Review: Camelbak Volt LR Hydration Pack

Iwan Kemp

Camelbak’s Charge was one of the manufacturers most popular bike packs when first introduced. It featured a unique low mounted reservoir, which centred the water weight over a rider’s hips. The Charge was adapted from Camelbak’s adventure/trekking line to include bike features, but was fairly compact with a 2lt reservoir and 8lt cargo space. Its popularity prompted Camelbak to design the Volt LR, which adds both extra cargo and water capacity making it all-day friendly.

Click here to view the article

I have owned a pack in this range for 8 months, which I bought to alleviate back pressure (I have a stuffed back / fusion).

I can recommend the pack, as it really DOES shift the weight to your hips and off your back.

It sits nice and snug and never shifts or sloshes around.

The pack has held up to use and abuse, and works as a half-decent back protector in wipeouts.

Only downside is that the hip pockets are hard to open and close while riding/racing and have got progressively harder to access. Whether this is due to design, abuse or simply wear and tear is hard to determine.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Nice bag, as long  as the etro clip (sternum strap rail adjuster) does not pop off and break or get lost. I've been waiting for a replacement for 6 months. LBS sent photos and all to Camelbak agent in CT. They sent the wrong thing twice, including complete strap slider (older design). Now they don't seem to be able to get a replacement at all. So, based on after-sales service, I would avoid Camelbak in SA.

That's quite strange as one of the main reasons I just about always opt for Camelbak (apart from the features) is the fact that it's available EVERYWHERE and replacement bits are easy to get hold of. 

I have emailed your comment to the local agents to try and help sort you out.

That's quite strange as one of the main reasons I just about always opt for Camelbak (apart from the features) is the fact that it's available EVERYWHERE and replacement bits are easy to get hold of. 

I have emailed your comment to the local agents to try and help sort you out.

Thanks Iwan. The agents, Cape Cycle, responded quickly to your email and are replacing the part, which I had expected to pay for, free of charge.

So, I was certainly wrong in my previous comment about avoiding Camelback in SA based on service.

Thanks Iwan. The agents, Cape Cycle, responded quickly to your email and are replacing the part, which I had expected to pay for, free of charge.

So, I was certainly wrong in my previous comment about avoiding Camelback in SA based on service.

Great news!