Shimano XT / SRAM 11 speed compatibility

linnega

I'm sure I'm missing it somewhere, but I haven't seen much written about mixing and matching Shimano and SRAM 11 speed incarnations except for the 11-42 discussion and hence questions around the cassette.

I currently have an XT crankset (triple with a 30T single chainring), and XX1 for the rest.  Have no reason to change the dérailleur and the trigger shifters were one of the revelations of my bike build this time last year.  The only minor issue I have is that the chainring is quite close to the crankarms so when there is a build up of chain gunk the chain plates push through the gunk.  Whether or not this causes any additional chainwear or degradation in performance I'm not sure, but I would prefer to keep the chain running clear if I could.  With Shimano now releasing a decent 1x11 option, I was considering replacing my XT crank with the new M8000 XT crank.  My concerns are:

- Is the M8000 crank and chainring compatible with SRAM 11 speed chain?  Not a big concern as I can just fit a Blackspire chainring with the correct BCD.

- Do i need a need bottom bracket?  I know there are new BB's but it sounds like these run different bearings.  If the diameter is the same, I wouldn't need a new BB?

I am planning to buy online and from the US as I am putting a 4iiii power meter on the crank and they need the crank shortly to do the glueing for me.

- Is the M8000 crank and chainring compatible with SRAM 11 speed chain?  Not a big concern as I can just fit a Blackspire chainring with the correct BCD.

The cranksets are compatible with the 11s chain from SRAM.

- Do i need a need bottom bracket?  I know there are new BB's but it sounds like these run different bearings.  If the diameter is the same, I wouldn't need a new BB?

Shimano crank shaft diameter is 24mm. This has not changed.

Same as what was said above, you will just need the crankset. No need to change anything else.