Preview: 2016 Momsen Vipa Trail featuring 27.5+ compatability

Matt

At their recent dealer launch event, we spotted the latest iteration of the Momsen VIPA Trail. Scheduled for launch in the second quarter of 2016, the Trail version will provide a longer travel option to the VIPA lineup with a "mild" and a "wild" build option.

Click here to view the article

Those tyres are very very close to the frame and fork.

A slight buckle and you could have a problem.

ccs-2-0-41834900-1439551212.jpg

ccs-2-0-59036200-1439551195.jpg

The pics do exaggerate the tightness a bit - particularly that shot of the fork. In reality there is a bit more clearance, but yes with a bit of a wobble there could be contact and some issues.

all this talk about 27.5+ being the same height as a 29er wheel, one forgets that are substantially wider.

serious buyers will run 29" tyres I reckon.

If the tyres in the photos are 2.8", you probably wouldn't be able to fit a 3.0" tyre in there, considering the already tight clearance. 

Bikes that are designed around the 27.5+ concept can often accommodate tyres up to 3.2" - 3.4". 

So, if you're interested in running this bike in 27.5+ guise, you'll probably be limited to tyres less than 3.0" or plus tyres that were designed to fit into 29er frames on 27.5" rims, such as the WTB Trailblazer. 

Correction: The fork pictured here is a stock standard Rockshox Pike, not the Boost version.

That has a 100mm x 15mm wide lower assembly. The bikes will come with the new BOOST version of any fork they spec. That gives 110mm x 15mm wide lowers – this means a totally different lower leg assembly and ample clearance. 

Correction: The fork pictured here is a stock standard Rockshox Pike, not the Boost version.

That has a 100mm x 15mm wide lower assembly. The bikes will come with the new BOOST version of any fork they spec. That gives 110mm x 15mm wide lowers – this means a totally different lower leg assembly and ample clearance. 

What's the max rear clearance?

Edited by Odinson

What's the max rear clearance?

It'll be good for a 2.8" on the 52mm Stan's Hugo rim. 

Quite a few industry players saying 2.8" is the sweet spot for what they're aiming the bikes for. NOT mini fatbikes, but plus size regulars.

Fox and RockShox clearance for 27.5" plus tires are around 3.2"

all this talk about 27.5+ being the same height as a 29er wheel, one forgets that are substantially wider.

serious buyers will run 29" tyres I reckon.

Correct, but will be cool to have the option of racing 29er wheels then slap some fatties on to huck some trails. All on the same bike!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Is this bike ever going to launch? It's been nearly a year since this post and the news on it is non existent.