Ramiez

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a good move 

I should of broke with them lol

Yes I thought with 50km to go and no other big climbs the group will reel them in sooner than later - well done to them..

I got a porridge wheel in the industrial unfortunately so I missed my 2 hour bus.

Started with the G-H, a lot of Cycles Direct and Outriders dropped back to start as a team. 

It was pretty hectic from the word go, full on killarney in duinefontein already.

They caught the E-F group on the westcoast road already just past the first atlantis turnoff.

I always make the mistake on that hill to not move up to the front before we get there (as I am not a skinny climbing machine) So the front machines got away there.

Punctured shortly thereafter and then you just grab onto whatever is coming past.

I must say it was a nice event even though it was shorter. Yes, the roads are rough but it adds something else to the race.

I took a drive to darling last saturday and they had pretty big roadworks going on there so that is likely the reason why they canned the long 118 route. So maybe it will be back for next year.... ????

I got there really early took me 2 min to register and spent the rest of the time freezing my fingers off. It was 4 deg!!!!

My friend almost missed the race and had to drop back to Temp because he was in the looooong line.

Hey Woofie I was in E-F group and we were going at snails pace from the start and I was actually hoping that the G bunch would catch us to add some firepower to our group.

Its a pity that you got dropped on that climb as the pace was pretty high from there especially with the Cycles Direct and Outriders on the front.

Edited by Bankie99

The only negative comment I have, and this might uncover my noobness, is that there were no medals. Its a fun ride, give the guys a reminder of completion. I like my growing medal collection. It brings back pleasant memories and shows me how far I have come. Dont take that away from us noobs and try to save 10 or 15 bucks.

Edited by Maniax

I rode in E-F group but we started very slowly and we were soon caught by a massive G group that contained Cycles Direct + Outriders teams and they were really putting on the pace.

On the Mamre drag up the hill the bunch was soon split as the pace was pretty high and I managed to sit with the front guys pretty comfy. The pace was high throughout the race as it seemed to be a battle of the clubs. 

With 10kms to go Cycles direct guys put in some hectic attacks after attacks but the bunch kept on bringing them back and even I managed to chase down 2 or 3 of their breaks and that really hurt me but I managed to recover and sit in the group as we took the right turn towards the finishing straight.

At the turn I lost a little ground to the front boys and thought that i was out for the sprint but then the guys started playing cat n mouse on the front so I got back and worked my way to the front. With 1 km to go I was 4th but then I almost got put in the gravel so I had to tap off and lost some ground. 

1 rider from G went off the front and managed to take the sprint with me coming in 5th but I was kind of disappointed as I had the legs to challenge for the win but I have learnt some sprinting skills y-day and where to place myself in future.

I managed  1h56 but I forgot my racetec chip in the car and I have already contacted racetec and sent them my strava link.

All in all nice day of racing but just that piece of pothole road needs to be fixed or somehow a different route needs to be worked out.

1 Tonner this weekend is going to be a totally different kettle of fish.

I must say there were plenty of passengers in the E-F bunch yesterday. :ph34r: I worked my ass off only to get dropped at the 10km to go marker after covering a break. Then to add insult to injury racetec didn't capture my time even though I wore my chip. :wacko:  I need to get hold of the guy who finished with me in about 1:56:40ish he wore a Red Swiss Top. Anybody know who that was?

Edited by ThaStig

I must say there were plenty of passengers in the E-F bunch yesterday. :ph34r: I worked my ass off only to get dropped at the 10km to go marker after covering a break. Then to add insult to injury racetec didn't capture my time even though I wore my chip. :wacko:  I need to get hold of the guy who finished with me in about 1:56:40ish he wore a Red Swiss Top. Anybody know who that was?

Do you have a Strava link to your ride?

Or Garmin or GPS link?

I just sent them my file and they loaded that result onto my Racetec profile.

A bit chaotic collecting numbers... Only jumped off in P group but was a great experience coming from the back. Took us 1:57 thanks to some other late B and C riders.

Group of 5 worked like trojans a pleasure to ride with!

Looking forward to a longer one this weekend ;-)

Had a good time on this race, must say the work I had to do on my MTb with American Classic Wide Lightings ment that I had to work VERY hard to keep up, the only up part was the bumpy section, sat on the front of our group and just went for it - with the ever present wheel suckers behind me. Finished in 2:14 and happy with that.

The only negitive was when I go pushed off the road by a guy in front off me and then the idiot behind me had something to say about (f....ng mountain bikers that shouldn't be on the road when he almost ran into me) - after a gave him a few choice replies he realized the he was being an idiot and just kept away from. After that every one started to respect the pace I handled and some tried to keep up especially with the wind from the front. If all goes well then next year will be on a raod bike!!

Had a good time on this race, must say the work I had to do on my MTb with American Classic Wide Lightings ment that I had to work VERY hard to keep up, the only up part was the bumpy section, sat on the front of our group and just went for it - with the ever present wheel suckers behind me. Finished in 2:14 and happy with that.

The only negitive was when I go pushed off the road by a guy in front off me and then the idiot behind me had something to say about (f....ng mountain bikers that shouldn't be on the road when he almost ran into me) - after a gave him a few choice replies he realized the he was being an idiot and just kept away from. After that every one started to respect the pace I handled and some tried to keep up especially with the wind from the front. If all goes well then next year will be on a raod bike!!

Cacey,

The width of those 'bars does provide a risk in a bunch hey 

Elbows sticking out like Froomey when he goes full gas up a mountain 

:D

Cacey,

The width of those 'bars does provide a risk in a bunch hey 

Elbows sticking out like Froomey when he goes full gas up a mountain 

:D

Those broomstick handle bars are the end for me in a bunch :/

Problem with the mtbs is when the rider stops pedalling or sits up they have so much drag it's like deploying a parachute. They suddenly slow and all hell breaks loose behind while mountain biker is none the wiser.

It's a bit like the cliché scene from comedy's with the guy carrying a long pole and turns around to chat to his mates. When he gets going again he can't understand why everyone's laying flat on the ground