technology, not an electric bike or motorcycle with a throttle. Some riders and trail users may not be as excited that you and your Turbo Levo are sharing the trails with them. Please be aware of the rules and laws of your local trails."

I am one of those trail riders who will not be happy seeing bikes with pedal assist on the trails....call it what you like, it is an e-bike seeing as it it propelled with a motor of sorts from a battery cell.

It's almost like a bike, with a motor.  What do you call those again?

Really confused why Spez would spend R&D money on this.  How does this take bike tech forward?

I'm all for innovation, but what is this innovating?  What problem is being solved other than making it easier for people to climb up stuff they struggled with because they were either too lazy or too unskilled to manage before.

It's also not good enough to say, well this allows you to climb up stuff that was unclimable before, because that implies either DH trails being used to climb up on or riding stuff that isn't open as a trail to start with.

It's not about the trail you condescending marketing scumbag.  This is the Mavericks of bikes.  If you are the guy leaving a strip club thinking those girls really, truly like you, this is the bike for you my friend.

The VitalMTB review had the perfect "quote" (pretty sure it was an incentivised statement).  It went something like "Struggling to carry enough speed out of that corner?  Just give it two pedal strokes and you're clearing that double with ease."

So basically:  "Too little talent to otherwise ride that technical trail?  Get a motor for your bike and look like a shredder.  Nobody will notice and you will still know in your heart of hearts that you are special."

Really confused why Spez would spend R&D money on this.  How does this take bike tech forward?

I'm all for innovation, but what is this innovating?  What problem is being solved other than making it easier for people to climb up stuff they struggled with because they were either too lazy or too unskilled to manage before.

It's also not good enough to say, well this allows you to climb up stuff that was unclimable before, because that implies either DH trails being used to climb up on or riding stuff that isn't open as a trail to start with.

It's not about the trail you condescending marketing scumbag.  This is the Mavericks of bikes.  If you are the guy leaving a strip club thinking those girls really, truly like you, this is the bike for you my friend.

There are many usage scenarios that make sense. 

First example would be spending time with your girlfriend / wife / dad enjoying the countryside / trails. You get to pedal hard enough to get the training stimulus while also sharing the time and experience with somebody you wouldn't otherwise be able to. 

There are many usage scenarios that make sense. 

First example would be spending time with your girlfriend / wife / dad enjoying the countryside / trails. You get to pedal hard enough to get the training stimulus while also sharing the time and experience with somebody you wouldn't otherwise be able to. 

keep this thing on gravel roads where required skill levels required should match those that a newbie should be able to cope with or a 96 year old grandpa can feel comfortable on.

keep this thing on gravel roads where required skill levels required should match those that a newbie should be able to cope with or a 96 year old grandpa can feel comfortable on.

At a second glance the geometry does look a bit serious for a casual day's cruising. 

Still if someone wants to enjoy the forest etc they have my blessing. If someone plans to shred the local trails they shouldn't use this.

Remember, not all bikes are made for SA, nor the purpose we use them for. I can imagine that this bike could help guys in Europe tackle some crazy mountains.

Strangely this doesn't bother me near as much as guys who buy fat bikes. Fat bikes are made for seriously soft sand and snow, its like putting tire chains on your car. 

Remember, not all bikes are made for SA, nor the purpose we use them for. I can imagine that this bike could help guys in Europe tackle some crazy mountains.

Strangely this doesn't bother me near as much as guys who buy fat bikes. Fat bikes are made for seriously soft sand and snow, its like putting tire chains on your car. 

interesting thought for you ...... I think a fat bike tyre causes less damage to the trail than an XC width tyre.

I had a quick look at the battery specs of the existing Spez Turbo bikes. 500Wh is more than I would have thought.

You would be able to do an entire 2h ride without pedaling unless I'm missing something.

During this years Gravel & Grape stage race there was a guy who had a mtb with "pedal assist". Don't recall the brand name however. I think the electrical system was Bosch though. 

Reason he was on it was because of some health issue, he was not allowed to get his heart rate above a certain number. If I remember correctly. 

I don't remember all the details but the control unit picks up his heart rate and would actually automatically activate the motor once his HR reached a certain number.

The bike was pretty darn heavy as well. Also think he had to carry a spare battery with him as the battery only lasted a x-amount of time. The weight of the bike made handling rather difficult.

I thought it was pretty awesome that he could enjoy the sport despite the health problem that he has. 

For a normal, perfectly healthy person jumping on one of these, I don't know so much. That would be like ordering a diet coke with your super size McDonalds meal, or something. 

Wow! Now fat people can ride bikes up mountains without worrying about that pesky thing called "weight loss".  

It's better than sitting in front of the tv. Maybe it's a place to start where it previously seemed hopeless? Pedal 10% today and 20% next month.

The larger cycling demographic is more than just the South African racing snakes.