Cycling in General in RSA

Whafe

Hi All. I'm a kiwi from New Zealand that lives at present in Spain. I have another work relocation to South Africa. Have been a good many times over the past 4 years. Spent most of my time in the Western Cape.

I will be living in the area of Pretoria, 99% sure it will be near the Hartebeesports dam which is fairly close to Pretoria.

Any thoughts etc on MTB & Road cycling in the area would be hugely helpful. Road ride mainly for fitness, but enjoy MTB more.

Is the MTB mainly XC or more DH / FR type ridiing

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi Whafe

As Bruce said there is alot of MTB in that area, and if you are willing to drive a short distance there is two places to go do mountain biking, one is called Logwood and is more for the technical fundies and the other is Northern Farm which is more XC riding.

Placed in that area you are pretty close to alot of rides that cyclist (such as the guys and gals on the hub) are always organising. You might just have to drive to meet everyone somewhere, but most of us do that in anycase from all directions.

When you get here the best thing to do is probably join a club or else keep watching the hub for rides. 

I think just about every road race I have done recently has gone passed

Harties at some stage of the route this year... defintely a popular

area for race organisers it seems...

Perico2006-09-22 09:01:30

Hi All, thank you for your replies, dam, couldnt have wished for better answers. In fact am stoked. Big%20smile

Amateur, when you say a short distance, approx. how far, just so as I know if we are on the same wave length for a short distance.

Is there any good LBS in the area, or Pretoria?

Once again, appreciate the help on this. You are all helping make my decision easier to move to South Africa.

There is a few in PTA.

Can think of Bruce and Fritz near TUKS (University of Pretoria), and then Hot Spot Cycles (hotspotcyc@mweb.co.za) in the Atterbury Value Mart. Shout if you need more info.

Regards

CoisCois2006-09-23 00:03:31

Am seeing that cycling is quite a big sport in South Africa with great participation. So am sure there will be numerous great LBS.

May shout out when I get to the area. Should be in 4 - 6 weeks.

A pain moving again. Went form New Zealand to Spain in January, now a move to South Africa...... Mind you, you all know what rugby is...........Smile

A pain moving again. Went form New Zealand to Spain in January' date=' now a move to South Africa...... Mind you, you all know what rugby is...........Smile
[/quote']

Sure we know what it is, it's just that we have forgotten how to play it.

Plenty LBS in Northern Johannesburg as well as Pretoria.  Our local bike mags usually have quite a comprehensive list.

A pain moving again. Went form New Zealand to Spain in January' date=' now a move to South Africa...... Mind you, you all know what rugby is...........Smile

[/quote']

Sure we know what it is, it's just that we have forgotten how to play it.

Yeah, you may think you have forgotten how to play it. Am stoked you guys beat us though. You know what the All Blacks are like, they win win win, then buckle under the pressure at the world cup and play like girls............. Maybe next year we will win it. SA will develop well I think in the next 12 months though..... I would rather loose to SA than Australia anyday...............

Plenty LBS in Northern Johannesburg as well as Pretoria.  Our local bike mags usually have quite a comprehensive list.

Thanks, will pick up soem local mags next time am there before moving fully

I would rather loose to SA than Australia anyday...............

I'd rather lose to England than to Australia, that's how much I hate losing to the Aussies.

When you are out here, pick up a magazine called "Ride".  It has a good directory of all the Bike Shops in SA.