Groenkloof, Klapperkop and Fountains Attacks - Info Required

River Rat

@Pezulu, An update on your attacker. The guy apprehended has been linked to 28 different crimes and the Investigating Officer Lt Maloney is trying to coordinate the best time for a identity parade to get as many people there as possible. I guess we will have to be patient and be grateful that he is still being detained.

When last was there an incident in Groenies, keen to go ride there again, but a bit wary...

A lady and her kids attacked about 2 weeks ago is the most recent incident I know about.

From FaceBook today:

WARNING WARNING WARNING. Share as wide as you can. Please do NOT go to Fort Klapperkop for any site seeing or to look at the lights or to be alone with your friend or for any reason. This goes for day and night visits. This is a very dangerous area and people get attacked, beaten, raped and stabbed. You are not safe there. Another couple attacked tonight 22/08/2015 and stabbed. Male very serious condition. A friend of mine and her children were attacked there on a Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago. Multiple bikers and runners attacked. No view, lights or alone time is worth the trauma or your life.

Edited by pezulu

I'll try and given input as to the safety situation in the three nature reserves.

Starting with Klapperkop generally safe  if you use it in peak times which are 06:30 - 8:00 am and 16:30 - 18:00 weekdays, 07:00 -10:00 on weekends. Any other time can be safe if you ride when others use it and the Fort Klapperkop Cycling & Running Whatsapp Group is your best place to find out if others are riding or running there.

Groenkloof can be safe if you avoid the northern part of the park i.e the triangle of land bordering the R21 and Fountains. There used to be security guards monitoring the fence but I haven't seen any guards for at least a month. Recent attacks have occurred at the viewpoint in the triangle and it has been on hikers.

Voortrekker is hugely problematic around Fort Skanskop we suspect that the assailants for all three areas operate out of the squatter camp below Unisa.

As for Fountains I would not recommend using this unless there are at least three or more of you.

Please guys this is my synopsis based on what I have heard from people monitoring the area and as we have seen at Klapperkop it can and will change. Please be cautious and use your own judgement.

1 hr · 

Yet another attack at Ford Klapperkop last night 23/08/2015.

We were contacted by the victims friends with regards to the attack via Facebook.

Same look out point different suspects. These suspects were young and possibly round 18 years of age. They seem to becoming more violent. Please stay away from this area at night. Send this information to all your friends so that every one is aware of what is happening here