ScottCM

For those of you who have sorted out ITB issues, how did you manage it? Mine's been an issue for months now

Biokineticist sorted me out... she did a basic analysis session to ascertain my various running muscle strengths/weaknesses - found quite a few weaknesses and imbalances: my quads were stronger than my hamstrings, my right leg stronger than my left (from squash) and my glutes and stabilisers relatively weak (a common issues for cyclists).

I had a few focused sessions with her, then she sent me off with a program for maintenance - If I do the exercises I'm usually golden, if I don't for a couple weeks/months, things start to catch up with me... I also stretch my ITB religiously, even during longer events if i feel it tightening up.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news is those little shin splints I had are gone. Definitely a result of doing 50km in a week in non support racing shoes when all I wear is support shoes.... Gonna ease them in a little slower now.

Did a 15 miler this weekend.. Was tempo pace but I was pretty tired at the end. That's with no water or anything though so I'm not too bothered.

One funny thing here is that back in SA I world run past at least 6 or 7 petrol stations on my long route and be able to stop for a drink along the way. Here...I run past one and it's after 2 km! And there's no outside tap!... So I just run with no water .I guess it's not bad training

Regarding water... 2 words.... kidney stones

amongst other more serious issues

Time to invest in a running belt with water bottles or one of those running camelbacs

It’s a schlep in the beginning but you get used to it quickly. Here we have lots of water options other than garages but the problem is as soon as you go off-road or into the “country side” they become few and far between AND THEN in the winter months they get turned off anyway...

Regarding water... 2 words.... kidney stones

amongst other more serious issues

Time to invest in a running belt with water bottles or one of those running camelbacs

It’s a schlep in the beginning but you get used to it quickly. Here we have lots of water options other than garages but the problem is as soon as you go off-road or into the “country side” they become few and far between AND THEN in the winter months they get turned off anyway...

Never thought about kidney stones. I'm never parched though..and post run a glass will do fine. Ordinarily in SA I would stop twice for a drink on a 25-30km run... So maybe you are right though...a little running belt might be in order to bring along a bottle. Can't stand holding bottles so maybe that is an option

Never thought about kidney stones. I'm never parched though..and post run a glass will do fine. Ordinarily in SA I would stop twice for a drink on a 25-30km run... So maybe you are right though...a little running belt might be in order to bring along a bottle. Can't stand holding bottles so maybe that is an option

A Comrades gold medalist who I went to for coaching many years ago put the fear of kidney stones into us by telling us how he suffered with them as a direct result of not drinking enough during training....

I find the belts which allow you to carry more than 1 small bottle better, the ones for big bottles flop around to much for my liking

I haven't given up on sorting my ITB issues out. I know that I am able to run with it provided that I prepare my legs for what it will go through. As far as fearing that it will return during a run, I don't allow it to bother me. I may think about it but I also think positive thoughts and how much further I can go before I need to stop. Fortunately, it's been a while since that has happened.

How was everyone's running weekend?

I saw a few of you did wanderers, how was is?

I had good 10km, my last one before I attempt a HM in November. 52:54 (mat to mat time) for 9.91km means I was about 20s below my PB for the 10Km distance (53:33).

Need to introduce some more hills into my runs. These last two events have been a tad more undulating than what I’m used to.

My knee was in agony today but I noticed it got worse the less I moved. So I went out for a very slow walk, jog, walk 4km and it feels one hell of a lot better. I've realised that sitting down is exacerbating the problem so I'm trying the whole "move alert" thing on my watch. Fingers crossed as, with a few weeks of base building behind me, focused SkyRun training starts this week.

For those of you who have sorted out ITB issues, how did you manage it? Mine's been an issue for months now

ITB is such a difficult thing to manage. I got ITB issues this year about 1 1/2 months before Comrades. I can suggest:

1) Make sure shoes are correct

2) REST!!! 

3) Do plenty of stretches (Dont foam roll your ITB directly, foam roll glutes/quads/calves)

4) Work on core strength and imbalances in your core (Side clamshell raises, pelvic thrusts etc)

5) Dry Needling to ITB (Hurts and not comfortable but This really helped me get back on track)

ITB is such a difficult thing to manage. I got ITB issues this year about 1 1/2 months before Comrades. I can suggest:

1) Make sure shoes are correct

2) REST!!!

3) Do plenty of stretches (Dont foam roll your ITB directly, foam roll glutes/quads/calves)

4) Work on core strength and imbalances in your core (Side clamshell raises, pelvic thrusts etc)

5) Dry Needling to ITB (Hurts and not comfortable but This really helped me get back on track)

After trying all of the above I started doing glute exercises and my ITB disappeared. It all depends on the cause.

I see that CMA are reviewing the whole Comrades entry process, incl qualifying times and entry fees. Wonder if qualifying times will be relaxed and fees increased. I think they saw last year that they can seriously capatalize on the Parkrun boom. Anyhow, entries wont open on 1 September. We can probably expect a rush when it does eventually open.

After trying all of the above I started doing glute exercises and my ITB disappeared. It all depends on the cause.

My Bio talks about our glutes as almost being shock absorbers, so the stronger they are, the less stress translated down the leg on each impact. Kind of makes sense, although I am sure it's a helluva lot more complicated than that...

In what way? 

Well imagine you have run- 

100miler, 2x 60km skyruns, 40km sky marathon, 50km across the lower berg only to be told none of them count as qualifiers. But you can run a 42 with 1200m descent and only 200 ascent to qualify.

Basically because they base their qualifying on fees paid to a governing body and partnering club event, not on will this person be able to complete this 'tough event.'