Durban Hill Training

Veebee

So with the Amashova and 94.7 fast approaching, I need to spend more time riding serious hills. Climbing is my biggest weakness. I can ride flats well, my body is able to handle distances of 80-100km so thats not a major concern now.

Now looking at the Amashova profile, and with the first 15km being UP I need to prepare for that.

Where in Durban would you train hills that will help make a difference ? Something that I could do on a weekend.

I live in Merewent and started riding in Bluff but there isn't any loooong climbs around here.

Can 1 ride the Amashova route or part of it while still being safe from traffic ?

And I have to add this as I know it will come up... I am working on my weight loss... 10Kg down already since April and pushing hard to get to about 85kg by end September. Currently 95kg.

Thanks.

Interesting topic - i will be following this one.

Around where I live in Durban North we have:

• Margaret Maytom - Dbn North
  • Addison Drive - La Lucia
  • Armstrong Ave toward gateway - La Lucia

All of these, while reasonably steep, are not very long, so repeats would be necessary

• Plenty hills around Ballito in the surrounding areas.

I am sure there are much more knowledgeable people than me out there, though.

And yes, the whole of the Amashova route is safe, except obviously for the last bit on the N3 into Durbs which is out of bounds until race day.

I'm happy for you to join me on some rides where I can show you some nice hilly routes. We'll go at your pace so no pressure, just social riding. You can then go back and tackle them in your own time and start keeping record of your PBs to track progress (the best way to learn to climb).

Edit: I don't feel safe on the M13, esp. going down Fields Hill, so I usually avoid that section as well until race day.

Edited by tombeej

Come join me on a Saturday morning doing repeats of the M19 climb to Pinetown :)

This, I will skip for now. Coming down there is great fun, not going up.

just create a route around berea...i'm sure you will find some nice hill climbing in all of that. As for the amashova route...yes you can ride up thornville road...but people do drive like idits there so just be aware

And yes, the whole of the Amashova route is safe, except obviously for the last bit on the N3 into Durbs which is out of bounds until race day.

I'm happy for you to join me on some rides where I can show you some nice hilly routes. We'll go at your pace so no pressure, just social riding. You can then go back and tackle them in your own time and start keeping record of your PBs to track progress (the best way to learn to climb).

Edit: I don't feel safe on the M13, esp. going down Fields Hill, so I usually avoid that section as well until race day.

Thanks for the offer, and I will definitely take you up on that very soon. Had a long break from hills, In the past month, I've only been getting some hill work done on the weekends and circuit in the week. now that I'm riding around bluff in the week, my body will adapt quicker.

So I will join you in a week or 2. And thanks for the info on the Amashova route, will maybe tackle part of that closer to the event, even if its just the first 35-50km.

I think hills in races is different from training. On race day you need to be as light as possible and be used to riding on the rivet for long periods, like 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Most hills are too short to reproduce this kind of effort.

I think the home trainer or rollers is very good for this type of thing. Put it on a very hard resistance and ride hard until you start to feel desperate, then ride a few minutes longer. Repeat a few more times. So in an hour you are pushing hard for 20 minutes in total.

Bring it On cycles ride from Kloof to Umhlanga and back up the m19 hill on most Sunday. Mostly downhill and basically it is like a race. Ride the downhill part which will give you 20 personal Strava records plus 30 kays at race pace, then ride home afterwards to the Bluff.

I think hills in races is different from training. On race day you need to be as light as possible and be used to riding on the rivet for long periods, like 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Most hills are too short to reproduce this kind of effort.

I think the home trainer or rollers is very good for this type of thing. Put it on a very hard resistance and ride hard until you start to feel desperate, then ride a few minutes longer. Repeat a few more times. So in an hour you are pushing hard for 20 minutes in total.

Bring it On cycles ride from Kloof to Umhlanga and back up the m19 hill on most Sunday. Mostly downhill and basically it is like a race. Ride the downhill part which will give you 20 personal Strava records plus 30 kays at race pace, then ride home afterwards to the Bluff.

