Put 650b wheels on 26inch bike

Johno

I know its probably been asked before, but can 650b wheels be fitted to a 26inch bike and is it worth the effort to convert. Constructive thoughts and comments invited.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on your bike and issues such as frame and fork clearance.

You're rear triangle will need to be able to accommodate the larger wheel and if it is a dual-susser, the new wheel will need to clear through the entire movement of travel. The fork will also need to accommodate the larger wheel. Most often you would need to get a 650B specific fork. 

You'll also need to consider how you'll be affecting the bike's geo.

Ok so from what i gather you recon its best to just have a set of wheels fitted and see if it works? Is it worth the expense to convert though. Rather just stick to the 26in wheels.

i changed my 26 Cannondale Tuarine to a 650b setup.  

wheels and lower ends were changed on my fork. works like a bomb.

so yes can be done and works..  just check frame compatiblity.

explain?

• Geometry changes.
  • Clearance - even if it fits, there's never a lot of room in the rear.

There was a woman riding with us in Montagu a few weeks ago, and we went through a very muddy section.  Her wheel locked solid because of lack of clearance, but all regular 26ers and 29ers were fine.

• Cost - put the price of a new wheel set, plus the cost of fork lowers plus what you can sell your bike for together and you may as well just get the right bike to start with...

• Geometry changes.
  • Clearance - even if it fits, there's never a lot of room in the rear.

There was a woman riding with us in Montagu a few weeks ago, and we went through a very muddy section.  Her wheel locked solid because of lack of clearance, but all regular 26ers and 29ers were fine.

• Cost - put the price of a new wheel set, plus the cost of fork lowers plus what you can sell your bike for together and you may as well just get the right bike to start with...

noted.

mud and lock up - could be addressed by tyre selection and riding style

geometry has a slight change, nothing to drastic though. where as 26 to 29 has a huge change.

Cost - well that is a factor each will have to look at

ultimately - each to his own

The reason for the pic is that its an awesome bike so not worth selling but was looking into the upgrade.

The reason for the pic is that its an awesome bike so not worth selling but was looking into the upgrade.

I don't think there will be enough clearance there on that rear triangle if it's anything like my Sanction was