ScottCM

So entries are opening in less than two weeks for next years event.

September entries for locals R380 and from October R420

Are there any newbies contemplating doing the down run?
Are there any experienced runners who can help the novices out with trying to balance riding and running training without loosing your family?

Edited by ScottC-M

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So entries are opening in less than two weeks for next years event.

September entries for locals R380 and from October R420

Are there any newbies contemplating doing the down run?
Are there any experienced runners who can help the novices out with trying to balance riding and running training without loosing your family?

the man or women who can do this successfully deserves a medal

I'll be doing my first down run

Edited by Stretch

I am seriously considering doing my first next year, I want that medal and shirt badly. I did the 2 Oceans this year and really enjoyed it, so looking to maybe do both next year. My kniee en ITBs raak sommer seer as ek daaraan dink!

In the same boat - been threatening for years, think now is the time.

Been focusing more on running since June - great return on time investment with the family.

I have integrated riding, swimming, trail running ect into my program to better prepare the body and beat the boredom of mindless miles. 

The route goes through the town I grew up in - some great memories of watching the race as a kid.

Need to do it at some point I guess!

I have never run anything further than 10km but have always desired to run the comrades. Since last year December i have been building up my runs slowly and will be doing my first half marathon in November. Plan is to qualify early next year. As i know its not ideal my main goal is just to finish the race in the allotted time frame. The following year will be dedicated to a specific time goal.

I am seriously battling with juggling the training though. As i have the Dome2Dome and 947 as definite riding goal this year still , combined with a possible Germiston 5150 Tri in between those i am doing sufferfest video training during the week and 10km runs on Saturday and Sunday. Will increase this mileage as time goes by and i get stronger.

Think after the 947 i will take it easy on the bike races till Comrades is done at least(If i enter and qualify)

How do you guys do it?

Running for ages.I have done 10 Comrades several Loskop, Om die Dam and Two Oceans and 100km races as well as cycle since 2003. 11 94.7 and Argus many other fun races

Run on Mondays and Wednesdays during week cycle Tuesday and Thursday . On Saturday morning do your long run if not racing the Sunday thereafter get on your bike for your LSD. It works

If you race on Sundays then cycle for 50km only on Saturday and run 10-15km on Sunday after your race.

Mondays rest day.

Depending on your race build up you will stop the one code for few days and concentrate on the build up of other .

Not a fast runner at all Best Comrades 8H54min.

Argus and 94.7 best times 3H12min.

In my group of bandits I have some who have achieved the following:

Comrades 8H35  and a 2H40 94.7

Comrades 8H46 and 94.7 of 2H50

a unique 8H59m58s Comrades and a 2H59m47S 94.7

The mind and body is a wonderful tool if used correctly

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT please get the buy in of your spouse on the training regime and the  

amount of crap they have to put up with once the bug has bitten.

Enjoy

Not a fast runner at all Best Comrades 8H54min.

you have just deflated my balloon.....I was VERY pleased with my 8:58 this year! lol

Edited by Stretch

I have never run anything further than 10km but have always desired to run the comrades. Since last year December i have been building up my runs slowly and will be doing my first half marathon in November. 

dont be scared..I ran my first ever 21 last year november...my first ever 42 this year Feb and made it through to may...barring a very frustrating impact injury on my left foot that is still lingering...so take it slowly and do at least one track session on grass a week to lessen the impact on your body

as a kid growing up comrades fever got the race etched into my dna. Fond memories of the milo adverts making us run around the house in support whilst fordyce was smashing the field.

In my mind I thought I'd tackle it once in my 30's, halfway through the decade now and with other things happening it's still on page 2 of the bucketlist. it will always be there, will one day do it. When i did freedom challenge, it was still co-ordinated with comrades as leg1 of the FC Xtreme. so I sat on the plane to durbs full of comrades runners the vibe was electric - that's as close I've come!

Personally I feel that starting off with a good riding history is very beneficial for the follow reasons :

The low impact has prob made your muscle system stronger - thus minimizing your risk of injury - compared to a non athlete.

You already have the `motor` and fitness base so its easier to start building a run base.

You know what its like to suffer, and how far you can push yourself.

Your spouse will think it is fantastic that you are home more - running vs cycling training times.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to do Comrades 2016 but not sure I have the miles under my belt. I've always said that if I do it I'd like to go for a Bill Rowan (so kudos to you sub-niners!). If I'm doing 40km a week now, can I build up in time for 2016 to manage a steady sub-nine?

I'd like to do Comrades 2016 but not sure I have the miles under my belt. I've always said that if I do it I'd like to go for a Bill Rowan (so kudos to you sub-niners!). If I'm doing 40km a week now, can I build up in time for 2016 to manage a steady sub-nine?

Dude... I started running august last year....i was running about 25 ks per week this time last year... Ran my first ever 21 in November... And I managed that sub 9. Most definitely time.

I am currently running only once a week due to injury... So going to be slowly building up to 70 a week by the end of the year... Get fit this year and then hit 200 to 300 km weeks in the new year and you will do it if you can manage a 3:30 to 3:40 marathon