Flap Away Campaign in the cradle

Ants

The Aim of the Flap Away Campaign

Hundreds of cyclists in Gauteng join together to enjoy a ride to the Cradle of Human Kind every weekend. After a number of accidents involving the 574 Swareflex Lane Dividers situated on the D540 and D374, it is felt that safety is being compromised. The aim of the Flap Away Campaign is to gain as much support as possible to have these removed.

Why are the ‘flappers’… a problem?

While the initial intension was to improve safety for cyclists on this busy route it has fallen short of expectations. This has resulted in some nasty pile ups. Furthermore, limited space does not allow for two cyclists to ride abreast enabling them to stay within the cycling lane. A large number of the ‘flappers’ are broken and difficult to see.

What we need from you, the cyclist

We need your support in removing these hazards. Please click on the following Google link http://goo.gl/forms/ZCI4cFNJka and complete the survey. In order for the campaign to succeed, we need as much support as possible. Spread the word, share the information with club members and friends as well as ‘like’ and ‘share’ our Facebook page – ‘Flap Away’. Testimonials regarding incidents or accidents that have occurred will add impetus to our initiative. The campaign will also endeavour to gain the support and backing of the local media.

In order to have the necessary impact, this campaign needs to be finalised as soon as possible.

Further queries can be sent to Megan Thorpe at meganthorpe@netactive.co.za.

Together, let’s strive to make cycling safer in the Cradle!

I have always wondered which idiot in their right mind thought to place those flappers along the road in the first place. Can not comprehend what were they thinking at the time!

It would also be far better for them to cut back the vegetation on the verge of the road in certain places to protect lone, cyclists at quieter times.

Voted.

Found this interesting: "Your email address will never be displayed in public or released to third parties."

I saw something similar when I signed up to Ashley Madison......

Having attended to an accident where a motorbiker took a nice wide arc on the curve by Teak Place into the cycling lane and took out two cyclists, I think the flappers perform a useful task.

When they first arrived, I deliberately rode over one and found it was quite innocuous. Have hit many by accident including one at 60kmh in the tribars and despite the big fright, had no huge wobbly.

The likely reason why people have come down is more their own reaction to the impact, which is minimal if you are riding in a straight line.

If there is a better design then great, but I would rather the municipality repaired the broken ones than have nothing.

The sooner those hazards are removed, the better. They serve no purpose other than to increase the risk of a rider losing control, not to mention damage to wheels.

I have always wondered which idiot in their right mind thought to place those flappers along the road in the first place. Can not comprehend what were they thinking at the time!

It would also be far better for them to cut back the vegetation on the verge of the road in certain places to protect lone, cyclists at quieter times.

Please help the cause and complete the form at http://goo.gl/forms/ZCI4cFNJka, that would really help

have completed. Although not riding there anymore its about time they are removed.

Thank you for the support, please encourage your friends to get involved too

• 3 months later...

Saw that today, but rather than collecting the flaps that have been removed they have been discarded on the side of the road not far from where they were removed from!

Perhaps you can speak to whomever and get them collected and disposed of properly

I saw that the flaps had been removed, but the tar used to fill the holes is high enough to be an equal danger.

Think they level the tar once it dried.

It is a shame the flaps are left behind at the side of the road. Maybe it is a separate persons job to pick them up?

It is a shame the flaps are left behind at the side of the road. Maybe it is a separate persons job to pick them up?

"I paint roads. It's not my job to move trees....."

post-77414-0-54596400-1448877557_thumb.jpg