Wheels vs Power Meter, what would you do...

Veebee

Just throwing it out there. Not buying anything just yet but if you could only chose 1 to improve your cycling, which would it be ?

Lets say with a budget of about R10-15k ?

This could get you:

Stages PM

Darkhouse Full Carbon 50mm/Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS 52mm

In the old days, without PM's, it would mean just riding and getting stronger and quicker, so wheels would then be more beneficial. But now with all the number crunching going around, a PM would help with more specific training.

So which would it be and why ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard one, wheels will be instant gratification, lekker and give you a slight performance increase. The wheels will also make your bike look hot...don't discount this :)

PM will mean zero if you don't use it, and by using it I mean properly with a structured program. You will also have to train your mielie off to see the benefits, but once they kick...it will be worth way more.

far from a racing snake at the moment. but its work in progress, and new goodies would only be on the cards in a year or so, but that's only if I can get my average up another 5km/hr and closer to 28-30 on a 100km/1000m ride.

only riding for about 10 months now, but "seriously" for the last 5 months or. So my body still has a lot more to deliver [just need to unleash it] before I look at upgrades to make me quicker.

Edited by Vivek B

Why not save the R15K till you get that average up to 28-30K.

By then there will be:

1) better power meter products on the market

2) better wheels available

Maybe you can even get both if you invest it wisely

win win

Edited by raptor-22

Why not save the R15K till you get that average up to 28-30K.

well that's exactly what I am doing. As I mentioned above, I am not buying anything just yet

Edited by Vivek B

good, because there nothing cooler than going slow on deep sections and a power meter :ph34r:

that's just a good way of showing off what you have, too fast and you only give people a glimpse of it.

if possible, join a local power class (costs about R1,000p/m in jhb) and see whether you can get any quick gains and whether you like using the power meter.

it's a class, so get a buddy to go along for extra motivation for 05h00 classes.

wheels will make the biggest improvement and you can still train and improve using a HRM.

As more enter the market with PM production and inherent manufacturing costs get cheaper so will the PM's in time

Person dependent, but if you are analytical not much comes close to a PM. Need a coach or read the literature on how to use it though. 

if possible, join a local power class (costs about R1,000p/m in jhb) and see whether you can get any quick gains and whether you like using the power meter.

it's a class, so get a buddy to go along for extra motivation for 05h00 classes.

This...get the wiele and sign up for a class

is Cadence cycling a good place to start ?