Review: Scott Genius 740

Iwan Kemp

Scott's Genius range of bikes have formed part of their line-up for more than a decade and has undergone numerous refinements since its introduction. In 2013, the Genius was launched in 27.5" and 29” wheels sizes with the 27.5" 700 series featuring 150mm of travel, while the 29" 900 series have 130mm of travel. SCOTT Sports SA sent us a 150mm Genius 740 to test.

Click here to view the article

Few questions:

1. I assume you rode it in the "Low" setting for the review? Did you still feel at 67.9' that is was too steep? 

2. Will swopping out forks compromise the twinlock system or could you still use it on any other RL fork?  Otherwise, is it removable?

Just had a look at their website an I must say I am baffeld how even the top-spec Genius is still stocked with a 2x10 drivetrain (XTR, but still, what is this 2013?) and a 32mm Fox (Kashima who cares).

It's only the Tuned Genius that runs 1x11 but still a string of spaghetti up front.

If you're going to charge R60k and up for a bike then you need to run 1x11 and a Pike/Fox 34.  Otherwise you're basically telling your customer to spend that cash plus still upgrade it.

I can't help feel that this is because of the TwinLock system.

2x10 is still viewed by some oems to be the drivetrain of choice for people who want a versatile bike. The wider gearing still gives most riders more get up and go options

Also as the review notes, this bike is pegged into a category where Joe soap just wants a bike that can do a lot of everything and not be pegged into one category of riding. The original 2005. Genius nailed this category and it appears this bike is a worthy decendant.

There are plenty of enduro specific bikes out there. This genius is not such a bike

Hi Nico

1. "Too steep" is relative and a question best answered around a braai or out on the trail. Not because I'm trying to avoid the answer, but it's a big question that I feel should not get a flat, yes or no answer.

On the trails I rode I never felt it was too steep although there were some sections on one trail I missed a slightly slacker HA.

2. It can work with any fork that can take a remote lever

3. RRP of R34,500

2x10 is still viewed by some oems to be the drivetrain of choice for people who want a versatile bike. The wider gearing still gives most riders more get up and go options Also as the review notes, this bike is pegged into a category where Joe soap just wants a bike that can do a lot of everything and not be pegged into one category of riding. The original 2005. Genius nailed this category and it appears this bike is a worthy decendant. There are plenty of enduro specific bikes out there. This genius is not such a bike

2016 Spez Stumpjumper and 2016 Spez Camber are 1x11 SRAM (GX and higher), apart from 1 bike at the bottom of each range that's 2x10.

2016 Spez Stumpjumper and 2016 Spez Camber are 1x11 SRAM (GX and higher), apart from 1 bike at the bottom of each range that's 2x10.

Other than advertise for specialized what is the point you're trying to make?

Scott obviously is marketing the genius differently to specialized which is stating the obvious because they're different companies with different ideas on providing solutions for their respective customers.

If the scott doesn't tick the boxes on your buying sheet then move onto something that does. The genius is pitched to people looking for one bike they can ride xc, marathon or enduro on.

So it has to be as light as possible, provide gearing range and be easy to set up for different uses.

I think it ticks all those boxes nicely

Other than advertise for specialized what is the point you're trying to make?

Scott obviously is marketing the genius differently to specialized which is stating the obvious because they're different companies with different ideas on providing solutions for their respective customers.

If the scott doesn't tick the boxes on your buying sheet then move onto something that does. The genius is pitched to people looking for one bike they can ride xc, marathon or enduro on.

So it has to be as light as possible, provide gearing range and be easy to set up for different uses.

I think it ticks all those boxes nicely

chill, dude.  My point was that there are other approaches out there due to cheap 1x11 becoming available.  Which approach is correct - who knows?

My statement goes to the heart of SRAM's assertion (if I understand it correctly) that its 1x11 provides as wide a range as 2x10's.

No advertising for Spaz, merely an illustration that not all OEM's regard 2x10 as the way forward, esp not with cheap 1x11 (sram GX) available.

The Camber is regarded as spez's all-in-one bike and it's almost exclusively 1x11, which surprised me.

I am not entirely convinced by spez's choice but 1x11 seems to make a lot of sense IF there's enough gearing to get up AND down hills.

PS: for the record, I ride 2x10 myself - thus my surprise at the new spez 1x11

I didn't say the manufacturers regard 2x10 as a better way forward.

I said "2x10 is still viewed by some oems to be the drivetrain of choice for people who want a versatile bike".

That means this is information they have based on feedback from the market. Not every OEM feels the need to push the market toward 1x11. Some will move as the market moves, others have moved to 1X systems because it provides a technical solution to packaging the rear wheel more tightly.

Perhaps gearing range is not an optimal choice of words. Gearings steps is maybe better but 2x10 system do tend to have a wider range. A 1x system can have equal range but its at the expense of the number of steps in the middle. Not everybody likes the wide steps in SRAM's 1x11, hence Shimano are cool with rhythm step.

I find Scott to be an OEM that specs their bikes intelligently for the intended purpose. Camber may be a do it all but its 110mm 29 isn't It? the 29er version of the Genius is 130mm so not exactly apples with apples comparison

I didn't say the manufacturers regard 2x10 as a better way forward.

I said "2x10 is still viewed by some oems to be the drivetrain of choice for people who want a versatile bike".

That means this is information they have based on feedback from the market. Not every OEM feels the need to push the market toward 1x11. Some will move as the market moves, others have moved to 1X systems because it provides a technical solution to packaging the rear wheel more tightly.

Perhaps gearing range is not an optimal choice of words. Gearings steps is maybe better but 2x10 system do tend to have a wider range. A 1x system can have equal range but its at the expense of the number of steps in the middle. Not everybody likes the wide steps in SRAM's 1x11, hence Shimano are cool with rhythm step.

I find Scott to be an OEM that specs their bikes intelligently for the intended purpose. Camber may be a do it all but its 110mm 29 isn't It? the 29er version of the Genius is 130mm so not exactly apples with apples comparison

You make valid points around gearing that put my (similar) views in clearer words / terminology.

The new camber is 120mm (29er) and 130mm (27.5), both versions with slackened head tube angles, so I think they're aimed at the same market as the Scoot (even if not 100% identical).  The reason I read this article is because I am in the market for this kind of do-it-all bike (also looked at the Pivot mach 429 but is $$$).

My personal feeling is that 1x11 could be a bridge too far for weekend hackers like me.  The weight and complexity savings could possibly not compensate for the loss of gearing options and thus my concern.

I am also acutely aware that manufacturers try to create something NEW! IMPROVED! STUFF! every year to sell bikes to us.

BTW, spez removed its much-criticized "brain" from the stumpy (to approval from everyone) and then went and installed it on the Camber. Go figure...I don't get it.

It seems all a bit moot though.  The 2016 range Genius seems to run beefier Fox forks and 1x11 deeper into the range.  Guess the market has forced their hand.

It seems all a bit moot though.  The 2016 range Genius seems to run beefier Fox forks and 1x11 deeper into the range.  Guess the market has forced their hand.

Yes Nico, Product Engineering is a moving target