[Event] Fedhealth MTB Challenge

News bot

Best idea for having the 35km start first. The congestion at Hoogekraal would be horrible if the two routes merged there by starting the 60km first. No way to pass and the 60km is going down Cobra and then remerging at the top again. It might be hotter but both races should have clear trail now

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lovely ride, so glad I didn't do the 60km today, that last 'push/climb' up the back of Dorstberg is no fun. No Epic needed for me! :) well organised event!

What a well-orginised event. We did the 35km and despite rather large field, we had minimal hold-ups on the route. I had Contermanskloof was done at a much more leisurely pace than what I usually do it, there were 1 or 2 stop-start situations at Hoogekraal, but once we started the Hoogekraal climb, we had pretty much clear track down Hoogekraal.

The quarry climb felt better than 2011 when I last did it, and the Meerendal single track is a fitting way to end an event like this.

Thanks Fedhealth and Isuzu for a wonderful event on our back door.

Just wanted to drop a line to thank the riders from the 35km race for making passing such a breeze. I was among the top-10 of the 65km and, apart from a few places where I warned riders not to get out of the way as it was dangerous to pass, the courtesy and good humour of those we were riding past was amazing. 

I thought there might be some drama when I realized the two races would converge on Hoogekraal and the Dorstberg climb. But there were no issues. Not sure how others felt?

One of the riders I passed unfortunately went off the trail on the descent into Meerendal and gleefully showed me his bleeding knees and bruised ankle at the finish line, but he was laughing so figured he wasn't too miffed.

I'd like to apologise to him if I caused this but I always make a point of cautioning riders I'm approaching from just riding off the trail or stopping in a dodgy spot. I think he just ran out of skill in hurrying to get out the way...

All-in-all a superb ride. No free sections at all. Totally broken. Wish I hadn't let it all go over winter :blush:

Just wanted to drop a line to thank the riders from the 35km race for making passing such a breeze. I was among the top-10 of the 65km and, apart from a few places where I warned riders not to get out of the way as it was dangerous to pass, the courtesy and good humour of those we were riding past was amazing. 

I thought there might be some drama when I realized the two races would converge on Hoogekraal and the Dorstberg climb. But there were no issues. Not sure how others felt?

One of the riders I passed unfortunately went off the trail on the descent into Meerendal and gleefully showed me his bleeding knees and bruised ankle at the finish line, but he was laughing so figured he wasn't too miffed.

I'd like to apologise to him if I caused this but I always make a point of cautioning riders I'm approaching from just riding off the trail or stopping in a dodgy spot. I think he just ran out of skill in hurrying to get out the way...

All-in-all a superb ride. No free sections at all. Totally broken. Wish I hadn't let it all go over winter :blush:

And respect to all of you who, without exception, acknowledged us as we cheered you on up Dorstberg. I wouldn't have believed it humanly possible to cycle up there at the speeds you were all going.   

I would like to second this post. What an absolute pleasure it was merging with the 35km race. You guys were all amazing and I've never seen riders make such an incredible effort to let us past.

Not only did you all make haste to let us past, but the cheers and encouragement made it that much more enjoyable and impressive.

Big high fives to all of you! :clap:

And respect to all of you who, without exception, acknowledged us as we cheered you on up Dorstberg. I wouldn't have believed it humanly possible to cycle up there at the speeds you were all going.

It really is a kaaaaak climb, isn't it.

Raydek and I were planning on a ride this morning. Until we found that the whole of tygerberg trails would kinda be out... And then the wind.

Made up for it with a quick 32km round the bits at home.

That climbing would be kaaak though.

For the 60k okes - which way did you make your way down contermans?

flippen hell, the 60 was tough!  Surely its because I'm not fit at the moment, but still, woaw!

At around the 40km mark I realized I'm running on empty and from around 50km I was nursing cramping legs - I made it to the top of dorstberg with minimal walking (unfortunately had to stop when people in front of me pushed) but that was that for me, going down was even harder with both legs cramping up...  Luckily finished with semi decent time.

All in though - beautiful trails, amazing scenery, lekker vibes all-round and a challenging (read: hard as nails) race.

At the beginning of the 35km, they said we could either 'Go straight up Dorstberg or do the switchbacks'. I ended up pushing up a very narrow, steep (>20%), rocky path. Did I perhaps miss a turnoff to 'switchbacks', cos anyone cycling up the rocky bit is a beast. I could barely push the bike, until it got a bit smoother and I could pedal the rest of the way.

And I dislike 'youths' - they climb too fast, descend too fast, just overall too fast...

At the beginning of the 35km, they said we could either 'Go straight up Dorstberg or do the switchbacks'. I ended up pushing up a very narrow, steep (>20%), rocky path. Did I perhaps miss a turnoff to 'switchbacks', cos anyone cycling up the rocky bit is a beast. I could barely push the bike, until it got a bit smoother and I could pedal the rest of the way.

And I dislike 'youths' - they climb too fast, descend too fast, just overall too fast...

I did not see any switchbacks - just the rocky section, super tech climbing! Switchbacks would make sense for 90% of the riders on the stage, especially 50km into what is essentially a climbing race, where legs are beyond tired.  And even if the rocky section is shorter, you'd still probably be faster on a longer rideable switchback section, than the stop start action on the rocks.

Anyone see the switchbacks?

That's the upper section of Dorstberg. BITCH of a climb. 

That's the upper section of Dorstberg. BITCH of a climb.

We went up the back section where they did the Epic, not the normal everyday one you do on the Meerendal route. Up through the quarry then it gets ridiculous - I get up the normal one easily now that I am not so fat, but yesterday I didn't get close! :eek: Edited by Thor Buttox

My two boys did the 500m race, was loads of fun and well organised. I would only suggest that maybe to push it to 1km. These kids got more energy than what we think. Having said that, I suck at running