World Champs

rock

I see David George had a sterling ride today - 39th or something - a mere 2 seconds behind Bettini.

Awesome season for him eh ? Langkawi win, Commonwealth medal, SA TT Champ, medal in RR, Pro contract with Relax, finishing a Grand Tour and now best SA rider at worlds in both TT and RR.....Clap

Bettini won followed by Zabel, Valverde and Boonen got 9th, Vino 15 seconds back in 52nd and Hunter 95th 6:19 minutes back.

slightly OT - I see Ciolek won the U23's, wasn't the rule a little while back that you could only race U23 world champs if you raced only U23 events, not elite races, I remember Ryan Cox being under 23 but riding for Team Cologne and hence racing elite races so he had to race elite world champs ??

It's quite funny because a friend of mine said to Darren Lill "I think what you should do in the Worlds it take Bettini's wheel"

...Darren replied "Bettini will have to take my wheel"

Well, Bettini won. I was watching (reading) the live coverage today and every second line read "so and so attacks!" so the racing was mighty intense. The second last lap was raced at 47km/h, after 210km of racing!

Well done guys, to get one of our riders in the top 50 is great, especially looking at the quality of the field...!

Darren, Darren, Darren,

when will South Africans quit the kneejerk (jerk) reaction of "so and so must take MY lead",  it is so childish.  It is especially DOFF when you are not even in the top order.......

Humility costs less than arrogance, and you look less STUPID afterwards.

I think the U23 rules applies if you ride for A Pro Contential Team only......

Which was the case with Ryan, maybe.....

Contential (as KM) and lower do not apply.

I could be mistaken though, as rules change so fast.

Saw the sprint on RAI... awesome stuff.
pedal2006-09-25 08:20:45

Those were the old rules. These days Pro Continental riders are allowed to race u23 world champs as well, which is really crazy and stupid.

That means any u23 riders in Barloworld etc may still do the u23 world champs, like Ciolek. His team is ProConti.

ja, thoughts so......whole point of U23 cat was a bridge between amateur and pro's??...now you're effectively strong pro's (albeit not a protour team member) racing amateurs in the U23 class....

The South Africans rode like stars, well one of them at least.

David has had an excellent year. Perhaps he will be our only rider in the Pro Tour next year. I here Hunter may be going to race in the states.