Kubu Island, Sowa Pan, Botswana

zappa

Anybody cycled to Kubu Island on Sowa Pan? Intend to drive up to Mmatshumo then start from somewhere past that.

Any tips advice appreciated.

Special very spiritual place that. Enjoy. Hope you find it deserted! That way it is the best, oh, and a full moon night. Never cycled there, but I would say, don't worry about your climbing abilities!

Was so disappointed that my bike was not with me when I was there earlier this year, truly an awesome place. But that mud would be a challenge, still finding it on my trailer despite attention with the hi pressure cleaner. The surrounds would be fine until you break through the crust!

• 1 month later...

I see you took the bike trailer you built on a proper trip, cool, very jealous!

We were there a year ago... must be absolutely awesome to cycle those pans....

There is an annual organised cycle tour/race there. Read about it somewhere, think it's 3 days, read Jonty Rhodes' "trip report" about it.

Fun to ride there but If it's muddy it would be an absolute nightmare. When we hit mud much like one of the pictures above it just clogs up completely, you need to push to dry ground and clean out the muck before carrying on. If you going to cross the whole pan take lots of water. There is literally faak all out there.

We flew in by small plane with two bikes but I would love to ride in some time. We did about 60km each day with total altitude gain of about 12m.

One other thing is that it's not resistance free like a hard pack road. It's often soft when you sink through the top crust.

post-38965-0-67342300-1440089099_thumb.jpg

post-38965-0-51942600-1440089117_thumb.jpg

post-38965-0-51575800-1440089131_thumb.jpg

...............We flew in by small plane with two bikes............

Sounds like a great adventure. Very nice looking plane. What is it? Prototype? Edited by DJR

Looks like a Sling

I'm no expert but I have seen that plane at Tedderfield a few times, so if not a Sling then something from those same guys?

This is how my Dad did it in the days before MTB...

I sailed the sand yacht from the E side of Sua Pan to Kubu in July 1986. In spite of it being the "dry" season there was a large damp spot about halfway that caused some concern. I skirted it as far as I could but it was too big to avoid completely. I used a map and compass which will be superseded now by satnav and cellphones. It is a bit scary in the middle as you are completely out of sight of "land". I packed a couple of sandwiches and water, probably insufficient if anything had happened, but I had a back up crew who knew my route and when to expect me at Kubu. I think the crossing took 45m to 1h. and the wind was in my favour. One of my most exhilarating memories

post-64368-0-27469400-1440260159_thumb.jpg

Edited by KALBO Designs

This is how my Dad did it in the days before MTB...

I sailed the sand yacht from the E side of Sua Pan to Kubu in July 1986. In spite of it being the "dry" season there was a large damp spot about halfway that caused some concern. I skirted it as far as I could but it was too big to avoid completely. I used a map and compass which will be superseded now by satnav and cellphones. It is a bit scary in the middle as you are completely out of sight of "land". I packed a couple of sandwiches and water, probably insufficient if anything had happened, but I had a back up crew who knew my route and when to expect me at Kubu. I think the crossing took 45m to 1h. and the wind was in my favour. One of my most exhilarating memories

Amazing. I am keen to build one of these for pans in the northern Cape. Apparently a group of Kommetjie guys go up every year with "trikes" powered with windsurfing sails. Sounds like good fun.