Well the pace would be quicker on race day, but if you don't have the strength to even go up then you burnt before you started.

Agree that most hills are too short, which is probably why its best to train the route or something that's harder. Up the M19 like Tombeej mentioned would be good training imo.

I prefer the outdoors, and get bored very very easily so a trainer or rollers may not work for me.

I joined East Coast Cycling club this week, so I'm sure those club rides are going to help improve my riding.

That's why the M19 is the perfect training climb.

Gradient of 5 - 7% for nearly 4km, which means a 13 - 17 min sustained tempo effort depending on ability (and how many repeats you've done before).

Plus it has a huge shoulder, so safe riding.

So with the Amashova and 94.7 fast approaching, I need to spend more time riding serious hills. Climbing is my biggest weakness. I can ride flats well, my body is able to handle distances of 80-100km so thats not a major concern now.

Now looking at the Amashova profile, and with the first 15km being UP I need to prepare for that.

Where in Durban would you train hills that will help make a difference ? Something that I could do on a weekend.

I live in Merewent and started riding in Bluff but there isn't any loooong climbs around here.

Can 1 ride the Amashova route or part of it while still being safe from traffic ?

And I have to add this as I know it will come up... I am working on my weight loss... 10Kg down already since April and pushing hard to get to about 85kg by end September. Currently 95kg.

Thanks.

You have options. From Merewent you can ride towards town and head up Berea Rd to the M13 into Westville and then either head along Jan Hofmeyer to Blair Atholl towards the M19 and into Pinetown (or take Methven Rd past the New Germany Nature Reserve or turn along Birdhurst into Pinetown) where you can ether go up and over Cowies and back to town or head into Pinetown where you can then head out along Underwood Road and along Sarnia Road back towards the Bluff (Not along the M7 though...) Can do that in reverse as well. (Sarnia Road is a steady climb to Pinetown)

Another route is up Rick Turner (Francious Rd) and onto Harry Gwala (Spine Rd) to Jan Hofmeyer. 

Have seen cyclists using these routes before so I assume it's safe

Not sure if that helps...

Edited by Grebel

I've found that the route from Hillcrest (Oscars) towards Camperdown or Lion Park and back to be the most hilly.

This includes a fair portion of the the 'Shova route (on the way back towards Durban) and some pretty challenging gradients. 

I'd be a bit of a drive up there in the mornings but a good couple of cyclists leave from Oscars on that route over weekend mornings. 

Vivek, Tombeej is the man to listen to (also an ECCC member when he slows down enough to ride with us)! 

The M19 is the perfect preparation for Amashova.  However, I would also suggest Cowie's Hill to Pinetown and closer to the race we will do Hillcrest to Cato Ridge as well for one of the club rides.

The long climb up to Ballito from the Lagoon is also ideal (the guys are doing this on Saturday).

On Tuesday mornings you can Join Mark, Costa and me (and now Jonathan) when we do the Trematon Drive to Queen Mary Ave loop twice.  We start at 5:10 from Musgrave Road.

Edited by Dazshell

Just a heads-up.  Make sure you do not ride any of these routes alone.  Especially if it s dark.  Safety in numbers, both for muggings and mechanicals.

Thanks for all the replies !!

Just a heads-up.  Make sure you do not ride any of these routes alone.  Especially if it s dark.  Safety in numbers, both for muggings and mechanicals.

Yes for sure ! It may sound strange but I felt a lot safer cycling in JHB than I do here. Maybe its just my area... Bluff is ok and there's always guys out so will stick to what works for now.

Edited by Vivek B

That's why the M19 is the perfect training climb.

Gradient of 5 - 7% for nearly 4km, which means a 13 - 17 min sustained tempo effort depending on ability (and how many repeats you've done before).

Plus it has a huge shoulder, so safe riding.

I must admit that I like to ride the M19 climb to see where I am before a big race.

For me the usual training scenario is mid week when I feel like doing something hard and I have a choice between ride a big hill locally which takes a minute or two, versus 5 or 10 minute intervals on the trainer.