ScottCM

I'm not sure why their international entry fees have to be 7 times that of locals...

How much is it?...I paid €75 for the Amsterdam marathon.. So would be prepared to pay up to €200 for comrades

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that CMA are reviewing the whole Comrades entry process, incl qualifying times and entry fees. Wonder if qualifying times will be relaxed and fees increased. I think they saw last year that they can seriously capatalize on the Parkrun boom. Anyhow, entries wont open on 1 September. We can probably expect a rush when it does eventually open.

They can't relax quali time any more than what they are now. I think 5 hours is already cutting it fine

How much is it?...I paid €75 for the Amsterdam marathon.. So would be prepared to pay up to €200 for comrades

R3300 international, locals R500.

Quite a spread. Especially if you're a foreigner living in SA.

Agreed though if you're only visiting SA for Comrades its seem cheap as chips, in US I know even small runs have massive entry fees.

Edit: *last years fees.

Edited by CBlake

My Bio talks about our glutes as almost being shock absorbers, so the stronger they are, the less stress translated down the leg on each impact. Kind of makes sense, although I am sure it's a helluva lot more complicated than that...

My shocks need replacing for sure

They can't relax quali time any more than what they are now. I think 5 hours is already cutting it fine

Do they really care if an extra 5000 runners pull out at halfway?

Maybe they plan on making it 4h30...????

I see that CMA are reviewing the whole Comrades entry process, incl qualifying times and entry fees. Wonder if qualifying times will be relaxed and fees increased. I think they saw last year that they can seriously capatalize on the Parkrun boom. Anyhow, entries wont open on 1 September. We can probably expect a rush when it does eventually open.

I seriously believe that the current qualifying times are already to lenient, which results in too many DNF's on the day and the prospects of serious health complications for the back of the pack runners.  For something like comrades with the current massive field, they could trim the field by making the qualifiers for a marathon more in the line of 4hr15min, or an average of approximately 6min/km.  Obviously on race day that would equate to the back of the pack running comrades around 7 to 8 min/km.  entry fees can be increased according to inflation, offset by the sale of branded merchandise and sponsorships.

An alternative funding model can also be be considered where entry fee is determined by qualifying time on a marathon.  3Hrs = R300, 4hrs =R400 for example, so as to incentivize faster qualifying times and a more rigorous training regime.  Also qualifying races within specific training windows can be given further discounts, so as to encourage the adoption of safer and  more structured training.  Just a thought.  Almost like setting up a strava portfolio, like momentum and discovery, where sound training principles are rewarded.  A training/biological "Passport" of sorts.  The big data analytics are available to make it a viable consideration.

I sincerely hope that the entries for Comrades is not increased for next year. The roads just cannot handle the masses in the first 20-30km's. It must not become like a 94.7 where Joe Soap can buy running shoes and finish. I would even go as far as making an 11hr cutoff or alternatively more difficult seeding time/less batches.

I seriously believe that the current qualifying times are already to lenient, which results in too many DNF's on the day and the prospects of serious health complications for the back of the pack runners.  For something like comrades with the current massive field, they could trim the field by making the qualifiers for a marathon more in the line of 4hr15min-4hr30min, or an average of approximately 6min/km.  Obviously on race day that would equate to the back of the pack running comrades around 7 to 8 min/km.  entry fees can be increased according to inflation, offset by the sale of branded merchandise and sponsorships.

An alternative funding model can also be be considered where entry fee is determined by qualifying time on a marathon.  3Hrs = R300, 4hrs =R400 for example, so as to incentivize faster qualifying times and a more rigorous training regime.  Also qualifying races within specific training windows can be given further discounts, so as to encourage the adoption of safer and  more structured training.  Just a thought.  Almost like setting up a strava portfolio, like momentum and discovery, where sound training principles are rewarded.  A training/biological "Passport" of sorts.  The big data analytics are available to make it a viable consideration.

Couldnt agree with your more

Well imagine you have run- 

100miler, 2x 60km skyruns, 40km sky marathon, 50km across the lower berg only to be told none of them count as qualifiers. But you can run a 42 with 1200m descent and only 200 ascent to qualify.

Basically because they base their qualifying on fees paid to a governing body and partnering club event, not on will this person be able to complete this 'tough event.'

Fair enough  :lol: 

They want your license money boet! Just smile and wave

Does anyone have stats? Im sure a 4h15 or even 4h30 qualifier would exclude way more than half of Comrades runners.

It would... more than half the field finish in that last hour

An alternative funding model can also be be considered where entry fee is determined by qualifying time on a marathon. 3Hrs = R300, 4hrs =R400 for example, so as to incentivize faster qualifying times and a more rigorous training regime. Also qualifying races within specific training windows can be given further discounts, so as to encourage the adoption of safer and more structured training. Just a thought. Almost like setting up a strava portfolio, like momentum and discovery, where sound training principles are rewarded. A training/biological "Passport" of sorts. The big data analytics are available to make it a viable consideration.

I've suggested this to them actually. Like Boston.. You can earn an entry or you can buy an entry through sponsorship. Set the quali time back to 4:30 and then make the cost per entry for 4:30 to 4:45 R750 and 4:45 to 5:00 R1000.

Does anyone have stats? Im sure a 4h15 or even 4h30 qualifier would exclude way more than half of Comrades runners.

On this thread I think.. Go back to just after comrades and I think there are some stats showing where numbers from different batches finished

I seriously believe that the current qualifying times are already to lenient, which results in too many DNF's on the day and the prospects of serious health complications for the back of the pack runners.  For something like comrades with the current massive field, they could trim the field by making the qualifiers for a marathon more in the line of 4hr15min, or an average of approximately 6min/km.  Obviously on race day that would equate to the back of the pack running comrades around 7 to 8 min/km.  entry fees can be increased according to inflation, offset by the sale of branded merchandise and sponsorships.

1.  It is quite fine as it is actually.

2.  Why get the genetically slower runners (but still able to finish <12h) to pay more?   Also keep in mind that more often than not the more talented runner can actually get away with less training, for the same result.  Now you want the nail the slower guys twice?  That is not really in the spirit of Comrades.

Paddaman - what is your Comrades finishing time?

post-57330-0-37140400-1535454448_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pieter-za

1. It is quite fine as it is actually.

2. Why get the genetically slower runners (but still able to finish <12h) to pay more? Also keep in mind that more often than not the more talented runner can actually get away with less training, for the same result. Now you want the nail the slower guys twice? That is not really in the spirit of Comrades.

Paddaman - what is your Comrades finishing time?

There's no such thing as being genetically slower.. It's about training... Sure I understand that following a strict programme and running 1000's of Kms is not gonna get everyone to a silver or gold or even a bill Rowan... But... Anyone can train to an 11hr comrades if you put in the effort.

So back to your question.. Why charge more for slower qualification? To force people to train harder for a faster quali time. I don't agree exactly with paddamans approach. I would prefer to see all posting the same up to 4:30 and paying a premium for 4:30 to 5 hour qualifier. What is the advantage of this? It's helps to spread the field because now you have some people that would ordinarily have come in in the last hour coming in 30 to 40 minutes earlier. This alleviates congestion for the final hour.

Everyone on this thread is capable of a 4:30 qualifying time