12hr cut off

Entries open 19 October

R600 for Sa residents - R3800 for Foreign

New Qualifying of 4h50 - 6h45 for Oceans

2 New Medals

Roche Kelly Medal- Womens Wally - from 11th - 7h30

Robert Mtshali Medal - 9hrs to 10hrs

They seem to keep watering this race down

Have they never heard of the saying - If it aint broken don't fix it...

I would structure the 2019 race in this manner:

* Marathon Qualifying time - 4Hr40mins (Makes it more challenging to qualify - ''gives the race more prestige'' and keep the tail enders honest). Less medical incidents before cutoff as people are forced to train harder to qualify.

* Entry - You MUST qualify BEFORE you can enter (like what they want to do in 2020)

* Entry Fee - Yes it increased to R600 but so has the winners prize money and charity contributions - no problem there.

* Charity Runners - Runners that have raised R 6000 for charity shouldn't start in 'C' batch by default which often causes bottle necks as they often not quick enough for this batch, they should start further back in 'E' batch

* Cut Off - Remains 12Hrs 

* Entry Limit - 20,000 runners (less runners to navigate through - batches not so big)

* Special Medals - Hell NO! (Comrades is built on history)

* Clothing - Mizuno (Can the manufacturers finally sort out their sizing - always miles to small based on size)

*Busses - Should be a rule that busses MUST keep left on the route to allow faster runners to pass on the right. No group of runners should take up the entire road.

Just my 2cents worth.

Edited by Gringo

Both bad

A Wally is hard...a sub 7:30 for women is easier. The equivalent should be sub 7 at least

The second one.. Just stupid.. But I guess it's to try alleviate the mass of people at the end... But that's not gonna help.

If you wanna get something more special than a bronze . Then train hard and get a sub 9...

In 2018 there were 10 Wally Haywards and 17 women's silvers.

In 2017 there were 8 Wally Haywards and just 5 women's silvers.

2016 was pretty evenly matched at 16 and 17 respectively.

So it's fair to say that the Wally Hayward and the women's silver are pretty evenly matched in terms of performance.  If they were to change the criteria to sub 7:00, there would be only 2 medals issued in the last 3 years. A far cry from the 34 Wally Haywards over the same time.

Edited by Barry Stuart

In 2018 there were 10 Wally Haywards and 17 women's silvers.

In 2017 there were 8 Wally Haywards and just 5 women's silvers.

2016 was pretty evenly matched at 16 and 17 respectively.

So it's fair to say that the Wally Hayward and the women's silver are pretty evenly matched in terms of performance.  If they were to change the criteria to sub 7:00, there would be only 2 medals issued in the last 3 years. A far cry from the 34 Wally Haywards over the same time.

fair enough points......still doesnt sit right for me....

Something comrades and all major races should consider in my opinion is what Hardrock 100 does in the states, 

Service Requirement

There is a Service Requirement for admission to the run, consisting of 8 hours service in either a) an aid station at an ultra, b) the management of an ultra, or c) work on a trail used by an ultra. The service must be completed by July 1st. Certification of the service is due by July 1, and the form describing the service must be signed by the RD of the ultra for which the service was performed. Runners on the wait list on July 1 must have their service form in if they are to be considered to take the place of subsequent withdrawals from the start list. The window for performing the service begins July 1 of the previous year (i.e. 7/1/17 for the 2018 run).

(take a second to compose yourself before you watch this...)

Seen it before, is a great clip with all round feel good factor, good on Nike!!

fair enough points......still doesnt sit right for me....

Look at it this way, they haven't changed any times or made anything easier. They've simply given the women's silver medal a name honouring the first lady to run sub 7:30. Then Robert Mtshali gets some well deserved commemoration in the form of a time medal, which is simply another time incentive much like the introduction of the Bill Rowan, which so many of us mid-packers now covet.

The only time adjustment that has been made is the reduction of the qualifying time. So they haven't watered the race down, they've given more runners more goals and made the entry criteria slightly more difficult.

Look at it this way, they haven't changed any times or made anything easier. They've simply given the women's silver medal a name honouring the first lady to run sub 7:30. Then Robert Mtshali gets some well deserved commemoration in the form of a time medal, which is simply another time incentive much like the introduction of the Bill Rowan, which so many of us mid-packers now covet.

The only time adjustment that has been made is the reduction of the qualifying time. So they haven't watered the race down, they've given more runners more goals and made the entry criteria slightly more difficult.

Her best time was 7:18... Should have made that the time then