ScottCM

I got me and the Wife the Ultimate Direction AK3.0 and Ultra Vesta vests. Best purchases ever.
​It was a tough call between the Salomon vests and UD but after seeing how strange some of the Salomon packs looked when fully loaded and bulging around the hips, I preferred the UD vests and the fact they fit high on the back.

https://ultimatedirection.com/ak-mountain-vest-3-0/

https://ultimatedirection.com/ultra-vesta/

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Ultra 4... recently got myself the Salomon 12l vest. Not even comparable ito comfort.  At the time I bought, the Ultra4 was a lot cheaper, than a) currently and b) the Salomon options. Therefore a very valid buy to get my foot in the door. From the Ultra 10 price point there's not that big a jump to the Salomon. Just saying...  :ph34r:

Oh, and I don't know which phone you have. But it needs to be tiny to go into that phone pouch. Mine fell out numerous times - simply because I tend to snap everything I run past and do not want to put the phone in the rear pockets.

Thanks for the response. I'm looking at the smaller packs than what you have though. The Camelbak Ultra Pro costs R1800 and the equivalent Salomon Advance Skin 5 Set costs R3000. I'm sure it is much more comfortable but not sure I can justify the extra cost.

Who has run the City 2 City 50k? Nice route / race? I see its a qualifier as well.

Wasn't this race cancelled last year? I think it is also the race where they always run out of water... but I could be mistaken. 

Wasn't this race cancelled last year? I think it is also the race where they always run out of water... but I could be mistaken. 

Yes, I heard the same thing, thats why I wanted to check 

I've gone and got bladdy sick... Proper chest infection. :cursing:  :cursing:

Seem to have broken the fever and the sore all over feeling, but still have a raspy voice with a phlegm filled, hoarse cough!

If I didn't have the cough, I could go sing karaoke and cover Anastacia songs like a boss!

Fit some extra training in for me please someone... :thumbup:

If I remember the route correctly, its on fairly busy roads, and I think it will become more difficult to host in the future with all the traffic congestion

Finished Rhodes Trail Run on Saturday.  Mavis Bank was steep.  Yes everyone tells you about Mavis, and how uphill she is and how tough she is and so on and so forth.  However, what is often left out is a few other uniquely Rhodes things, like the three river crossings, the "cattle track"and wild rose bushes and the camber all before Mavis (at 23km).  So by the time you get to Mavis bank, you are softened and shredded properly.  Mavis bank (2500-2600meter above sea level) also takes your breath away (ie there is no oxygen up here).  After that there is still another 28 km odd to run.  Yes there is some gravel road (always uphill) until Tiffendals, then about 6km of rolling lawn (Lesotho style) cattle trodden grass clumps, twisting your ankles forcing you to walk or use poles to stay upright.  A sigh of relief, gravel road and 15km downhill to home.  Downhill.  F%$^#@, concrete cliffs to slip, slide and trip on for 6km.  Even a landy would not ride this on a good day.  Next year I bring a couple of beer boxes and slide down rather.  Last 8km a running pleasure, pity the knees were totally wrecked by that concrete road.

And we were lucky as the snow is coming a week late.  Champagne weather.  (ps not really as all those bushes were full of green shoots which made them grab and claw at you as you ran past, over and through them).

I've gone and got bladdy sick... Proper chest infection. :cursing:  :cursing:

Seem to have broken the fever and the sore all over feeling, but still have a raspy voice with a phlegm filled, hoarse cough!

If I didn't have the cough, I could go sing karaoke and cover Anastacia songs like a boss!

Fit some extra training in for me please someone... :thumbup:

****! My biggest fear at this moment. I'm overdosing on fruit and veg all day long.

Sounds like you have enough going there for a couple of us at least :/ good luck!

Can anyone suggest a flatish 21 km for a first time 21km runner please? I live in Centurion and run on the road.

Can anyone suggest a flatish 21 km for a first time 21km runner please? I live in Centurion and run on the road.

When are you looking at running the 12k?

The one at Zwartkop Lapa (think its the last weekend July), is a nice and easy route

How soon do you want to run your first HM?

In November there is a HM in Alberton and its very flat. 

PS: Congrats on making the decision and best of luck with your training! :thumbup: