Review: Onza Ibex tires

Iwan Kemp

Onza has been around for longer than most will know, having started life in the late 80's producing tires, headsets, bar ends and other bits. For whatever reason (it was before my time) they disappeared from the scene until the mid 2000's when a Swiss-based company decided to revive the name.

Click here to view the article

I have that setup ibex 2.4 infront and the canis 2.2 at the back. It is exactly like the said about rolling resistance. I find them to rather sluggish compared to various conti brands. The grip offered coming down is good. Just make sure you running them at higher pressures than you used to.

Thanks for the review Iwan, had the Ibex on my mind for a while, glad I found this... one question; were you able to test it on some dry, loose-over-hardpack? The 55a almost says it will offer grip in this condition but would be good to hear the real world verdict.

Slightly strayed from the tyre tested, does anyone have experience with 60tpi? Looking for a strong sidewall that can handle hard cornering.

Thanks for the review Iwan, had the Ibex on my mind for a while, glad I found this... one question; were you able to test it on some dry, loose-over-hardpack? The 55a almost says it will offer grip in this condition but would be good to hear the real world verdict.

Yes, I did. Offers good grip and I liked it better than Hans Dampf in those conditions. Better grip, more predictable.

Slightly strayed from the tyre tested, does anyone have experience with 60tpi? Looking for a strong sidewall that can handle hard cornering.

Wouldn't ANY road tire work seeing as you guys are riding tar out that side these days?  :ph34r:

Deon, yes - I ran that combo (the Ibex / Canis) on the hardtail for a bit, and it provided VERY good grip on loose over hard (coetzenburg has places with that sort of surface) as well as various other surfaces that Coetzenburg has to offer. 

I was running my 150mm fork at the front and never once did I feel as if I needed more grip, and I was on (my) ragged edge most of the time... 

So, same ballpark weight, Tpi, and dimensions as the 2015 Nobby Nick.

Have you tried the new NN? a comparison would be interesting.

Not yet, but to be honest the new NN would need to take a MAJOR step forward to compete with the Ibex. To me seeing a NN on a bike with more travel than 120mm is a borderline disaster as it's almost always the first piece of kit on such a bike that runs out of talent.

Yes, I did. Offers good grip and I liked it better than Hans Dampf in those conditions. Better grip, more predictable.

Wouldn't ANY road tire work seeing as you guys are riding tar out that side these days?  :ph34r:

Agreed, and OUCH. 

Iwan, I haven't tried the Ibex, but the new Nobby Nic is so much better than the 2014 version. It feels like a completely different tyre, almost like a Magic Mary lite. Rolling resistance isn't bad, lots of grip in the corners (as opposed to the illusion of grip in the 2014), the casing in snakeskin feels much more sturdy and will allow much lower pressures before caving. Wear still sucks but it's Schwalbe so you knew that already.

I have the 2.35 upfront and 2.25 in the back, but will probably be trying the rock razor on the rear next. Give the new version a try.

I had the the Ibex up front and I am currently running the 2015 NN.

Cornering wise, the Ibex takes it. The NN is not bad in corners, but the Ibex is just that much better. 

Rolling resistance seems pretty much the same between the two, but I have to agree with North Shore, the casing on the NN does feel more sturdy when carving hard at lower pressures. I found I had to run run the Ibex at higher pressures than the NN, but even then I felt the Ibex corners better. 

I guess its up to personal preference though. 

Iwan, I haven't tried the Ibex, but the new Nobby Nic is so much better than the 2014 version. It feels like a completely different tyre, almost like a Magic Mary lite. Rolling resistance isn't bad, lots of grip in the corners (as opposed to the illusion of grip in the 2014), the casing in snakeskin feels much more sturdy and will allow much lower pressures before caving. Wear still sucks but it's Schwalbe so you knew that already.

I have the 2.35 upfront and 2.25 in the back, but will probably be trying the rock razor on the rear next. Give the new version a try.

That's kinda what Schwalbe said when they launched it, and had that Q&A session on Pinkbike - that the NN was grippier and yet faster rolling than the HD. 

That's a rather bold statement. I know its been re-imagined and there have been several reviews. But I've only read reviews when used as a rear tyre. I'd like to know which bike and the kind of terrain. Also just how much you misbehave with it on the trail.

I had the the Ibex up front and I am currently running the 2015 NN.

Cornering wise, the Ibex takes it. The NN is not bad in corners, but the Ibex is just that much better. 

Rolling resistance seems pretty much the same between the two, but I have to agree with North Shore, the casing on the NN does feel more sturdy when carving hard at lower pressures. I found I had to run run the Ibex at higher pressures than the NN, but even then I felt the Ibex corners better. 

I guess its up to personal preference though. 

On the rolling bit: I am a wide rim convert and can run super low pressures without having to worry about tires rolling on their sidewalls - withing reason of course. I have heard great things about the new NN and would love to give it a go. 

The Ibex is by no means draggy or terribly slow. In actual fact, it's on par for what it is. Should maybe update the review with that.

That's a rather bold statement. I know its been re-imagined and there have been several reviews. But I've only read reviews when used as a rear tyre. I'd like to know which bike and the kind of terrain. Also just how much you misbehave with it on the trail.

I have that setup on a 140mm 26" Stumpjumper FSR and on a 2014 29" Stumpjumper EVO. I ride at Groenkloof in the week, Van Gaalens, Vori-berg, Redstone and Mankele on weekends and when I'm in Cape Town Tokai (not anymore) and Jonkershoek (was there two weeks ago).

I ride pretty aggressively, not with that much finesse and I jump everything I can. I ride the black/DH trails on this setup at all the above mentioned parks.