Klapperkop Safety - First Success

River Rat

beautiful.... we need more of this, I am at KK almost every day, and was held up at gun point a few years back. I think the Whatsapp group is a fab idea.....

Well done to all involved in taking back KK!!!

Hi River Rat.

I have been in contact with Trish, and will be going though to the Sunnyside SAPS today to add my case to the one already opened.

The guy that was arrested yesterday appears to be one of the 3 that robbed me at knife-point on 07 May, and I opened a case at the Sunnyside SAPS against him and his friends.

This will help in giving me some measure of closure, and help heal the wounds.

Hi River Rat.

I have been in contact with Trish, and will be going though to the Sunnyside SAPS today to add my case to the one already opened.

The guy that was arrested yesterday appears to be one of the 3 that robbed me at knife-point on 07 May, and I opened a case at the Sunnyside SAPS against him and his friends.

This will help in giving me some measure of closure, and help heal the wounds.

Hey Pezulu I'm really sorry that you had to go through that ordeal. I can only hope that this indeed the guy that was involved and that you reach some sort of closure. Trish also has another linked case and the description given matches this chap perfectly. When you go to the police station ask for Sergeant De Kock.and mention that you think your case is linked to yesterday's arrest.

Edited by River Rat

Well done River Rat on your arranging the action yesterday, the CPF guys are like a well-oiled machine to get back at the perps- hugely satisfying being present and watching the "take down" as well as knowing that the guy is off the streets.

After most of the CPF and volunteers left a family stopped at the same spot completely oblivious to the near miss danger they would have been in if the action and apprehension had not taken place, so in short the points to take away from this are:

1 Be vigilant and expect the worst at all times, do not trust any seemingly safe areas if you are alone. 

2 Help everyone by reporting even the smallest suspicious behaviour as this is where the CPF gets the info that leads to intervention- know there number or the number of the area you ride!

3 Look out for each other on the trails and get involved with group rides.

4 Ride the trails, as the more people using the area the safer is gets.

We can get the upper hand on this if we work together and all do a small part

Well Done RR! Getting that 1 scumbag behind bars will hopefully send out a message to his mates, that you guys are claiming back some cycling real estate. Safe Cycling.

I posted this to the Pta East MTB page on FB on 14 May.

I am one of the 2 people that was robbed last Thursday at Klapperkop.
Firstly, a big thank you to the riders that stopped to offer assistance. The guy with the Sondela MTB shirt, thanks for the loan of your cellphone to call the SAPS.
I had been to Klapperkop to take some photos of the low-flying aircraft taking off from Waterkloof, and was on my way back to the R21 when I decided to stop at the Telkom Tower parking area to get some photos of Wildebeest that were on the side of the road.
Another car pulled up, and the driver asked if I knew the direction back to Randburg, as he was from Cape Town, and his GPS had shown him that it was the shortest route.
At that time he decided to answer a call from nature, and moved over to the left, behind the dustbin. 
I was standing in the clearing looking over UNISA and the Telkom Tower, when I noticed 3 guys approaching at a run. When they were a few metres from us, they all produced home made knives that at that stage appeared to be small swords.
One of the robbers grabbed the other man, and 2 approached me. One grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, and pushed his knife against the back of my neck, and the other pressed his knife into my back, hard enough to draw blood and leave a small scar.
The robbers proceeded to drag us into the bushes, away from the road, calling for "cellphone, wallet and money."

At that stage I was under the impression that they were dragging us into the bushes with the intent of doing us bodily harm, or possibly stabbing us to death.
I handed my cellphone and (empty) wallet to one of the robbers, while one of the robbers took the car keys from the other man, and went up to his vehicle, and removed a laptop bag, and a bag of groceries.
In all, the incident probably took less than 2-3 minutes, but if felt much longer.
The robbers ran down the mountain in the direction of George Storrar.
Our losses were 1 x Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 1 x Citizen watch, 1 x Tag Heuer watch, 2 x wallets containing about R1500-00 in cash, as well as the car keys to a BMW X5.
One of the robbers at least was a local, as he spoke Afrikaans, and said "Ons wil julle nie doodmaak nie" while the other 2 spoke English.
According to the Sunnyside SAPS that were on the scene within a few minutes, the robbers were the same men that attacked an elderly couple in Groenkloof the day before, according to the clothing description. There is also the possibility that they have a lookout that works with them, in the form of a jogger that runs from about the parking area where the robbery took place, to the next parking area where the Burry Stander cross was.

Once more, a bit thank you to the cyclists that gave assistance, and take care when cycling.

A big thank you to RR, the guys from SAPS Sunnyside, and members of the CPF, that resulted in 1 suspect being apprehended so far.
Hopefully the others will get what is coming to them as well.

Edited by pezulu