ScottCM

You are discriminating against those of us that don't drink coffee?!

I'm sure we can organize you a rooibos tea.  :whistling:  :ph34r: 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure we can organize you a rooibos tea.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Don't worry. Won't be in Natal this year. But will cheer for everybody from the hub running Comrades.

No it's mostly in my head..... based on a life time of observing winning endurance runners with calves smaller than my biceps.... which are pretty small.

but there have been some studies in that direction, read one not to long ago but for the life of me cannot find it

I have seen a pic on twitter - I think from SSISA(?) - quite a while ago. They pictures the typical Kenyan-runner-type (read top endurance runner) calve vs "normal" calve from rear view. Almost non-existent! 

Which spells out bad things for me, because my calves are actually my one "properly developed" area. Who cares, they work well enough for me!  :whistling:

I have seen a pic on twitter - I think from SSISA(?) - quite a while ago. They pictures the typical Kenyan-runner-type (read top endurance runner) calve vs "normal" calve from rear view. Almost non-existent! 

Which spells out bad things for me, because my calves are actually my one "properly developed" area. Who cares, they work well enough for me!  :whistling:

With bigger calves you can give a better ass kicking - literally speaking only.

In Lore of Running where Tim Noakes shares the reason for Bruce Fordyce's success, he says he believe why many marathon runners struggle at comrades is because their legs are to thin. Bruce also mentioned this in The Marathon Runner's Handbook where he specifically pointed to previous winners such as Wally Hayward who had massive calves...

I'm getting bitten stukkend by mozzies... Never had a problem in the six years I've been coming here... But jurre... I'll be mad if i get malaria!!

They do spray the grounds though

I dont like the up runs. I am a much faster downhill runner. I did run my first Bill Rowan on the up run. But being away from the comrades scene such a long time, I will be happy to just finish below 9h. I actually enjoy my running again.

You're on form.. You'll do it easily

If anyone ha a cure please help (I know there is no cure)

I have that boomerang cold, the one that goes away and comes back  the day after you start running making you feel flat.

Should I push through as long as its not in the neck and chest or park off for another week?

If anyone ha a cure please help (I know there is no cure)

I have that boomerang cold, the one that goes away and comes back  the day after you start running making you feel flat.

Should I push through as long as its not in the neck and chest or park off for another week?

If it is not going away thru self-medication then maybe antibiotics is the only option. It will set you back a week but at least it gets sorted.

With bigger calves you can give a better ass kicking - literally speaking only.

In Lore of Running where Tim Noakes shares the reason for Bruce Fordyce's success, he says he believe why many marathon runners struggle at comrades is because their legs are to thin. Bruce also mentioned this in The Marathon Runner's Handbook where he specifically pointed to previous winners such as Wally Hayward who had massive calves...

"Het jy al ooit ñ resies perd met kuite gesien?" Is my reaponse when people refer to my "calves". But I read somewhere that bigger calves are just oxygen theives wrt long distance races. Cant remember if it was in a zine or a book.

Anyone see / hear Paula Radcliffe eat humble pie commentating on the ladies race at London marafun?

What a wench, came across very unprofessiona hoping that Mary Keitany would not be able to maintain her record breaking pace.

Not a fan of her since her comments on Caster:

"When we talk about it in terms of (to) fully expect no other result than Caster Semenya to win that 800m then it’s no longer sport and it’s no longer an open race,” said Radcliffe."

What did she say this time?

I'm of Scottish descent. My calves are built more for wading through bogs than running 88km.

Not a fan of her since her comments on Caster:

"When we talk about it in terms of (to) fully expect no other result than Caster Semenya to win that 800m then it’s no longer sport and it’s no longer an open race,” said Radcliffe."

What did she say this time?

When the Kenyan lady Keitany broke away still quite earlier in the race she was running at record breaking pace like doing Mile splits under 5 minutes and the male commentator was saying that she will probably blow or slow down drastically towards the end... Radcliffe on more than one occasion said she hopes so (blows or slows down) .... obvisouly Radcliffe being the record holder might feel like that but to keep on saying that while commentating live on tv is just plain nasty and unprofessional.

Anyway the Kenyan managed to hold on and broke Radcliffe's record for the London marafun

Does anyone know the total accent for the Cradle 21km tomorrow? I have checked on their website but it only has a route profile.