Re Spray by Bogus Designs

Do it! Especially if it's just for yourself. Just don't go and try and sell it as something it's not, which it doesn't sound like you're planning on doing, so I say do it!

Nah I would never consider selling it - it would be just for me only.  

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing of course which I wondered about, is the ethical dilemma of the Spraypainter - from what I have read here Bogus seems like a very straight up and down kind of guy - so would he (or any other painter) even consider painting a unbranded frame in Bianchi, or any other Manufactures name for that matter.

So long as it differs enough to not get sued I say do it.

Add some 29er logo's and a name here and there to make it unique. Maybe Bianchi with a very small "replica" next to it.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

I wouldn't spray 'Bianchi' on a bike that wasn't a Bianchi.

I understand the sentiment but it's not a Bianchi.

As someone who gets really excited over guitars, I can build a Telecaster out of mahogany with a maple flame top, Wenge wood fret board, mahogany neck, locking tuners, the best pick ups and spec Pots and switches etc so it might play better than any actual Tele on the market, but I still wouldn't put 'Fender' on the head stock.

But maybe that's just me.

As someone who gets really excited over guitars, I can build a Telecaster out of mahogany with a maple flame top, Wenge wood fret board, mahogany neck, locking tuners, the best pick ups and spec Pots and switches etc so it might play better than any actual Tele on the market, but I still wouldn't put 'Fender' on the head stock.

ever sell any of these builds?

I don't see the problem personally, unless you then tried to sell said guitar as a Fender.......

​Love what they offer: https://www.blackbeardsden.com/

Myself - which is why I probably haven't done it yet.  As nice as it would be it just doesn't sit well in the gut. It was good to hear everyone else's opinions though.

Oh well - option two then - I used to also race a Le Turbo Grid 5 BMX - So if I can get a really nice Chrome- look paint finish, then I'm going with this. 

And I have no issues branding a bike a Le Turbo - hell, does anyone even still remember them?

post-15215-0-32743000-1600159306_thumb.jpg

Myself - which is why I probably haven't done it yet.  As nice as it would be it just doesn't sit well in the gut. It was good to hear everyone else's opinions though.

Oh well - option two then - I used to also race a Le Turbo Grid 5 BMX - So if I can get a really nice Chrome- look paint finish, then I'm going with this. 

And I have no issues branding a bike a Le Turbo - hell, does anyone even still remember them?

Chrome Wrap

Seeing as we are talking frame resprays, I have a question which I'd like opinion on - my very first proper MTB was a Bianchi Julian Absalom replica.  Loved that bike and it's paintjob and rode it until the frame cracked where it was replaced with a Giant XTC frame.

I now ride a blank carbon frame from China and would love to have it sprayed - in the old Bianchi colours - including the name.  Part of me says that seeing as it's a 29er and the old Bianchi only ever came out in 26er everyone would know it's not genuine so it should be fine, but there's still a nagging feeling that it's not quite the right thing to do....

Comments?

I'm with Eddy on this one.  Replicate the colours/design - but change the name or leave it off...

For some balance .... a single colour spray jobs can be had from R 2 500 (2019 rates) .... 

Some of the serious art work DO take a LOT more man-hours to complete, and would thus cost significantly more ...

How does anyone make any money at that price?  I would say materials cost at least R1000 (primer, base, clear, sand paper, thinners etc).  Then 6 to 8 hours labour.  (Sanding, coating, polishing and packaging).   I don't see a lot of money left over.

Anyone charging R2500 is doing themselves a dis-service (and the industry as a whole).  :wacko:

I know Parlee charges USD100 per hour for custom paint.

most bikes are between 4-6 hours of work.

Price per hour looks about right.

It took me about 4-6 hours just to get the base coat on  :cursing:

Myself - which is why I probably haven't done it yet. As nice as it would be it just doesn't sit well in the gut. It was good to hear everyone else's opinions though.

Yep full on race bike...with Ofmega components

Bought second hand from Alan Van Heerden

The salesman was....Willie Englebrecht

Edited by Kranswurm