Another newbie needing mountain bike advice please!

Gunner88

Hi Guys

I hope you guys aren't sick of answering newbie posts by now, I would really appreciate some advice on a few topics. I have recently had a knee operation so all I can do(at a high level of effort) really is cycle at the moment.

If the bug bites I'll look at getting a higher quality bike but for the mean time I am looking for an entry level bike((29er) that is new. I know a second hand higher quality bike(26er) is often suggested but as I said if the bug bites I'll upgrade.

I'm going to be mainly riding on the wine farms around the Cape so nothing too hectic for now. I am looking at the following bikes: "Titan Ryde 29er 2016" or "Titan Cruz 29er 2015" or "Merida Big 9 20D" My price range is between R4000 to R6000. a few questions:

1) Any other suggestions of new bikes in that price range?

2) I am just over 100kg so would these bikes be alright?

3) Best/Most resonable bike shops in the Cape?

4) I'm 1.79m, what size frame would i need?

Thanks guys really appreciate the help

Edited by Gunner88

The hub is a great place to look for bikes and honestly, I would take a second hand well specked bike from the start than the same priced new lower specked bike.

First know what size fits you by going to the lbs and what type of riding (not familiar with the wine farms) you intend doing.

Search the classifieds in the hub for your price range and fit then go have a look at them and I am sure the seller will ket you ride it around a bit to get a feel for it

Keep cash aside for apparel like helmut, shorts, gloves, shoes and all that nice expensive stuff :-).

The hub is a great place to look for bikes and honestly, I would take a second hand well specked bike from the start than the same priced new lower specked bike.

First know what size fits you by going to the lbs and what type of riding (not familiar with the wine farms) you intend doing.

Search the classifieds in the hub for your price range and fit then go have a look at them and I am sure the seller will ket you ride it around a bit to get a feel for it

Keep cash aside for apparel like helmut, shorts, gloves, shoes and all that nice expensive stuff :-).

Thank you for the advice

Giant Revel or even a Talon also a consideration - Good strong bikes. But there is nothing wrong with what you already picked also

Not sure about 29er sizing but I am similar height and prefer a large. Tried mediums but always feel squashed

And I have a 135kg friend that rode a Titan - no problem. We fitted some 2.2 or bigger tyres (air volume for comfort) and he was more than comfy. Just make sure you got hydraulic disk brakes for your money.

Hi Guys

I hope you guys aren't sick of answering newbie posts by now, I would really appreciate some advice on a few topics. I have recently had a knee operation so all I can do(at a high level of effort) really is cycle at the moment.

If When the bug bites I'll look at getting a higher quality bike but for the mean time I am looking for an entry level bike((29er) that is new. I know a second hand higher quality bike(26er) is often suggested but as I said if the bug bites I'll upgrade.

I'm going to be mainly riding on the wine farms around the Cape so nothing too hectic for now. I am looking at the following bikes: "Titan Ryde 29er 2016" or "Titan Cruz 29er 2015" or "Merida Big 9 20D" My price range is between R4000 to R6000. a few questions:

1) Any other suggestions of new bikes in that price range?

2) I am just over 100kg so would these bikes be alright?

3) Best/Most resonable bike shops in the Cape?

4) I'm 1.79m, what size frame would i need?

Thanks guys really appreciate the help

Fixed your obvious newbie error.

:thumbup:  What he said.

I'm your height, and I'm very comfortable on my medium Silverback Sola 4 (also got it second hand).

Make sure you get hydraulic brakes. The other stuff is more or less generic/academic if you start out. A better specced 2nd hand will keep you longer, as it will be capable enough to handle your riding when you skill up. I bought a cheaper new bike, got irritated with it very quickly.

Something else to consider.... at that price range a better specced bike is always nicer to ride, mainly because the fork and the wheels make a huge difference and adding a few hundred rand to either of those at that level makes a huge difference. If you can stretch the budget and fit on this then it would take you a long way before having to upgrade

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/145399-merida-big-nine-tfs-900-d-alloy/

I actually have a friend that is selling all his stuff for R5500. That is helmet, hydration pack, shoes, bike carrier and a Scott Aspect 29". Only thing is he is up here in Gauteng.

:thumbup:  What he said.

I'm your height, and I'm very comfortable on my medium Silverback Sola 4 (also got it second hand).

Make sure you get hydraulic brakes. The other stuff is more or less generic/academic if you start out. A better specced 2nd hand will keep you longer, as it will be capable enough to handle your riding when you skill up. I bought a cheaper new bike, got irritated with it very quickly.

Hi Rickus,

I'm on the verge of purchasing a Silverback Sola 4 and was wondering what your thoughts were on the bike?

I actually have a friend that is selling all his stuff for R5500. That is helmet, hydration pack, shoes, bike carrier and a Scott Aspect 29". Only thing is he is up here in Gauteng.

Courier services is only R350 - 450

Hi

I'm also new to this website and also "kind of" new to mountain biking which I'm prudently interested in. I did not want to start a new thread so I thought it would be better if I post here. I'm willing to spend at most R4500 for a second hand(medium speced) bike or perhaps a new one. I've been reading about frame size and all the mtb nomenclature one needs to understand in the mtb world. My height is 168cm and my inseam is 81cm. Which frame size that fits me, as I also note that it might depend on individual preferences but I'm asking on a generic note. I have responded to one ad here on the hub, I hope I get a good response from the seller.

I'm not interested in entering competitions or being professional I just want a good specd bike for off road and mainly fitness purposes. Any help will be appreciated. I actually prefer adventure sports(going to gym is not my thing) and so getting an off road bike will be great. 

Thanks in advance

Hi

I'm also new to this website and also "kind of" new to mountain biking which I'm prudently interested in. I did not want to start a new thread so I thought it would be better if I post here. I'm willing to spend at most R4500 for a second hand(medium speced) bike or perhaps a new one. I've been reading about frame size and all the mtb nomenclature one needs to understand in the mtb world. My height is 168cm and my inseam is 81cm. Which frame size that fits me, as I also note that it might depend on individual preferences but I'm asking on a generic note. I have responded to one ad here on the hub, I hope I get a good response from the seller.

I'm not interested in entering competitions or being professional I just want a good specd bike for off road and mainly fitness purposes. Any help will be appreciated. I actually prefer adventure sports(going to gym is not my thing) and so getting an off road bike will be great. 

Thanks in advance

I'd probably still go for a medium frame. I'm 10cm taller than you, and actually a little tall for my medium frame (the seatpost is set to maximum length). I'm sure the seller will let you take the bike for a trundle around the block, it's about how comfortable you feel on it.

For R4500 you can get a decent 2nd hand bike. I really think the essentials should be hydraulic brakes, and 29" wheels. Normally a Silverback, Mongoose and Titan is well specced. You'll be lucky to get a Scott for that price. Stay away from Axis. And stay away from OLX. The Hub is safer.

• 1 month later...

Is he still looking at selling? I might really be interested. Do you have the contact details?