chapeau Doug Ryder

Shebeen

What would be in it for them? Does Europe even know or care who or what MTN is, as they don't have networks there? The "branding exercise" might work for Saffers and Africans up North, but what would they gain? Now if Samsung were to step up to the plate... 

Make no mistake I'm screaming as loud as everyone else, but the pessimist in me tells me it will be short lived in terms of the current title sponsors. eksemaarnet..

dunno hey, MTN sponsored FIFA world cup too didn't they(or just the CAF one, not sure)? Interesting for me is that they don't have a network in eritrea - it's not like they're getting much direct exposure in nigeria which is possibly their biggest market.

but none of these bike team sponsorships really make sense to me. the direct bike ones i can understand(to a degree - how does a mid tier brand like BMC really justify the costs?). the french banks/lottos are a sort of understandable but ones like quickstep(yup, they make flooring)??

A typical day in 2004 was wake up at 4am; ride 100km’s before work, home by 07h30; at work by 08h30. Work until 17h00 and race to Kyalami race track to do another 60 – 90 minutes before dark on the track. Home by 19h30, kids were already asleep, have dinner and catch up with Nicky my wife and then in bed by 21h00 – the same again the next day.

Wow. This is insane. If I were to try do this, I would be burnt-out in a fortnight.

Edited by GaryvdM

Wow. This is insane. If I were to try do this, I would be burnt-out in a fortnight.

ja i also baulked...but surely no ways was that a normal day...can't be doing full time work and ~700km during the week. - and then long rides on weekends? that must have been an EXTREME day.

but still muchos respect.

Their reaction just goes to show... These guys, individually and collectively as a team, have raced all over the world. They should be fairly used to success and winning. But taking a stage at leTdF is the ultimate... And doing so within a setup managed by people that appreciate your effort, even more so.